It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I remember Crean saying at a luncheon type deal....he didn't know how bad the situation was when he was hired actually was until he got inside the program. He wasn't talking about the players either. I think what Crean did was absolutely phenomenal. 

I do remember hearing Crean bash the administration after he was let go 

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Just sent this to the generic BOT email

Dear Board of Trustees members:

My name is Scott Roberts and a long time fan Of IU sports.  I have watched IU basketball for 50 years and want to let you know I am totally embarrassed of the product we are seeing on the court.  We have been mediocre at best for the last 25 years and it is time for that to change.  I really hope the rumors are not correct that the administration has de-emphasized sports especially men's basketball.  I have heard you guys don't want a strong personality coaching like when coach Knight was here.  I really hope you want to put an elite product on the court like we were use to for many years.

This fan base is fed up with the mediocrity and there is plenty of apathy in this fan base.  If you do not fire coach Miller after this year you will see more and more of these letters and will see less people in the seats of Assembly Hall next year.  I hope you realize that the basketball program is the Universities best advertisement to increase your enrollment.    I felt bad for my daughter who had spent her last 4 years in Bloomington and was never able to see a winning basketball team in her time there.

Please go out there and find the top coach out there and don't go cheap and just bring in another mid major coach like you did with coach Miller.  There are plenty of big name coaches you need to go after and see if they are interested in the job.  It is time for you guys to do your job better and bring a winning basketball team back to Indiana like it is supposed to be.

Sincerely,

Scott Roberts

Want me to print it out and hand deliver it?  I will be in Bloomington on monday and after all this is a public university that our tax dollars pay for so I can go wherever the hell I want to. 

I will even add my name to it. 

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Thinking about writing a letter myself.  Here's the start of my first draft.  Let me know what you think.

Hello, my name is Brad Stevens and I would like to seek employment with your university..........

To add to it.

Pay me and I will come. 

Rather than me picking it up, anyone can email and I can print it. It is 2021 after all.  I will still hand deliver.  

I haven’t read much, so I’m sure that I’m beating a dead horse here. 

I understand that $10 million is a lot of money to pay someone who wouldn’t be employed any longer. That being said; How long before people stop caring, and how will it take the powers that be realize that the product we put out matters to the overall earning power? 

Today, I caught myself not caring enough to watch. I’ve been watching since the early eighties, and now, for the majority of my life, we’ve been underwhelming. This is a problem. When our program is being compared to Nebraska Football, I take offense... but can I really be upset at the comparison? 

The bottom line is that we need a major change in order to re-emerge from dweller status. I was listening to sports talk radio this afternoon, and one of the guys said something that had me laughing hysterically. He said, and I quote, “cicadas may come and go, and come back again - before the Indiana Hoosiers figure out what’s going on with their basketball program.” 

I mean, that’s sad, but maybe true... all you can do is laugh anymore. That’s scary. 

56 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Need more people doing the same thing.  Since I am a nobody and is not a donor my words don't mean much

But I work in town and am serious when I say I will show up and knock on the door.  Letters in and I will cosign all of them. I'm tired of this garbage.  

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Need more people doing the same thing.  Since I am a nobody and is not a donor my words don't mean much

The part about your daughter not seeing a winning team in her 4 years at IU was a pretty powerful statement. That can make stuff happen if they hear it from enough people. 

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Go for it, I am sure the BOT won't read my e-mail

One of my greatest memories is my dad took to Assembly Halll, showed me the trophy room,and we straight up walked on the Assembly hall floor and shot around.  RMK was an [edited] as usual,(still love the guy) @Billingsley99 you understand why we still love RMK. 

Anyway but would you expect any different?, but his assistant Norm Ellenberger gave us a tour of the locker rooms.  

My point is, I am very familiar with Indiana University even thought I didnt go there because $$$.

But I work in town and am so pissed off I will bust down doors and deliver letters in person for y'all. 

Edit: Please don't use foul language on the board. Keep it clean, as has always been one of our rules.

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

One of my greatest memories is my dad took to Assembly Halll, showed me the trophy room,and we straight up walked on the Assembly hall floor and shot around.  RMK was an asshole as usual,(still love the guy) @Billingsley99 you understand why we still love RMK. 

Anyway but would you expect any different?, but his assistant Norm Ellenberger gave us a tour of the locker rooms.  

My point is, I am very familiar with Indiana University even thought I didnt go there because $$$.

But I work in town and am so pissed off I will bust down doors and deliver letters in person for y'all. 

You need to form a rally outside the AD's office

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Over text and phone calls. Same thing with Sampson. It’s not even a violation anymore.

part of out fan base needs to decide what’s more important, winning or the “the right way”.

you can’t have both. 

6 hours ago, JugRox said:

Over text and phone calls. Same thing with Sampson. It’s not even a violation anymore.

part of out fan base needs to decide what’s more important, winning or the “the right way”.

you can’t have both. 

This is how I feel about texts and phone calls being a violation. Seriously so weak. 

Edit (BGleas): Edited this post to remove the GIF. Let's not use derogatory images. 

On 2/26/2021 at 11:26 PM, Seeking6 said:

So one coach works....during a 30 year tenure and is the top of all hoops. Since that point....4 hires (Davis, Sampson, Crean, Archie) and none do? Are you saying or seeing the same level of support?

Just play the numbers. I can't imagine being in a world where fans aren't recognizing what has happened in Bloomington over the last 20.  IU admin doesn't want IU hoops to be as big as it ever was. It's an academia world in Bloomington right now.

PS....ask Harbaugh what he thinks of IU admin. 

A little behind the curve but agree, IU is all about Academics, but they are falling behind in that area too. I have my opinions why but rules, you know. 

8 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

One of my greatest memories is my dad took to Assembly Halll, showed me the trophy room,and we straight up walked on the Assembly hall floor and shot around.  RMK was an [edited] as usual,(still love the guy) @Billingsley99 you understand why we still love RMK. 

You're not allowed to say that on this board.

Edit: I edited the original post. Let's also not quote posts that use foul language. The better way is to report the post so mods get a notification and can clean it up. Thanks!

At this point there isn’t much we can do ,but watch other teams come to Indiana to play in the NCAA tournament while we wish we could be in it! 
Really how can this me fixed! Archie has got every Mr Basketball yet can’t surround them with enough talent to have a winning record. So at this point what can he tell future recruits. 

Come to Indiana an be mediocre at best bottom feeder more then likely. 

I was talking about this with my dad the other day...I hear people, not necessarily on this board, who say “well Michigan is really good, they are ranked #4...we actually played them pretty tough up until....”. I don’t care about that at all. That’s not the issue here with me. Like I told my dad, the fact that it’s not IU who is ranked #4 in the country is the problem. It’s supposed to be IU who is ranked that high every year. We aren’t supposed to be happy that we happened to play decent against a highly ranked team. Ranked near the bottom of the conference and having losing records the past 4 years is just not where we are supposed to be at all.  
  People on the outside who aren’t IU fans think we have this holier than thou thinking of ourselves, and that we have unrealistic expectations of ourselves, but that’s just dumb. No we absolutely don’t. Why does it have to be a bad thing to expect ourselves to be elite? I really like Archie and feel for him for how he’s probably feeling about all of this but I just don’t see how he’s going to be able to magically make next year a huge success. I miss the excitement around the program and teams fearing to play us, instead of the “well at least we have IU this week”. I’ve heard as well that if Archie loses to Purdue again then he’s pretty much done, but let’s say we lose to Michigan State, but then happen to play out of our minds (as rare of an occasion that is) against Purdue and it saves him for another year? Beating Purdue once out of the last 98 times doesn’t necessarily tell me he turned a corner and we are set up to be good next year. A part of me wants to say Dolson should know the right thing to do and will get it done, especially since Archie wasn’t his hire anyways. Never know until that time comes I guess. 

1 minute ago, IUrocker said:

I was talking about this with my dad the other day...I hear people, not necessarily on this board, who say “well Michigan is really good, they are ranked #4...we actually played them pretty tough up until....”. I don’t care about that at all. That’s not the issue here with me. Like I told my dad, the fact that it’s not IU who is ranked #4 in the country is the problem. It’s supposed to be IU who is ranked that high every year. We aren’t supposed to be happy that we happened to play decent against a highly ranked team. Ranked near the bottom of the conference and having losing records the past 4 years is just not where we are supposed to be at all.  
  People on the outside who aren’t IU fans think we have this holier than thou thinking of ourselves, and that we have unrealistic expectations of ourselves, but that’s just dumb. No we absolutely don’t. Why does it have to be a bad thing to expect ourselves to be elite? I really like Archie and feel for him for how he’s probably feeling about all of this but I just don’t see how he’s going to be able to magically make next year a huge success. I miss the excitement around the program and teams fearing to play us, instead of the “well at least we have IU this week”. I’ve heard as well that if Archie loses to Purdue again then he’s pretty much done, but let’s say we lose to Michigan State, but then happen to play out of our minds (as rare of an occasion that is) against Purdue and it saves him for another year? Beating Purdue once out of the last 98 times doesn’t necessarily tell me he turned a corner and we are set up to be good next year. A part of me wants to say Dolson should know the right thing to do and will get it done, especially since Archie wasn’t his hire anyways. Never know until that time comes I guess. 

Apathy has set in.  With Dolson he was assigned the basketball program as one of his roles under Glass.  Do we know for sure he wasn't part of the hiring process?  

Archie was the hot hire, no doubt about it!  But, it still doesn't make sense to me how Glass at a press conference said one check is to havr IU ties.  Now, maybe no one wanted it at the time.  But, with healing that occured last year with Knight's return....maybe different story.

No one should underestimate what happened on the court last year when Knight returned.  It opened the doors for someone to come in without the division and be able to establish a program based on tradition and forward thinking.

Now is the time to capitalize.

17 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

There are people in Bloomington who think it's more important to be known for what our academics do instead of athletics....

Wait, you're saying there are people at an institution of higher learning, which exists to educate people and help prepare them for life, that want to be known for successful academic programs as opposed to it's extracurricular activities??  How dare they!!!  I want perspective employers to see my IU degree and admire me because a basketball team one some games.  Who give's a rat's ass about the quality of the academics, I'm the right hire, because Calbert Cheaney was a really good player and I went to school with him.  O.o

5 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Wait, you're saying there are people at an institution of higher learning, which exists to educate people and help prepare them for life, that want to be known for successful academic programs as opposed to it's extracurricular activities??  How dare they!!!  I want perspective employers to see my IU degree and admire me because a basketball team one some games.  Who give's a rat's ass about the quality of the academics, I'm the right hire, because Calbert Cheaney was a really good player and I went to school with him.  O.o

Exactly. Wish more people saw it the way you and I do..

8 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

When done right, the two should compliment each other.  At Indiana, when compared to our BIG peers, I think we are near the bottom of the league in academic rankings and our most visible athletic program is as well.

So we are relying on a (hopefully) burgeoning football program to cover what is being lost from the basketball program.

12 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

👏 👏 👏 

3 minutes ago, OLDIUFAN said:

I don’t think anyone wants a second class academic school ! I would think that a successful basketball program would bring in lots of money to help have higher academics! 
Does anyone think that a Duke degree is only second tier! What about NC I think not. We can have both! 

Sorry, if a perspective employee shows me a UNC degree, my first thought is to wonder if it is real.  You can thank the basketball team for that.

Archived