It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I always hate seeing some say that if you didn't attend IU how can you be a real fan.  To me I have seen a bunch of old guys who never attended IU but has been fans for 50+ years.  To me they are more of a fan than a kid who came from say New York who didn't even know what IU basketball was before they got here.

That's why we have these!

Screenshot_20201121-125940.thumb.png.973b5ea8caa7a7c05afb81eafff6a732.png

Screenshot_20201121-131845.thumb.png.f550fb58df381fe74302bc9669a8df2a.png

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I totally disagree.  Love Mitch. He was one of the best governors out there and now is a top university president.  IU students will always have a majority of its student body coming from in state as a state school and the implications with state taxes.  

I went to IU in-state but I’m all for IU getting as many top students as possible.  This is a competitive world and we are built on capitalistic principles.   IU should not be handing out spots like it’s a charity.  Look at Michigan, North Carolina, Virginia and top echelon state schools.  You have to earn your way in there.  Rightfully so.

The more top students you have, the better your school will be in the end. 

Ironic that you come in here like the church lady preaching the importance of academics and then you want IU to lower its standards.  Apparently, many of us have much higher standards for IU than you do. I have degrees from three different departments  at IU and I want the best.

I couldn’t agree more with Mitch. There are plenty of in state options if you don’t get into IUB. Ball State.  ISU.  Numerous satellite schools etc.  And I am not taking a shot at any of those schools. Respect them all.  But there is no problem with a kid going there if IU standards are high.  

There is a lot to unpack here, but let me first apologize if I came across as a "Church Lady"  It's certainly not my intention.  I went to IU and had four of the best year's of my life.  My son who finished top 30 in his class was not admitted.  Then I read Mitch dismiss instate kids to satellite campuses.  I think that is wrong.  Like most people on this board, I think an Indiana kid should get preference over an out of state kid of similar abilities, whether it be basketball or academics.  But if two kids of similar backgrounds apply, the out of state kid will get preference because he or she will be paying 3 times as much for the same chair, and out of state kids aren't applying to IU Kokomo. Just my opinion, nothing more.  My son has excelled at a satellite campus, and there is no reason to think he wouldn't have done so at IUB, but he didn't get the chance.  He missed out on the big school experience, that disappoints me (probably more so than him).  I am not advocating for IU to accept just anyone, It's good to have high standards, but it doesn't appear that IU is doing that or the ranking would be better.  Anyway, no reason to derail the thread further.  Again, my apologies.

12 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

There is a lot to unpack here, but let me first apologize if I came across as a "Church Lady"  It's certainly not my intention.  I went to IU and had four of the best year's of my life.  My son who finished top 30 in his class was not admitted.  Then I read Mitch dismiss instate kids to satellite campuses.  I think that is wrong.  Like most people on this board, I think an Indiana kid should get preference over an out of state kid of similar abilities, whether it be basketball or academics.  But if two kids of similar backgrounds apply, the out of state kid will get preference because he or she will be paying 3 times as much for the same chair, and out of state kids aren't applying to IU Kokomo. Just my opinion, nothing more.  My son has excelled at a satellite campus, and there is no reason to think he wouldn't have done so at IUB, but he didn't get the chance.  He missed out on the big school experience, that disappoints me (probably more so than him).  I am not advocating for IU to accept just anyone, It's good to have high standards, but it doesn't appear that IU is doing that or the ranking would be better.  Anyway, no reason to derail the thread further.  Again, my apologies.

I’m speaking as a born Hoosier, living in Wisconsin, who coached a runner who got to go to IU from out of state.

Indiana kids, all things equal, ABSOLUTELY should get the nod 90+ percent of the time. Your taxes are supplementing the university cripes

42 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Three B1G coaches with red fire hot seats

A4BBF071-77E4-476A-8E80-1DA36A9692E1.jpeg

This is something I was just thinking about. With the way the situation at IU has completely fallen apart, we probably can’t afford to wait until next season to go looking for a coach if we’re going to be hiring out of the same pool as other Big Ten programs who may be in the market for new coaches (which is likely going to be the case).

We were in the middle tier of the Big Ten with teams like OSU and Illinois when we all made coaching changes in 2017, and we’ve seen how that turned out.  Now we’re in the bottom tier of the conference with teams like Minnesota, PSU, and Northwestern, all of which may be looking for new coaches this year.  Hopefully we’re not looking back kicking ourselves because they made good hires while we brought Archie back for one more pointless season and created an even bigger mess for the next guy.

1 hour ago, Muddy River said:

My daughter  was blessed to get admitted into IU with a full ride.  I would think it would be better for the state school of Indiana if they admitted the qualified in state applicants. 

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

They get considerably more money from out of state students. 

I know they do but to me sometimes you need to look at more than just revenue.  This is a state University and kids from that state that is qualified should get priority over out of state kids.  These kids will have more pride in the college and maybe represent it better.  In state kids will more likely stay in the state after school and might be more willing to donate to the University.

6 hours ago, Muddy River said:

I don't disagree, but I'm also not a fan of Mitch.  Mitch was quoted in the Indy Star saying that the WL campus was for out of state students, and that the satellite campuses were for the in state kids.  Don't know if he got that from IU of if IU got it from him, but both schools are operating on the same philosophy.  It's why I dropped out of the alumni association and stopped donating any money,

If the state of Indiana was still funding a majority of both Purdue and IU you would see less of a push for out of state students.  We can call both public funded if you want but the fact is they are about as close to private as they can be.  The university has been setup to have to look outside of IU for students to make up that gap.  And this isn’t just an IU issue, this is all across the country.  Schools at IU like Kelley and Jacobs have tried to push to be allowed to charge higher costs for their courses compared to general course at IU as they perceive what they offer to be of higher value than the standard credit cost IU charges.  Lots of other examples and I am not defending what Mitch said, that was dumb, but I think it’s clear IU and PU has been put in a position where it needs to look out of state to balance the lost funds the state no longer provides.

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I know the University needs the money but I think they put way to much emphasize on out of state students.  It seems like the academic standing has went down since they have changed their philosophy.   I know sports isn't the most important thing for the administration but having good sports teams can lead to more applications.  Also I think since they went to out of state students the student section at the game has went down.  You see a lot of games where students come in late or not at all.  To me these out of state students probably weren't big IU sports fans growing up so it doesn't mean anything to them.  For sports purpose it would be better to have more in state students come to IU because they would be more likely to want to get season tickets.

As I replied above unfortunately IU is closer to a private school than a public school.  They charge too little for in state tuition to make up for the lack of support from the state.  Out of state students make up the difference.  And this isn’t an IU only teared issue.

SEC schools are actively recruiting in other states including right here in Btown.  Alabama has had a table for the last few years at Bloomington north at the college career fair.  Why?  Because they need out of state students to come pay more money and boost the average GPA of incoming students.  

1 minute ago, John S said:

News flash.  Some really good bb right now as IA leads OS by 13 with 5 minutes to go.  Great game. Fast tempo.  All players engaged.   This is at OSU.   It looks like a different sport, compared to CAM style offense.   

OSU only has 55 points with 3 to go so their offense hasn't been great.  They were held to 28 points in the first half

2 hours ago, Muddy River said:

Thanks for your post.  I apologize if I came across too strongly.  My main point here is that I care a lot about IU the school first and foremost.  Advocating for basketball is not to say it’s more important than educating.   I see sports as a way to connect with the school as an alumnus and I believe sports can be used to accentuate the academics and research which are the purposes of the school.  

Regarding in-state, I do strongly agree that priority should be given to in-state students.  But I’m just referring to the Michigan, UNC, Virginia type of model where they try to attract top students from out of state.  This is not necessarily just a money grab, but a way of raising academic standing.  If IU’s overall prestige is enhanced, I believe it can come back to help the state.  

Thinking back on my days, I met a ton of kids in-state and out of state who had diverse experiences.  Being from in state, I learned a lot from meeting kids primarily from the suburbs of big cities around the country.  I learned from their experiences which were quite different from mine.  They might have been from different backgrounds or religions.  It was a great learning experience for me to be exposed to people I hadn’t met and to see that in the end, we are all much more similar and have more common than might be expected.  That’s part of the educational experience, at least for me.  

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I just think a lot of in state students probably grew up watching IU sports and be more inclined to buy season tickets.  I think they would be more invested in their success as well.  I always hate seeing some say that if you didn't attend IU how can you be a real fan.  To me I have seen a bunch of old guys who never attended IU but has been fans for 50+ years.  To me they are more of a fan than a kid who came from say New York who didn't even know what IU basketball was before they got here.

The in state kids are not watching IU sports all that much either.  I have a son that is in that prime watching age now (12) and the kids are not interested that much in IU because we stink.  If you are in high school, you were born after the Davis led run to the championship game.  Thise kids maybe remember 5 or 6 tournament appearances if they are in high school.  My son has had maybe 2, possibly 3 teams he can remember as tournament teams.

The reason the students are not there is because we are not winning.  Losing is boring.  A school like Indiana can support a loser team for awhile, but when that losing piles up, there are better things to do than trudge over to Assembly Hall in the cold and watch the team get beat for the 6th time at home.  That is even more true if your seats are in the balcony.

You can "not true fan" them all you want, but that is reality.  There was a reason we had the fan base we did for so many years when program like Northwestern and Penn State did not.  Casual fans are not in it to see "effort".  They want to cheer on winners.

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

They get considerably more money from out of state students. 

There are more things then money to consider. Like trying to keep smart and talented kids IN the state (as once they leave many don’t come back home). My issues are more with foreign students more so then anything. We teach and train them and then they go back to China etc along with our jobs and intellectual property they steal while here....and not just manufacturing but now tech jobs. Though I think I’m dragging this topic even further down a rabbit hole.

22 minutes ago, dgambill said:

There are more things then money to consider. Like trying to keep smart and talented kids IN the state (as once they leave many don’t come back home). My issues are more with foreign students more so then anything. We teach and train them and then they go back to China etc along with our jobs and intellectual property they steal while here....and not just manufacturing but now tech jobs. Though I think I’m dragging this topic even further down a rabbit hole.

I doubt where somebody goes to college has that much to do with where they work.  Not in this century.  I graduated during the recession so I didn’t get many interviews but none of them were for jobs in Indiana.  If there aren’t enough jobs nearby people are going to move.  And wow gotta love the blatant racism.  They are foreign/Asian so they must be thieves right?  

24 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I doubt where somebody goes to college has that much to do with where they work.  Not in this century.  I graduated during the recession so I didn’t get many interviews but none of them were for jobs in Indiana.  If there aren’t enough jobs nearby people are going to move.  And wow gotta love the blatant racism.  They are foreign/Asian so they must be thieves right?  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.zdnet.com/google-amp/article/fbi-is-investigating-more-than-1000-cases-of-chinese-theft-of-us-technology/

Look has nothing to do with racism...China is the worlds biggest thief. As for other countries I would rather not subsidize their educational systems by having our schools filled up with their students. Anyways this isn’t the time or place. You can pm me if you would like to discuss further. And I’d appreciate it if you would apologize for calling me racist. I know it’s the “in” thing to do but if you really think that of me I think you could talk to me privately before rushing to such an egregious opinion.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Nothing racist in that statement.  You are correct,  racist/racism get thrown around entirely too much these days.

4 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Nothing racist in that statement.  You are correct,  racist/racism get thrown around entirely too much these days.

Yeah. 😔 I get it....and if he thinks I’m wrong with my opinion so be it. Nothing wrong with that. But I just wouldn’t think people would throw out accusations like that on this board. I think so highly of people on here most of the time it kinda makes me sad.

Most universities use athletic programs to bring in the money needed to fund athletics and academics.

I'm about to go on a rant so forgive me. 

College tuition has been subsidized by the US government to the point  anyone can get a loan. IU has been sucking on that teet for years.  

Indiana University is meant for qualified in state students first and non residents 2nd. I wanted to go there but they priced me out.  

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

ONLY, on an IU basketball board would you read something like this.  You graduated in the early '40's?

Archived