It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

44 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

If true.....recipe for disaster.

I feel like everyone is making too much of an issue with this.  It is more than obvious TJD wants to win, so he vocalized his displeasure.  As someone who manages people, sometimes I would rather have people who scream, then sit quiet.  Oftentimes, those are the people that care.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

If you can't land that proven coach, then maybe start looking at a IU guy, because at that point, it's all a crapshoot as far as a sure thing.

That is my thoughts as well.  We have tried getting guys who had scandals in his past, hired a guy who won at a big east school, hired an up and coming mid major coach.  Non of them worked so why not try to bring back the IU culture with an IU guy.  I have said I would try Keith Smart but I think Fife might be the answer if it is an IU guy.

I think if we hadn't been so mediocre for the last 25 years I'd be more open to an unproven coach like Fife. I just want to see us win again and would have more faith in someone with past success. We've gotten this wrong so many times now that it makes me skeptical an unproven coach has success out of the gates. 

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Roy Williams had no HC experience when KU hired him.

Izzo had no HC experience when hired at MSU

Boheim had no HC experience when hired at Syracuse

If we were one of those programs, I'd have much more faith in the administration making a sound, competent hire, but I understand where you're coming from.

Just now, IU Scott said:

That is my thoughts as well.  We have tried getting guys who had scandals in his past, hired a guy who won at a big east school, hired an up and coming mid major coach.  Non of them worked so why not try to bring back the IU culture with an IU guy.  I have said I would try Keith Smart but I think Fife might be the answer if it is an IU guy.

Fife would be my choice as well if we went the IU guy route.  Maybe try to get Cheaney on staff and get a proven recruiter.  I would be for a setup like that.  Don't think Alford could be that guy though, unless he's improved as a coach.

Just now, IUALUM03 said:

I feel like everyone is making too much of an issue with this.  It is more than obvious TJD wants to win, so he vocalized his displeasure.  As someone who manages people, sometimes I would rather have people who scream, then sit quiet.  Oftentimes, those are the people that care.

Yeah, I would agree, especially in a season that's been as frustrating as this one on so many levels. I do think it's a much bigger deal if it was directed at CAM directly, though. 

If we were one of those programs, I'd have much more faith in the administration making a sound, competent hire, but I understand where you're coming from.

Well KU was on probation after Larry Brown left there

MSU was stuck in mediocrity under Jud Heathcote

Really have no clue how Syracuse was when they hired Boheim.

Fife would be my choice as well if we went the IU guy route.  Maybe try to get Cheaney on staff and get a proven recruiter.  I would be for a setup like that.  Don't think Alford could be that guy though, unless he's improved as a coach.

I don't know what Cheaney wants out of coaching, doe she like the NBA or does he want to be in college coaching.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't know what Cheaney wants out of coaching, doe she like the NBA or does he want to be in college coaching.

This is a complete guess but I think he would want to stay in the NBA unless a great head coaching opportunity arose in college for him.

14 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

On top of this, most of these kids are winners in high school. Not really used to losing. In the middle of a frustrating game... I don’t believe this to be much of anything. Could be wrong ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

If you want a coach like Juwan Morgan, than just hire the guy that handed Morgan a highly successful program - Beilein. That's the one guy that can get the program up and running quickly, still has cache, and it seems like the NBA controversy has died down (and I don't think he's had anything like that happen to him in the past). He's a bit up there in age, so if he gets the program back to where it should be, then you can take a risk on a younger IU guy with his replacement. 

7 minutes ago, Bushmage said:

This is a complete guess but I think he would want to stay in the NBA unless a great head coaching opportunity arose in college for him.

I wanted Calbert 15 years ago. He was a big part of Creans success as well. When he left was when the wheels started to fall off the bus.

2 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

If you want a coach like Juwan Morgan, than just hire the guy that handed Morgan a highly successful program - Beilein. That's the one guy that can get the program up and running quickly, still has cache, and it seems like the NBA controversy has died down (and I don't think he's had anything like that happen to him in the past). He's a bit up there in age, so if he gets the program back to where it should be, then you can take a risk on a younger IU guy with his replacement. 

Juwan Morgan is a younger IU guy, but I think he's still on the Jazz:coffee:

5 minutes ago, Inequality said:

I wanted Calbert 15 years ago. He was a big part of Creans success as well. When he left was when the wheels started to fall off the bus.

This is why I think he'd be a promising candidate. I do agree he doesn't swing enough weight as Juwan Howard for recruiting when making the comparison, but fill the staff out with solid recruiters and I think we're looking pretty good.

14 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

On top of this, most of these kids are winners in high school. Not really used to losing. In the middle of a frustrating game... I don’t believe this to be much of anything. Could be wrong ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I believe I remember Lander saying that he and TJD thought they would dominate the the B1G together.  That's a funny quote in retrospect.  

2 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I believe I remember Lander saying that he and TJD thought they would dominate the the B1G together.  That's a funny quote in retrospect.  

Definitely not giving up on Lander. I think he will be very good. I was just expecting a little more this season. Maybe too much. Not going to “if” this to death, but maybe next season. 

So at this point in time now all that we have is the game at Purdue left on the schedule plus the BTT, I’m curious to know what percentage the likelihood is that Archie is indeed gone after this season...regardless of what caliber of coach we get to replace him. 

3 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

So at this point in time now all that we have is the game at Purdue left on the schedule plus the BTT, I’m curious to know what percentage the likelihood is that Archie is indeed gone after this season...regardless of what caliber of coach we get to replace him. 

In my mind 50-50 chance

14 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Juwan Morgan is a younger IU guy, but I think he's still on the Jazz:coffee:

I meant to put Juwan Morgan at the end of my post for an example of an IU guy down the line, kind of as a joke, but this is just funny as is. Leaving it.

42 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Roy Williams had no HC experience when KU hired him.

Izzo had no HC experience when hired at MSU

Boheim had no HC experience when hired at Syracuse

The trick is having the right guy on the ascent when the big name guys are on the descent.  I would argue Izzo, Williams, Calipari, K, etc. are starting to be on their decline, which is where we need to have that guy to take their place when these programs go through the inevitable transition from a HoF coach to the next guy, which always is a struggle outside of maybe Kansas has shown. 

Let's not forget UNC had their blip with Guthridge and Doherty, but lucked out that Williams was willing to leave a powerhouse program for them because of his ties to the program.  This is the natural cycle, but IU need to have the guy to take advantage, which they appear to not have currently.

Pete Thamel of Yahoo on Archie (among other coaches on the hot seat).  

https://sports.yahoo.com/coaching-carousel-sean-miller-arizona-patrick-ewing-191946911.html

2. What’s Archie Miller’s status at Indiana?

It’s an uneasy March for the Miller boys, as younger brother Archie is flailing at Indiana with four straight losses and a loud din of dissatisfaction around the state.

The feeling around Indiana is that things are shaky, but there’s yet to be any tangible momentum by the school to fire Archie Miller for his third non-NCAA tournament season in four years. (Indiana appeared on the cusp of reaching the NCAAs last year, projected as a No. 10 seed.)

The buyout of more than $10 million is borderline untenable in normal times and even more awkward amid a pandemic. Can Indiana’s athletic department can pull off paying out that money and rallying the cash for a $30 million contract – and potentially another huge buyout — to lure someone like Chris Beard, Scott Drew, John Beilein, Bobby Hurley or Mick Cronin? Probably not, as that would take sophistication, savvy and some groundwork that no one has seen any signs from in Bloomington. The backchannels are quiet, so far.

The biggest worry for new IU AD Scott Dolson should be that there’s little pathway on the current roster or via committed recruits to obvious improvement. There’s also not a no-brainer replacement, as hiring the caliber of coach Indiana would want is a high-wire act they don’t appear prepared to navigate. (We spoke about this at length on the Yahoo Sports College Podcast this week.)

Look for Archie Miller to be the face of next season’s coaching carousel. (The good news is that was Shaka Smart this season, and he’s saved himself.) Miller’s buyout also dips to nearly $3.5 million next season, which seems much more prudent. Until then, let the jokes about IU as a football school continue.

Former athletic director Fred Glass’ gave this job description before hiring Miller: “The expectations for Indiana University basketball are to perennially contend for and win multiple Big Ten championships, regularly go deep in the NCAA tournament, and win our next national championship—and more after that.”

IU is a long way from that.

47 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

You win $200 Million playing Powerball.  

You decide to set aside $10 Million for a donation to s single cause.

Do you donate your $10 million to? 

1. Your alma mater's scholarship fund
  2. Paying Archie's buyout

I've said on here before I believe. If I ever win a powerball like that....I'd have IU on probation within 3-4 years....but we'd have a title or two to show for it. 

10 minutes ago, TargaFlorio said:

Pete Thamel of Yahoo on Archie (among other coaches on the hot seat).  

https://sports.yahoo.com/coaching-carousel-sean-miller-arizona-patrick-ewing-191946911.html

JMV (radio guy out of Indianapolis) said today that last night's game was the lowest rated IU game on the network since a game against Eastern Whatever state back in 2017/2018.  For a game against Michigan State with a mathematical chance to still make the tournament should we win out, the fans of both programs chose to look elsewhere.

Hey Dolson, I think the apathy problem you were worried about is here.  I'm not watching on Saturday either and I have no desire to watch the BTT.  Going to be awesome if you yahoos follow the advice in the article and make Miller the poster boy for guys on the hot seat next year.  A half full Assembly Hall booing the team is going to be awesome optics.

Archived