It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

I think it's very important that we present a detailed ladder-like, pay-structure. One in which gives opportunity to really reap from success in a 1-10 year plan- that your pay will be even more success-driven, in which at IU, once at certain levels of success, we have the money to scale up your rewards. I think it's the only way we entertain someone talented. Also, may give the university some security year 1-2 with financing Archie

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Haven’t watched a complete game all this season. No interest. It’s mostly in protest and secondly for mental health and I’m not even kidding. I don’t need more crappy stuff in my life right now.

I can TOTALLY handle losing when we are clearly BUILDING towards something. We are back stroking in a pool full of trash juice and inviting people to cannonball in with us (fans).

Agree with this

9 minutes ago, Candystripes_56 said:

I think it's very important that we present a detailed ladder-like, pay-structure. One in which gives opportunity to really reap from success in a 1-10 year plan- that your pay will be even more success-driven, in which at IU, once at certain levels of success, we have the money to scale up your rewards. I think it's the only way we entertain someone talented. Also, may give the university some security year 1-2 with financing Archie

I doubt you would get any top candidates that way but probably won't get them anyways

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I doubt you would get any top candidates that way but probably won't get them anyways

Top candidates will come to IU under any structure.  Listened to Brian Evans podcast today with Hoosierhysterics-  Calapari wanted the IU job twice!  IU wouldn't even listen to him.  He said with Archie, Glass zeroed into him and didn't care to listen to anyone else or even interview others. Evans convinced top candidates will lineup for the job.

1 minute ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Top candidates will come to IU under any structure.  Listened to Brian Evans podcast today with Hoosierhysterics-  Calapari wanted the IU job twice!  IU wouldn't even listen to him.  He said with Archie, Glass zeroed into him and didn't care to listen to anyone else or even interview others. Evans convinced top candidates will lineup for the job.

Pitino also wanted it

8 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

I’d be ok paying a guy what he’s worth and sweetening the deal with massive incentives but no one worth 6-7 million a year is going to take 4-5 with the chance to make 8-9 if you follow me. Too many unknown variables for them that can prevent them from attaining those bonuses. Injuries, kids leaving early or transferring, etc

someone WORTH 8 getting paid 8 with a chance to make 10...that might put them over the edge and make up for aspects of what we offer that isn’t top notch like it should be.

8 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

We had arguably the 2nd biggest dumpster fire in college basketball history and we lured a guy from a top 25 program with a FF on his resume.  We'll get someone good.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Probably a few things that come into play.  I think the main one is that coaches today are just not moving around as much or going in a lateral move.  They care more about fit and happiness over just worrying ab out working up the ladder and money.

What? Coaches don't move around as much today as they used to? I'd love to see the data supporting that. 

50 minutes ago, Candystripes_56 said:

Based on what the AD just stated he will want to tie success with graduation rates and warm and fuzzy happiness....and maybe win some games if you can.

35 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Nobody wanted Cal so that is a good thing.  I am saying that they won't agree to a deal based solely on incentives.

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

What? Coaches don't move around as much today as they used to? I'd love to see the data supporting that. 

My own eyes because in the past guys like Few, McKillop, Byrd would never stayed at the level they are at.  The only reason Williams left KU was that he was an alumni.  Tell me what elite coaches left their jobs for another program in the lady few years.  I wouldn't say Cal because he was at Memphis to go to UK 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

My own eyes because in the past guys like Few, McKillop, Byrd would never stayed at the level they are at.  The only reason Williams left KU was that he was an alumni.  Tell me what elite coaches left their jobs for another program in the lady few years.  I wouldn't say Cal because he was at Memphis to go to UK 

So you have a few anecdotal examples, no data. That's pretty on brand.

And honestly, two of your examples are TERRIBLE. McKillop has made 7 NCAA Tournaments that didn't have a top 15 player of all time on his roster in 31 years. 

Belmont has made the NCAAT about 1/3 of the time under Byrd since they joined D1.

Then you discount an example that disproves you because.... why?

I think the better question is how many coaches stay at one job for the majority of their career? That's the exception, not the rule. A competent administration could easily sell the IU job to an elite coach; give them money and control of everything to run the program how they see fit. 

Just now, KoB2011 said:

So you have a few anecdotal examples, no data. That's pretty on brand.

And honestly, two of your examples are TERRIBLE. McKillop has made 7 NCAA Tournaments that didn't have a top 15 player of all time on his roster in 31 years. 

Belmont has made the NCAAT about 1/3 of the time under Byrd since they joined D1.

Then you discount an example that disproves you because.... why?

I think the better question is how many coaches stay at one job for the majority of their career? That's the exception, not the rule. A competent administration could easily sell the IU job to an elite coach; give them money and control of everything to run the program how they see fit. 

Most move to move up levels of programs and  not make lateral moves.  To me a Beard and Drew would not be moving up a level to come to IU.  What I hear is that IU fans think we can get an elite coach if we offer enough money but just disagree.  Self went from UI to KU which was a step up.  To me that would be like us Getting Oates which could happen.  

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Most move to move up levels of programs and  not make lateral moves.  To me a Beard and Drew would not be moving up a level to come to IU.  What I hear is that IU fans think we can get an elite coach if we offer enough money but just disagree.  Self went from UI to KU which was a step up.  To me that would be like us Getting Oates which could happen.  

Do you read what you say before clicking "Submit Reply"?

Texas Tech to IU is lateral

Baylor to IU is lateral

Illinois to Kansas is not lateral

Alabama to IU is not lateral

What in the world are you talking about? Either all of those are lateral or none of those are lateral. 

HINT: None of those are lateral moves. 

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Baylor and Texas Tech are on the same level as Alabama. All a step or 2 below Indiana in basketball coaching gigs. 

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Where IU is right now those two would be making lateral move.  Also yes KU is a upgrade above UI so that is not a lateral move.  You probably right about IU and Alabama.

Self had Illinois rolling. So using your example, KU wasn’t really an upgrade from what Self had at UI. Remember just a couple seasons after Self left his players went to a national title game at Illinois. 

Sorry if already posted. In this article the author thinks Miller will be back next season. He says the following:

The buyout of more than $10 million is borderline untenable in normal times and even more awkward amid a pandemic. Can Indiana’s athletic department can pull off paying out that money and rallying the cash for a $30 million contract – and potentially another huge buyout — to lure someone like Chris Beard, Scott Drew, John Beilein, Bobby Hurley or Mick Cronin? Probably not, as that would take sophistication, savvy and some groundwork that no one has seen any signs from in Bloomington. The backchannels are quiet, so far.

The biggest worry for new IU AD Scott Dolson should be that there’s little pathway on the current roster or via committed recruits to obvious improvement. There’s also not a no-brainer replacement, as hiring the caliber of coach Indiana would want is a high-wire act they don’t appear prepared to navigate.

Basically rehashing a bunch of things already said here. The one addition, which is disappointing if true, is that there hasn't been any actual movement towards firing and hiring a new coach. Maybe that changes when the season ends, but I kind of doubt it.

https://sports.yahoo.com/coaching-carousel-sean-miller-arizona-patrick-ewing-191946911.html

54 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Where IU is right now those two would be making lateral move.  Also yes KU is a upgrade above UI so that is not a lateral move.  You probably right about IU and Alabama.

IU has too much fertile recruiting ground to ever be lateral with Baylor or Texas Tech.  The coaches with the right kind of Ego would be lining up for this job. A chance to restore a once proud program.  The choices of candidates won’t ever be the problem, the problem will be and has been the administration 

I'll just say this. If I  was a coaches agent I'd be signing not only 5-7 year contract....the worth of the contract would almost be guaranteed. IU and everything that entails still has some juice....but right now what IU is known for is swallowing up the best available and kicking them to the curb in 5 years. Why would a coach who has a good thing going want to come here and risk having to reinvent themselves in 5 years. 

I don't like participating much in this thread so I'll just add this point. If IU doesn't have a home run lined up....you roll with Archie (if TJD is coming back) another year. Right now the available candidates don't look like some big upgrade. 

Archived