It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's the part I didn't hear in Dolson's thing with AJ yesterday. All I wanted to hear was Dolson say I've been given clearance to do whatever is necessary. Seems like a company guy. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong. 

Even if Dolson had he would never in a million years state that publicly on a podcast.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Archie was only hampered his first year here.  The rest has been on him.

This job is bigger than coaching games and practices.  Baskeball is life in Indiana, and being present on campus and off campus is important (non covid).  It needs a rockstar personality and a basketball mind.

New AD, who is a basketball guy, Knight back everything is right....need a guy that is a go getter to make the past part of the future and flexible enough to make the future successful.

IU has a huge almuni base, fan base, and media attention-  need someone who loves that part, not hides from it.

3 minutes ago, macomb hoosier said:

Fine, but Fife starting a head coaching career in Lansing would be totally different than walking into this mess. It's going to take more than a good coach to clean up this situation...unless that coach is a chosen one. Fife's family, contacts, etc. are in Michigan and they have a system that he has helped with. This team is not built like MSU and Fife has no experience building/working with anything else.

Fact is nobody knows who’s ready for it and who’s not. Again Fife was a name I wouldn’t be surprised about.  Nothing has been said that Fife is even a candidate.

2 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Again, let me reiterate that those were my names that I wouldn’t be shocked about.  I haven’t seen or heard of a “list” as of yet.  I know some names that were mentioned but that’s just talk as of now and it wasn’t Fife or Alford. Maybe that will clear it up a little.

Yes, I know and I like Musselman a lot. He seems to be about the best we could do given where we are at. Given his background (coach's son), I don't think he would shrink from the challenge.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

That's the part I didn't hear in Dolson's thing with AJ yesterday. All I wanted to hear was Dolson say I've been given clearance to do whatever is necessary. Seems like a company guy. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong. 

Nobody is ever going to say that publicly. My issue was with all the academic and player empowerment stuff first and he didn't get to winning until 3rd. 

For me as a fan, winning should be first. Players going to class and getting decent grades, as well as treating them well should be a given. I don't need the AD going through that, just tell us your #1 priority is a basketball program that compete for championships. 

The problem with IU is that I don't think their #1 priority is winning. Heck, the AD just told us it isn't. 

32 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

No more than normal, basically I’m saying “I don’t give a sh*t anymore if it’s right or wrong because I do know there are people who appreciate it.”  Plus it keeps my Inbox empty.

Thanks for you honest insight. It’s much appreciated. I sure loved when you and MilehIU tagged teamed at times. Keep up the good work.

Just now, BGleas said:

Nobody is ever going to say that publicly. My issue was with all the academic and player empowerment stuff first and he didn't get to winning until 3rd. 

For me as a fan, winning should be first. Players going to class and getting decent grades, as well as treating them well should be a given. I don't need the AD going through that, just tell us your #1 priority is a basketball program that compete for championships. 

The problem with IU is that I don't think their #1 priority is winning. Heck, the AD just told us it isn't. 

Guys. I know he would never say that in public. What I meant or I guess I need to quantify is I'd like to hear our AD say something along the lines of we have total support from administration to get IU back to where we want them to be.

That phrase implies the administration is an ally. Not someone we have to argue with. 

37 minutes ago, madmax said:

Yeah. But lost his will because of the losing? Or lost his will because there are things going on behind the scenes that have hamstrung him? I don't know of course, just simply speculating.

Seems like he lost his team. Next year's roster won't be better than this year's. I'm guessing he's broken and bailing himself out. Looking in hindsight, I have a newfound respect for Tom Crean. He was mocked and ridiculed and endured whole lot more than Archie, but he was a fighter till the end. And he inherited a dumpster fire, but fielded a #1 team in the country in his 4th season. Wow!

If and only if his teams knew how to attack in half court, I think he would still be here even without playing respectable defense. 

30 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I thought so initially but I’m willing to give anyone a chance.  What if Fife would bring in Lewis as an assistant, possibly Cheaney?  Fife can coach, is he ready for IU? Maybe we find out maybe we don’t.  Willing to give anyone a chance because I thought Archie was and he wasn’t the guy.  Maybe it will be an under the radar guy who brings us back!

Dane Fife loves attention, and I mean that in a good way. Been a recruiter and has learned from some of the top basketball minds. He is also a winner, IU alumn, comes from a basketball family, a McDonald's AA...he would be great.  

1 minute ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Dane Fife loves attention, and I mean that in a good way. Been a recruiter and has learned from some of the top basketball minds. He is also a winner, IU alumn, comes from a basketball family, a McDonald's AA...he would be great.  He will outwork everyone.

2 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Dane Fife loves attention, and I mean that in a good way. Been a recruiter and has learned from some of the top basketball minds. He is also a winner, IU alumn, comes from a basketball family, a McDonald's AA...he would be great.  

That would be an incredibly disappointing hire and would drive just as many fans away as would keeping Miller.

All this talk about elite, and Fife is the best you can do? What a joke.....

13 minutes ago, macomb hoosier said:

Fine, but Fife starting a head coaching career in Lansing would be totally different than walking into this mess. It's going to take more than a good coach to clean up this situation...unless that coach is a chosen one. Fife's family, contacts, etc. are in Michigan and they have a system that he has helped with. This team is not built like MSU and Fife has no experience building/working with anything else.

This really isn't a mess.  There is talent on this team, fanbase and alumni are no longer divided, all new facilities, updated arena, AD who is a basketball guy - It's in great shape.  Just need a coach that can take what it has and adapt it to win in todays game.  

1 minute ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

This really isn't a mess.  There is talent on this team, fanbase and alumni are no longer divided, all new facilities, updated arena, AD who is a basketball guy - It's in great shape.  Just need a coach that can take what it has and adapt it to win in todays game.  

fanbase and alumni are no longer divided 

Not sure about this one unless they hire Stevens or Beard. 

Hire Fife and see if the fan base divides.

I wish I could agree with you. We're going to finish 10th in the Big this year. We were 11th last year, and 9th the year before. I'm not going to keep going back. 

1 minute ago, JugRox said:

That would be an incredibly disappointing hire and would drive just as many fans away as would keeping Miller.

All this talk about elite, and Fife is the best you can do? What a joke.....

All I'm saying is that I wouldn't be disappointed.  And thats my opinion.  I want someone that this is their dream program and who can coach the heck out the game.  I also want someone that is like Allen and is out there.  You might not like Fife, I do. I also like the idea of some other coaches.  I will say, a lead assistant on MSU staff puts you in position for a big time job.

It’s only fun to speculate because it provides a bit of hope due to the unknown. As a fan that’s ok.
If the admin has intent to return to relevancy then they will go out and make it happen. If they intend to get warm and fuzzy over a glory day hire then they were the wrong person for the job. My opinion

24 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I have little to no faith that IU's administration can get this right. 

And there is my #1 concern in all of this.  Them goofing up yet another coaching hire.  I could just totally see this bumbling administration hiring someone like an Alford, Brad Brownell, Kevin Stallings, Kevin O'Neill, Seth Greenburg or someone along those lines.

22 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

You can't expect Dolson while the season is still going on talking about coaching changes or what the administration will let him do.

6 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

I am referring to the divide over Knight, including hia players.  

And hiring a former player that demanded Davis stay or he leaves is going to help that? 

It would be the worse hire in the last 20 years....and that’s saying something. lol

Hiring Fife would send the sign that the administration has just given up and grabbed a random former player to shut part of the fan base up for awhile. Which is going to make a lot of the fan base give up as well.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You can't expect Dolson while the season is still going on talking about coaching changes or what the administration will let him do.

Of course not. Feel like I'm in a car wash right now guys. I'll tap out. You guys have fun. 

2 minutes ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

And there is my #1 concern in all of this.  Them goofing up yet another coaching hire.  I could just totally see this bumbling administration hiring someone like an Alford, Brad Brownell, Kevin Stallings, Kevin O'Neill, Seth Greenburg or someone along those lines.

Yup. My other impression is that IU just moves down their list the second a guy they want says no. 

I realize Brad Stevens and Billy Donovan aren't coming here, but if you call Chris Beard and he says no, then call him back and up the price until he says yes. 

From what Chris Holtman said, he turned OSU down 3 times and they just kept calling. 

I dont think this administration has the backing to do that. 

Archived