It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

11 minutes ago, JugRox said:

Hire Fife and see if the fan base divides.

I see no reason for the base not be behind any coach who is hired.  Give them a chance before making a judgement on them.  i think that is a problem is that fans starts with a negative thinking of a coach and will never change that thining.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, BGleas said:

As much as I know this needs to happen and I agree that it's time and needs to happen, I still hate it. 

I really like Archie. At least what I know publicly, he seems like a good guy and I really thought we had found our guy. 

It's a real shame it hasn't worked out, and on the personal side I'm sad for Archie and his family, as well as the IU fan base. 

Such a good post. 

Just now, IU Scott said:

I see no reason for the base not be behind any coach who is hired.  Give them a chance before making a judgement on them.  i think that is a problem is that fans starts with a negative thinking of a coach and will never change that thining.

Ok, hire Sampson or Pearl. How about Self or Will Wade? You would support all those hires 100%, right?

33 minutes ago, BGleas said:

As much as I know this needs to happen and I agree that it's time and needs to happen, I still hate it. 

I really like Archie. At least what I know publicly, he seems like a good guy and I really thought we had found our guy. 

It's a real shame it hasn't worked out, and on the personal side I'm sad for Archie and his family, as well as the IU fan base. 

💯 with you on this.

1 minute ago, JugRox said:

Ok, hire Sampson or Pearl. How about Self or Will Wade? You would support all those hires 100%, right?

I wouldn't like it just like I didn't like the Archie hire but I will back them until proven other wise.  Also I know IU is smart enough not to hire a guy like Wade or Pearl.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I wouldn't like it just like I didn't like the Archie hire but I will back them until proven other wise.  Also I know IU is smart enough not to hire a guy like Wade or Pearl.

....and hopefully Fife as well... ;)

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yup. My other impression is that IU just moves down their list the second a guy they want says no. 

I realize Brad Stevens and Billy Donovan aren't coming here, but if you call Chris Beard and he says no, then call him back and up the price until he says yes. 

From what Chris Holtman said, he turned OSU down 3 times and they just kept calling. 

I dont think this administration has the backing to do that. 

I think you make those obligatory phone calls to Stevens/Donovan just to say you did, but after that you make someone like a Beard, Drew, Matta, Beilein, Musselman say yes, no matter what it takes.  But I think you're right, the administration just doesn't care enough to put the effort in (like OSU repeatedly calling Holtmann).  They've torpedoed the program so much, IU is much closer to Oklahoma State than it is Kansas/Duke/UK/UNC.  I really hope i'm wrong and they get a home run hire, but looking back on the last +20 years, i have little to no faith that'll happen. 

2 minutes ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

I think you make those obligatory phone calls to Stevens/Donovan just to say you did, but after that you make someone like a Beard, Drew, Matta, Beilein, Musselman say yes, no matter what it takes.  But I think you're right, the administration just doesn't care enough to put the effort in (like OSU repeatedly calling Holtmann).  They've torpedoed the program so much, IU is much closer to Oklahoma State than it is Kansas/Duke/UK/UNC.  I really hope i'm wrong and they get a home run hire, but looking back on the last +20 years, i have little to no faith that'll happen. 

I really wanted Matta but have been told he’s done because he can barely walk. 

Just now, JugRox said:

....and hopefully Fife and well... ;)

I wouldn't put Fife at the top of my list but if he is the hire then yes I would back him.  Also I am to the point that I think it would be better to have an IU guy.  To me it is clear that a coach at IU needs to know how to deal with the fans and their expectations.  He also needs to know that they have to go out of their way to promote IU by going to all of these alumni functions.  i also wish our basketball coaches go out and do radio and TV interviews locally.  On 1070 I hear Painter and even fife through out the season but no IU coaches.  to me getting IU out there in the minds of local recruits and their families is a good thing.

23 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Nobody is ever going to say that publicly. My issue was with all the academic and player empowerment stuff first and he didn't get to winning until 3rd. 

For me as a fan, winning should be first. Players going to class and getting decent grades, as well as treating them well should be a given. I don't need the AD going through that, just tell us your #1 priority is a basketball program that compete for championships. 

The problem with IU is that I don't think their #1 priority is winning. Heck, the AD just told us it isn't. 

I think Glass' contract with CAM's poor record has painted the Admin into corner and they have no clue how to exit the box in which they find themselves.  CAM is now a dead man walking and could yet have 3 more nails to place in the coffin if IU loses to PU, 1st game BTT, and possible NIT if bid was received.  The optics for them are terrible and completely unacceptable..  They've had some cover due to Covid and no fans being in the stands. Otherwise we could have witnessed  CAM and the team suffering unimaginable outrage live and on TV due to the home losses we have had this year.

Dolson's comments are telling in not mentioning winning as the top priority for the program.  BGleas mentioned this above and noted the other aspects are a a given.  The Admin has been willing to limp along for 20 years with poor Coaches.  They've done just enough to keep fans at bay.  As others have mentioned, they just want to be able to win enough to calm the masses and preserve their $ flowing in from TV, IU apparel and other items, and of coarse donations to to the Varsity Club and Season Tickets. They are still stuck in the "we're never having another RMK at IU again" mode.

I have been a season ticket holder for both FB and BB for more than 25 years.  I am now at a point of not renewing BB tickets because I think the Admin is just using me at this point.  I may keep my FB Season tickets because I do finally believe in CTA.  I think the Admin simply stumbled into CTA and Moren for that matter.  I don't think either are willful and thoughtful candidates sought by a committed Admin in their respective sports.  

This Admin is going to have to prove to me that they are committed by their actions.  I'm no longer interested in their words.  They need to negotiate their way out of this mess and CAM needs to resign this year.  They cannot bring him back next year given fans will be returning this year with the Covid Pandemic winding down and they will be merciless on national TV if the same product is on the floor.  They need to hire a good coach as a replacement and give their reasons why he is their man and show they are going to work with him and state that compliance will be more mercurial going forward.  They need to give him the keys and let him drive the car.  They just need to supply the fuel.

Just now, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

I agree. I have such loose stuff to base this feeling on but dang I can’t picture anyone in the administration not taking no for an answer. But rather that both a Stevens and a Dolson would both know in the convo “this is just a call that has to be made” instead of a thought out, pre approved conference call with the AD, Dean of Students and President as well as BoT all on the call all saying “Stevens we ALL want you to help build our program back.” Better yet all of them or several flying out to Boston to meet him to shoe how serious they are.

I can’t see ANYTHING like that happening. Nothing dramatic, nothing intense, not a single muscle flexed to even try to make someone like Stevens pause and think “Woa...I’m caught off guard.”

No it’ll be a voicemail. “Hey Brad, IU AD here. Just checking to see if you’d ever want to talk about our position if it came open. Give me a call if you’d like if I don’t hear from you I’ll assume it’s a no. Sorry to take your time and take care!”

😒

Just now, IUwins0708 said:

I really wanted Matta but have been told he’s done because he can barely walk. 

My list would be

Drew- if he is proven to be clean

Beard= probably won't leave TT or the state of Texas.

Beilein= don't care what his age is

Matta- if healthy

Musselman ?

Oates?

Fife

Keith Smart

3 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

I think Glass' contract with CAM's poor record has painted the Admin into corner and they have no clue how to exit the box in which they find themselves.  CAM is now a dead man walking and could yet have 3 more nails to place in the coffin if IU loses to PU, 1st game BTT, and possible NIT if bid was received.  The optics for them are terrible and completely unacceptable..  They've had some cover due to Covid and no fans being in the stands. Otherwise we could have witnessed  CAM and the team suffering unimaginable outrage live and on TV due to the home losses we have had this year.

Dolson's comments are telling in not mentioning winning as the top priority for the program.  BGleas mentioned this above and noted the other aspects are a a given.  The Admin has been willing to limp along for 20 years with poor Coaches.  They've done just enough to keep fans at bay.  As others have mentioned, they just want to be able to win enough to calm the masses and preserve their $ flowing in from TV, IU apparel and other items, and of coarse donations to to the Varsity Club and Season Tickets. They are still stuck in the "we're never having another RMK at IU again" mode.

I have been a season ticket holder for both FB and BB for more than 25 years.  I am now at a point of not renewing BB tickets because I think the Admin is just using me at this point.  I may keep my FB Season tickets because I do finally believe in CTA.  I think the Admin simply stumbled into CTA and Moren for that matter.  I don't think either are willful and thoughtful candidates sought by a committed Admin in their respective sports.  

This Admin is going to have to prove to me that they are committed by their actions.  I'm no longer interested in their words.  They need to negotiate their way out of this mess and CAM needs to resign this year.  They cannot bring him back next year given fans will be returning this year with the Covid Pandemic winding down and they will be merciless on national TV if the same product is on the floor.  They need to hire a good coach as a replacement and give their reasons why he is their man and show they are going to work with him and state that compliance will be more mercurial going forward.  They need to give him the keys and let him drive the car.  They just need to supply the fuel.

THIS GUY GETS IT ☝️☝️☝️☝️

if more than half the season ticket holders did what you’re pondering...it would shake the pillars of heaven in Btown

3 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

I think those quotes from Dolson is being over blown.  I think he is saying that if the kids are not doing well in school or are bad kids then winning that way is not worth it.  I think back to Sampson's second year that even though we were winning the type of kids he had made it feel hollow.  I want winning as much as anyone but not at any price.  If it takes guys who don't go to class or are not representing the University in a way that is fitting then winning that way is not gratifying. 

50 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I can't even type what I want to type. I'll say this. If Dane Fife is given consideration for this position I'll be tapping out of the IU fandom. Great former player? Sure. Some coaching experience? I guess. Ready to take on this role? No. Never. Nada. Zilch.....that's all.

Agreed. Hiring Fife feels like we’ve given up on trying to be an elite program and just decided that if we were gonna suck, might as well give an alumnus and former player some extra $. 

There’s a handful of quality coaches that get paid less than Archie. Indiana maybe irrelevant to casual fans/teenagers but to these coaches IU still is a relevant program. They did a poll like a year ago and IU was considered a best gig in the Big Ten. I’m optimistic that if we can get our foot in the door with a coach at a football school that makes less/same per year to Archie (Hamilton, Oats, Kruger, Drew, Altman, Musselman) we can make it happen. Drill home being the BMOC for returning the program back to glory, having the largest recruiting budget in the country with a plethora of talented in-state players (mention even with Archie sucking he landed three straight Mr. Basketball, guys clearly still want to play at IU) and obviously having one of the best home court advantages. 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

My list would be

Drew- if he is proven to be clean

Beard= probably won't leave TT or the state of Texas.

Beilein= don't care what his age is

Matta- if healthy

Musselman ?

Oates?

Fife

Keith Smart

Beard

Drew

Oates

Musselman

Travis Steele

Craig Smith

Just now, IU Scott said:

I think those quotes from Dolson is being over blown.  I think he is saying that if the kids are not doing well in school or are bad kids then winning that way is not worth it.  I think back to Sampson's second year that even though we were winning the type of kids he had made it feel hollow.  I want winning as much as anyone but not at any price.  If it takes guys who don't go to class or are not representing the University in a way that is fitting then winning that way is not gratifying. 

I’m with you on this. Dolson would love to be the guy to get them back.  He’s heard his doubters and would love nothing more than to make them look silly. (I’m a big doubter by the way) We will see what he can get done I guess. 

1 minute ago, Inequality said:

Someone tell us more about why Drew would be a good fit? It’s taken him what, maybe 16-18 years at Baylor to become the flavor of the month? I could be wrong as I don’t follow Baylor directly. But is that right or wrong?

Major rebuild there, consistency, lately changed his defense which was always his Achilles heel and since changing has taken what appears is the final step forward in his evolution as a coach

1 minute ago, Inequality said:

Someone tell us more about why Drew would be a good fit? It’s taken him what, maybe 16-18 years at Baylor to become the flavor of the month? I could be wrong as I don’t follow Baylor directly. But is that right or wrong?

He’s had several good years and his rebuild was comparable to building the Great Wall of China.  I believe this is his 3rd team he’s had that’s ranked in the top 5 in the last 4-5 years.  Also has a great class coming in next year.  It would all be so much easier if Brad Stevens would just commit 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Agreed. Hiring Fife feels like we’ve given up on trying to be an elite program and just decided that if we were gonna suck, might as well give an alumnus and former player some extra $. 

There’s a handful of quality coaches that get paid less than Archie. Indiana maybe irrelevant to casual fans/teenagers but to these coaches IU still is a relevant program. They did a poll like a year ago and IU was considered a best gig in the Big Ten. I’m optimistic that if we can get our foot in the door with a coach at a football school that makes less/same per year to Archie (Hamilton, Oats, Kruger, Drew, Altman, Musselman) we can make it happen. Drill home being the BMOC for returning the program back to glory, having the largest recruiting budget in the country with a plethora of talented in-state players (mention even with Archie sucking he landed three straight Mr. Basketball, guys clearly still want to play at IU) and obviously having one of the best home court advantages. 

I heard many fans weren't real thrilled with the RMK when it first happened.  also they were not happy with the more slow tempo and defensive first philosophy.  Just saying that any coach hired should be given an opportunity before fans make judgements.

7 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

Well said. This is the kind of post that Dolson and the BOT’s need to read. Like you, I have been a season football ticket holder for 25 years s well. This Administration needs to see how deep this is impacting not just student and fans, but “old, committed fans” like us. 

Just now, IUwins0708 said:

He’s had several good years and his rebuild was comparable to building the Great Wall of China.  I believe this is his 3rd team he’s had that’s ranked in the top 5 in the last 4-5 years.  Also has a great class coming in next year.  It would all be so much easier if Brad Stevens would just commit 

I believe maybe the only name who’d instantly rally everyone, put us on the front page of every sports website, news cast, etc...would blow up headlines and instantly make hundreds of recruits stand up and take notice

Archived