It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, BGleas said:

As much as I know this needs to happen and I agree that it's time and needs to happen, I still hate it. 

I really like Archie. At least what I know publicly, he seems like a good guy and I really thought we had found our guy. 

It's a real shame it hasn't worked out, and on the personal side I'm sad for Archie and his family, as well as the IU fan base. 

Couldn't agree more. I really thought he would shine here and that's what worries me most.

6 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Someone tell us more about why Drew would be a good fit? It’s taken him what, maybe 16-18 years at Baylor to become the flavor of the month? I could be wrong as I don’t follow Baylor directly. But is that right or wrong?

Here is his coaching career and remember he took over a program where one player killed another player

Career Overall   608 383 225 .630 12.21 7.28          
  Valparaiso   31 20 11 .645 3.84 -1.13          

2002-03 Valparaiso Mid-Cont 31 20 11 .645 3.84 -1.13       Reg. Season Champion  

2003-04 Baylor Big 12 29 8 21 .276 -2.73 5.20       Not eligible for conference tournament  
2004-05 Baylor Big 12 28 9 19 .321 -2.79 4.10          
2005-06 Baylor Big 12 17 4 13 .235 2.30 11.65          
2006-07 Baylor Big 12 31 15 16 .484 5.42 3.88          
2007-08 Baylor Big 12 32 21 11 .656 11.46 5.75   25   NCAA Tournament  
2008-09 Baylor Big 12 39 24 15 .615 12.54 7.93   19      
2009-10 Baylor Big 12 36 28 8 .778 17.97 8.03   19 19 NCAA Tournament  
2010-11 Baylor Big 12 31 18 13 .581 10.00 4.80 16 9      
2011-12 Baylor Big 12 38 30 8 .789 16.54 8.03 12 3 9 NCAA Tournament  
2012-13 Baylor Big 12 37 23 14 .622 15.07 7.13 19 16      
2013-14 Baylor Big 12 38 26 12 .684 15.80 10.11 25 7 23 NCAA Tournament  
2014-15 Baylor Big 12 34 24 10 .706 17.85 9.33   14 16 NCAA Tournament  
2015-16 Baylor Big 12 34 22 12 .647 16.13 9.76 22 14 21 NCAA Tournament  
2016-17 Baylor Big 12 35 27 8 .771 19.75 11.87   1 12 NCAA Tournament  
2017-18 Baylor Big 12 34 19 15 .559 14.59 9.17 24 16      
2018-19 Baylor Big 12 34 20 14 .588 13.38 9.26       NCAA Tournament  
2019-20 Baylor Big 12 30 26 4 .867 20.13 9.13 16 1 5    
2020-21 Baylor Big 12 20 19 1 .950 24.74 4.34 2 2      

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I heard many fans weren't real thrilled with the RMK when it first happened.  also they were not happy with the more slow tempo and defensive first philosophy.  Just saying that any coach hired should be given an opportunity before fans make judgements.

I’d definitely still support any coach that got hired but hiring Fife just isn’t the move. We didn’t hire Alford for a reason and thinking that hiring an assistant coach with no D1 head coaching experience/someone that isn’t a household name to these recruits isn’t gonna solve the issue within 4-5 years.

It’s not like Jeff Capel is crushing it at Pitt and he couldn’t have assisted a bigger name in all of CBB...

4 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

I’d definitely still support any coach that got hired but hiring Fife just isn’t the move. We didn’t hire Alford for a reason and thinking that hiring an assistant coach with no D1 head coaching experience/someone that isn’t a household name to these recruits isn’t gonna solve the issue within 4-5 years.

It’s not like Jeff Capel is crushing it at Pitt and he couldn’t have assisted a bigger name in all of CBB...

He does have HC position and he was ranked one of the top ten recruiters.  Recruits no who he is from all the time recruiting for MSU

33 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

THIS GUY GETS IT ☝️☝️☝️☝️

if more than half the season ticket holders did what you’re pondering...it would shake the pillars of heaven in Btown

I am in as well.  Will not renew my season tickets if this circus is still in town.  Will probably drop football too just because 37 is such a mess.  

3 minutes ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

Some off the wall, under the radar names that haven't been mentioned yet...

Kevin Willard

Chris Jans

Ed Cooley

Porter Moser

Randy Bennett

Niko Medved

Wes Miller

Bob Richey

I follow college basketball a lot and there are 3 on that list I have never heard of.

4 minutes ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

Kevin Willard - Seton Hall

Chris Jans - New Mexico State

Ed Cooley - Providence

Porter Moser - Loyola-Chicago

Randy Bennett - Saint Mary's

Niko Medved - Colorado State

Wes Miller - UNC-Greensboro

Bob Richey - Furman

Tad Boyle - Colorado

30 minutes ago, JugRox said:

Beard

Drew

Oates

Musselman

Travis Steele

Craig Smith

Craig Smith is a very insightful name to mention. Very high energy guy and his record is eye popping.  I would like to know more about his offense and defenses.  

But after what happened with Archie I’m not sure they’d take a chance like that.  

Assume the administration isn’t capable of landing a no brainer type.  The next thing would be to be thorough instead of just honing in on one guy like Fred did with Archie.  If you ever get to that point, a thorough search might uncover a guy like Smith.  And he might blow you away if you do a thorough analysis.  

7 minutes ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

Kevin Willard

Chris Jans

Ed Cooley

Porter Moser

Randy Bennett

Niko Medved

Wes Miller

Bob Richey

Appreciate the list, and don’t take this as an insult, but if we hire Ed Cooley I might officially give up. 193-134 overall at Providence. Never made it past one win in the tournament. Hasn’t made it in 2 years. No thanks.

1 minute ago, madmax said:

Appreciate the list, and don’t take this as an insult, but if we hire Ed Cooley I might officially give up. 193-134 overall at Providence. Never made it past one win in the tournament. Hasn’t made it in 2 years. No thanks.

No one i particularly want, just knowing this administration, it will be a hire made out of left field.  Scoping out the landscape.

i dont see how IU would pay $10mill for CAM buyout to not hit a homerun of a hire. Meaning if the move were to happen this year, it wouldn't be for a mid major flavor of the month coach. If the move were to happen, it would happen with a very short list in mind.

34 minutes ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

Kevin Willard

Chris Jans

Ed Cooley

Porter Moser

Randy Bennett

Niko Medved

Wes Miller

Bob Richey

Tad Boyle

No offense, but if we hire or consider any  of these guys, what's the point of moving on from Archie? It's gotta be a big time hire for me otherwise I don't get the point. I kinda get Fife, not what I would hope for and a reach to appease a certain type of fan, but I do like him. But other than him, if we're not getting a top tier proven leader and winner, color me unimpressed. We can't just shuffle the deck furniture on the IU Titanic. We'd need a quick turnaround. 

1 minute ago, OGIUAndy said:

No offense, but if we hire or consider any  of these guys, what's the point of moving on from Archie? It's gotta be a big time hire for me otherwise I don't get the point. I kinda get Fife, not what I would hope for and a reach to appease a certain type of fan, but I do like him. But other than him, if we're not getting a top tier proven leader and winner, color me unimpressed. We can't just shuffle the deck furniture on the IU Titanic.

No offense taken as the coaches i'm wanting to see here (Stevens/Donovan/Bennett/Beard/Matta/Drew/Beilein/Musselman/etc) are the ones being mentioned by others.  Simply stating i could see the administration going completely left field and bringing in someone no one expects to save $$$ and because it's debatable if they care about basketball.

18 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

i dont see how IU would pay $10mill for CAM buyout to not hit a homerun of a hire. Meaning if the move were to happen this year, it wouldn't be for a mid major flavor of the month coach. If the move were to happen, it would happen with a very short list in mind.

You would think so...you would hope so...but I thought the same thing after Crean.

You have to fire Crean...but you can’t fire a Crean without having a big name to replace. You can’t replace a Fonal Four coach who’s won Big Ten Titles with some coach who hasn’t done that. I mean you can’t fire a Crean and replace with some “mid major flavor of the month...” or would they??? 🤦🏻‍♂️

8 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

You would think so...you would hope so...but I thought the same thing after Crean.

You have to fire Crean...but you can’t fire a Crean without having a big name to replace. You can’t replace a Fonal Four coach who’s won Big Ten Titles with some coach who hasn’t done that. I mean you can’t fire a Crean and replace with some “mid major flavor of the month...” or would they??? 🤦🏻‍♂️

In the administration’s defense, Archie was pretty much unanimously held to be a great up and coming coach for years, not just a “flavor of the month”. I mean go back and read the articles written at the time and you’ll be hard pressed to find one declaring it anything other then a home run hire.

10 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

the difference here is the $4mil buyout of crean and the $10 mil buy out for CAM. partially with where we are after the last scenario it would be harder to do so with the same amount of money, but we are talking about a huge difference of $. you would think they would protect themselves more this time around.

1 hour ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

Kevin Willard

Chris Jans

Ed Cooley

Porter Moser

Randy Bennett

Niko Medved

Wes Miller

Bob Richey

Tad Boyle

I never see Tubby Smiths name anymore either I know he is approaching 70 but has a good record.

Archived