It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Sorry, don't buy it.  He has had 4 years to rectify the issues you mention.  He left 2 scholarships open this year.  He has had a PG problem since day 1.  He does not use the bench to motivate...really I don't see much coaching going on at all during the games.

He went from a hard nose at Dayton to a wuss at IU.  He is stubborn to a fault.  He does some good things from an X and O perspective but I would rate him poorly on just about everything else.

I doubt Glass thought we would still be struggling this bad in year 4.  If he did, he was an idiot for saying all that stuff about Championships when Miller was hired.  That is not managing expectations.  Dolson sold that better to Guyton.  I now know that Indiana has winning 4th on their priority list (at least).

I agree.  Not only is the product on the floor unsatisfactory, but any upward trajectory is minor.  Couple that with recruiting - failure to get players that thrive and excel under CAM & stagnant momentum, and we're where we're at.  Mediocre with little prospect of notable improvement.

CAM is a good coach, but apparently not one who can consistently achieve at the highest level of competition.  Perhaps he can coach a team to an occasional S16 or E8, but no further or with consistency.  CTC is in a similar category (more due to recruiting than coaching IMHO).  Coaches of such caliber generally come and go in power conferences like the B10.

9 hours ago, Sea Turtle said:

I was very underwhelmed with the hire. A very boring, vanilla hire. A guy who grinds out wins with a Jurassic era offense at a mid major who had a nice tourney run. 

I was so disappointed and wanted the breaking news tweet to be wrong. It wasn't. 

And not to mention, how many flight paths and real estate listings were posted??

Epic stuff.....

37 minutes ago, madmax said:

Yeah I guess I more meant the optics of it then anything else. I’ve got zero doubt the money would be there if necessary. Just figured it may be a bad look that IU may want to avoid right now.

I don't think that's going to stop many schools from firing coaches. 

22 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

What schools are likely to have an opening that might be a good fit for Archie?  I believe New Mexico is one.

I don't see any reason for a person to walk away from 10 mil. buy out.  I wouldn't.   Fire me I'll collect some free money then find another employer. 

11 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I don't think that's going to stop many schools from firing coaches. 

I don’t think it would stop schools with “good” administrations. It didn’t stop Auburn from paying Malzahn a trillion dollars to leave. But that’s my whole point-IU’s administration doesn’t seem like this to me, at least from what we hear.

Just now, madmax said:

I don’t think it would stop schools with “good” administrations. It didn’t stop Auburn from paying Malzahn a trillion dollars to leave. But that’s my whole point-IU’s administration doesn’t seem like this to me, at least from what we hear.

There's to much smoke. There's something going on and it's starting to look like when Crean was let go. If it's mutual it's not going to be 10 million for the buyout. 

8 minutes ago, madmax said:

I understand what you are saying. But Auburn is a football school whose biggest rival is Bama.  They have to spend what is necessary to try and keep pace.

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

What schools are likely to have an opening that might be a good fit for Archie?  I believe New Mexico is one.

I have no idea if they'll have an opening, but I thought LaSalle would be a great place for him.  Back to the A-10 and in Philly. 

New Mexico is a really good job if he could land it.  Alford was stupid for leaving there. 

2 hours ago, cybergates said:

He gets players to go to Baylor, but also is succeeding without top talent. This year he has 6 players in the RSCI top 100, but the top ranked one is 58th.

IMO this is the most important thing about Drew. He is winning in a power 5 conference without a single player ranked in the top 50. His first top 25 ranked recruiting class in the last 5 years is next year.

Miller not having enough talent is a big problem. Crean didn't have enough talent when he failed.

It would be nice to have a coach win without having to out talent the other team.

On top of all that, Drew would bring in more talent at Indiana than he would at Baylor.

Is he the long term solution? I don't know.

But I think he would be the coach to turn things around the fastest. Which would be a lot of transfers and junior college kids in the next 2 years.

Just now, JugRox said:

IMO this is the most important thing about Drew. He is winning in a power 5 conference without a single player ranked in the top 50. His first top 25 ranked recruiting class in the last 5 years is next year.

Miller not having enough talent is a big problem. Crean didn't have enough talent when he failed.

It would be nice to have a coach win without having to out talent the other team.

On top of all that, Drew would bring in more talent at Indiana than he would at Baylor.

But I think he would be the coach to turn things around the fastest. Which would be a lot of transfers and junior college kids in the next 2 years.

Wouldn't mind one bit if he brought this Baylor commit with him...

1 hour ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I agree.  Not only is the product on the floor unsatisfactory, but any upward trajectory is minor.  Couple that with recruiting - failure to get players that thrive and excel under CAM & stagnant momentum, and we're where we're at.  Mediocre with little prospect of notable improvement.

CAM is a good coach, but apparently not one who can consistently achieve at the highest level of competition.  Perhaps he can coach a team to an occasional S16 or E8, but no further or with consistency.  CTC is in a similar category (more due to recruiting than coaching IMHO).  Coaches of such caliber generally come and go in power conferences like the B10.

Also, there have been bench issues.  There is someone on another board saying that some players who left last year were "dicks" who showed up to practice late and didn't put in work but still had favorable time in games.  If true, that kills culture.

Another is saying that 2 of our 3 starting guards think Miller is an a-hole.  That one I am a little indifferent to though.  Like Knight's players probably thought he was an a-hole too.  I guess it would depend on whether they still respect him or not as to whether thinking he is a jerk matters. 

Just seems like we may have some roster turnover if he sticks around, which may not be the worst thing but that whole get old and stay old thing kind of goes out the window at that point.  It also seems like Miller takes a long time before he trusts people in the pack line.  So a bunch of turnover would not bode well were he to get another year.

24 minutes ago, JugRox said:

IMO that is the key to modern college basketball success.  Get as many 50-150 guys.  Stay away from the 1-2 and done.  The "Blue Bloods" are struggling more than ever because of this.  It's been a great equalizer for programs like Purdue who traditionally don't get the McD's All American recruits. 

13 minutes ago, JJack said:

IMO that is the key to modern college basketball success.  Get as many 50-150 guys.  Stay away from the 1-2 and done.  The "Blue Bloods" are struggling more than ever because of this.  It's been a great equalizer for programs like Purdue who traditionally don't get the McD's All American recruits. 

Yup. Pitino said back in the day, unless the kid is once in a decade player, it’s not worth going after.  

Im sure the show will be business as usual and nothing about his job will be talked about, but I wonder if he’ll display a tone that sounds defeated and knows he’s gone....I doubt it but we’ll see. I bet this thread will really blow up Saturday evening. With our luck Painter will let us win to try to keep Archie around next year lol.........but I doubt it’d matter at this point. 

Archived