It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let’s be optimistic and believe Dolson is a good AD...maybe this could be the case... a committee has been assembled while negotiating a buyout of Archie. They’re hopeful they can get it done so they want to be fully ready because they want to jump at their chance right away. They’re doing their jobs and being proactive. 

More evidence of this could be that Archie is playing a little hardball to get more money by saying “IU, I’ll come back and force your hand if you don’t sweeten the deal...” so he gets on his show and makes it sound like that’s his intention.

hoping?

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

My question why would they already have a committee put together if they haven't made their minds up.

This is coming from a guy that donates a good chunk of money to IU every year and he told them before they get his money he wants to know the direction of the program. They said Archie is being asked some very tough questions about the direction of the program and they already have a search team in place if he is indeed let go 

1 minute ago, BADGERVOL said:

Let’s be optimistic and believe Dolson is a good AD...maybe this could be the case... a committee has been assembled while negotiating a buyout of Archie. They’re hopeful they can get it done so they want to be fully ready because they want to jump at their lost right away. They’re doing their jobs and be proactive. 

More evidence of this could be that Archie is playing a little hardball to get more money by saying “IU I’ll come back ans force your hand if you don’t sweeten the deal...” so he gets on his show and makes it sound like that’s his intention.

hoping?

I doubt he'd be doing a radio show if his tenure was close to being over or negotiated. I am not saying he's not getting canned, but these buyout negotiations seem a bit far fetched. Like would he really be willing to do all of this while negotiating a buyout? 

Just now, OGIUAndy said:

I doubt he'd be doing a radio show if his tenure was close to being over or negotiated. I am not saying he's not getting canned, but these buyout negotiations seem a bit far fetched. Like would he really be willing to do all of this while negotiating a buyout? 

Don't know the answer but did coach Davis keep doing his shows after he announce he was going to leave at the end of the year.  He stayed coaching and actually got us to the second round of the tournament.

I always wondered why a school gets a search committee or search firm to help hiring a coach.  I thought that is part of the job description of an AD.   I know they would have to get an OK to hire someone but it should be the AD doing the interviewing and offering the job.

4 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Could be part of his contract, to do those shows.

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

My question why would they already have a committee put together if they haven't made their minds up.

Because the process has to move quickly. Ideally, if you’re firing a major college basketball coach you already know your options -- in order -- and what it takes to secure them. 

6 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Yea if he’s playing hardball absolutely. The moment you tip your hat that you’re leaving and not staying then IU has the upper hand in the negotiations. 

31 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Listened to Archies radio show, if he’s leaving he’s hiding it well.  Seemed energized and positive.  Definitely not what I was expecting.  

I'm not saying he is definitely fired, but he has to put on a happy face regardless. He can let on to the kids, parents, etc. He is also interviewing for his next job. It can't appear as if he doesn't care anymore, or that he has lost control, etc. That's really poor form. I remember Crean didn't let on either, but he had a good reason to believe the hammer was falling. 

3 minutes ago, PNWHoosier said:

Because the process has to move quickly. Ideally, if you’re firing a major college basketball coach you already know your options -- in order -- and what it takes to secure them. 

Just thinking if this is true that they have a committee put together the decision is pretty much made.

1 minute ago, PNWHoosier said:

I'm not saying he is definitely fired, but he has to put on a happy face regardless. He can let on to the kids, parents, etc. He is also interviewing for his next job. It can't appear as if he doesn't care anymore, or that he has lost control, etc. That's really poor form. I remember Crean didn't let on either, but he had a good reason to believe the hammer was falling. 

I thought with Crean he was about to leave on vacation or was already on vacation when he got the call.  I think Crean was pretty surprised when he got the call and was told he was being fired.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I thought with Crean he was about to leave on vacation or was already on vacation when he got the call.  I think Crean was pretty surprised when he got the call and was told he was being fired.

You're right he was about to go on vacation, but it wasn't a surprise. As I said, he had good reason to believe his tenure was complete. He proceeded with his contractual obligations, as he should have, and he hoped that Fred wouldn't pull the trigger. Though Crean is also arrogant as heck, so he may have been delusional about it all.

Archived