It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

I think that Archie Miller will be back next year.   Only way he wouldn't be back is if a donor or donors are found to make the buyout(s) happen and if there is a great alternative head coach available.

Wins are not the only criteria by which this coach or any coach may be evaluated.  Certainly, the whole body of work when looking at wins and losses is bad for IU and Archie.  So I would not be surprised if there is a change.

I actually can see the team being lots better  next year given a few positives.  We all know what they are.

The AD likely is not ready to pull the trigger on Archie Miller.  Crean did not leave the cupboard full.  In addition he and the previous administration may have just about poisoned the well.  Injuries have hobbled the team...year after year.  And Covid-19 may just give Archie Miller a bye year.  

These rumors happen.  Only the AD knows for sure.  He is likely on the fence and very patient.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Air Ball said:

I think that Archie Miller will be back next year.   Only way he wouldn't be back is if a donor or donors are found to make the buyout(s) happen and if there is a great alternative head coach available.

Wins are not the only criteria by which this coach or any coach may be evaluated.  Certainly, the whole body of work when looking at wins and losses is bad for IU and Archie.  So I would not be surprised if there is a change.

I actually can see the team being lots better  next year given a few positives.  We all know what they are.

The AD likely is not ready to pull the trigger on Archie Miller.  Crean did not leave the cupboard full.  In addition he and the previous administration may have just about poisoned the well.  Injuries have hobbled the team...year after year.  And Covid-19 may just give Archie Miller a bye year.  

These rumors happen.  Only the AD knows for sure.  He is likely on the fence and very patient.

Wins are what matter. Wins I say!

15 hours ago, Inequality said:

I think it’s a tough move but necessary. I don’t see any possibility of fan base recovery at this point.

Recruiting isn’t going to be there for a guy treading water.

The IU faithful are many. The ones close to me have tuned out. Family members who’ve been multi-generation ticket holders have forfeited tickets and stopped donating.

If a change is made, by golly they better go big time, no holds barred. An underwhelming hire will just continue to shrink the fan base.

It’s not that hard. No genius required. You want to win big, you invest big. Your only going to get out of it what your willing to put into it.

This.   

21 minutes ago, Air Ball said:

If he isn't fired this year it will only show that they aren't serious about winning.   Kentucky, NC, Kansas wouldn't put up with this level of apathy.   It would be way too expensive to keep him around regardless of buyout, salary of new coach, etc.  It's simply bad business from a money standpoint vs. having a high flying national program.    

I'm assuming Alabama football, Kentucky/Duke basketball are pretty prosperous because they decided to invest properly in their athletic programs.   It can be done if you have money (I think IU does) and the courage (I don't think IU admins do) to make it happen. 

I'm just going to throw this out there ... some heads will likely explode, though.

2012-13 roster vs. potential 2021-22 roster

Yogi - Lander

Hulls - Franklin

VO - Hunter

Watford - Race

Zeller - TJD

Pretty big edge to VO and Yogi, but those other 3 spots are arguably pretty even, and the bench isn't too bad, either - Brunk, Rob, Leal, Geronimo, Trey, Stewart, Duncomb.

I'm just saying that without a home run hire, I'd like to see what CAM does with that before making a change. 

4 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

I'm just going to throw this out there ... some heads will likely explode, though.

Yogi - Lander

Hulls - Franklin

VO - Hunter

Watford - Race

Zeller - TJD

Pretty big edge to VO and Yogi, but those other 3 spots are arguably pretty even, and the bench isn't too bad, either - Brunk, Rob, Leal, Geronimo, Trey, Stewart, Duncomb.

I'm just saying that without a home run hire, I'd like to see what CAM does with that before making a change. 

Cody was light years ahead of Trayce.

6 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Yogi - Lander

Hulls - Franklin

VO - Hunter

Watford - Race

Zeller - TJD

Shooting is the main issue with Archie's team.  Yogi, Hulls, and Watford could get really hot on any given night.  Sometimes they would get hot at the same time. 

6 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Yogi - Lander

Hulls - Franklin

VO - Hunter

Watford - Race

Zeller - TJD

The only position in which this team is even close is Hulls/Franklin.

7 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Yogi - Lander

Hulls - Franklin

VO - Hunter

Watford - Race

Zeller - TJD

I guess the main thing that wouldn’t excite me about this with CAM being back is the fact that it’s exactly who he had at to work with this year, only minus Stewart and Duncomb, and hasn’t really done a darn thing. So my thinking as far as “like to see what CAM does with that” goes...I feel like we already have. Just my humble opinion.

13 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Yogi - Lander

Hulls - Franklin

VO - Hunter

Watford - Race

Zeller - TJD

If you don't think that 2013 team would beat the other by 30 plus points you're insane.

15 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Yogi - Lander

Hulls - Franklin

VO - Hunter

Watford - Race

Zeller - TJD

2012-2013 has each position by a wide margin

17 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Yogi - Lander

Hulls - Franklin

VO - Hunter

Watford - Race

Zeller - TJD

Cody waaaayyyyyy better than Trayce 

yogi way better than Whatever guard you wanna out from this years squad.

watford and race is probably the closest and watford wins by a landslide. 

Bad comparison, really bad.

17 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Yogi - Lander

Hulls - Franklin

VO - Hunter

Watford - Race

Zeller - TJD

Every player on the 13 roster is way better then the 21 roster...and its not even close.

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

If you don't think that 2013 team would beat the other by 30 plus points you're insane.

Dude, calm down. It's a post meant to open up some discussion. Where did I say they would compete with each other as teams? I said if you compare by position, there is going to be talent on the team coming back that's comparable to the 2012-13 team. As for Cody/TJD, did you see Cody getting double teamed ... ever? No, because the other 4 would have lit it up from 3. Their stats, at least the basic ones, are pretty similar in year 2 for each.

Just now, PhinithreeMagic said:

Agreed. And you could even argue Hulls' premiere shooting and leadership were more valuable than any advantage Franklin gives you from a talent perspective.

Yep. I was initially gong to say that Franklin is better, mostly because of his defense, but remembered that Hulls had a lot of intangibles like leadership. Plus, Hulls was a bit better of a shooter although Franklin isn't too far from Hulls there this season.

2 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Dude, calm down. It's a post meant to open up some discussion. Where did I say they would compete with each other as teams? I said if you compare by position, there is going to be talent on the team coming back that's comparable to the 2012-13 team. As for Cody/TJD, did you see Cody getting double teamed ... ever? No, because the other 4 would have lit it up from 3. Their stats, at least the basic ones, are pretty similar in year 2 for each.

I think the discussion is already over😂

7 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

I guess the main thing that wouldn’t excite me about this with CAM being back is the fact that it’s exactly who he had at to work with this year, only minus Stewart and Duncomb, and hasn’t really done a darn thing. So my thinking as far as “like to see what CAM does with that” goes...I feel like we already have. Just my humble opinion.

I agree to an extent. I think Rob would be more valuable coming off the bench, and you'd also replace Al with Franklin and move Jerome into the starting lineup, which should be an improvement (I feel like AF was set for a breakout before getting hurt). That bench is a whole lot better, with two seniors and the freshmen class having another year under their belts.

Archived