It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'd never change my view or opinion based on a lot of people disagreeing with me. 

And none of the realistic ones that I see will have IU making a 1 or 2 year turnaround.

This is what Dolson said upon ascending to the AD job...

"To me I’ve been impressed with Archie with that because he doesn’t get too high, he doesn’t get too low. He really sticks to his plan. I think if you want to really be a consistent program, have consistent success, you need to have a consistent vision and work that plan. I’m really, really confident in that. That’s the thing that impressed me about Archie."

"I  feel that we’re definitely making the right progress, the right steps in multiple ways. I feel like in building the program, as I mentioned earlier, I think Archie has a great master plan. I like the way he sticks to his plan, makes certain that he has conviction there, is not too high, too low. I feel that coming together."

That doesn't sound to me like a guy who is going to be swayed by people with a different opinion...

That was before this year so how do you know how he feels now.  I never said you should change your viewpoint because of others but just telling you why you said your thoughts are going to deaf years.  You acted like we are not wanting to listen but it is because we disagree.

Just now, IUFLA said:

His words about building a program, I'm sure, don't change on a whim...

i guess we see in a few weeks but f they bring Archie back I hope they know how it will be perceived.  Also I hope he is ready for AH to be half empty even though people are ready to get back to watching live sports.  I hope he is ready for rating to go down on tV and radio broadcast because people is starting to do other things.  I still watch the games but the last few it didn't bother that much that we lost and I hate feeling that way. 

Just now, IU Scott said:

i guess we see in a few weeks but f they bring Archie back I hope they know how it will be perceived.  Also I hope he is ready for AH to be half empty even though people are ready to get back to watching live sports.  I hope he is ready for rating to go down on tV and radio broadcast because people is starting to do other things.  I still watch the games but the last few it didn't bother that much that we lost and I hate feeling that way. 

Winning cures all ills...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Winning cures all ills...

Sure does but there is no indication that Archie can win here.  I see TJD going pro and at least two others transfer at the end of the year especially if Archie is back.  Next year will be worse than this year even though that some of the top teams could lose a lot if the seniors leave.  also if we had a great class coming in like uM does then we could look for hope but just don't see it.

20 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Listening to JMV 1070 the fan......He just said he feels IU’s going for an IU guy should Archie go. He said he wouldn’t be surprised if they pick Alford or Fife....

JMV is about as dialed in as Query and the little fellow were. Wouldn't put much in what he says. Just my two cents.

22 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Listening to JMV 1070 the fan......He just said he feels IU’s going for an IU guy should Archie go. He said he wouldn’t be surprised if they pick Alford or Fife....

if that's the case, i'd honestly rather give Archie another year

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

JMV is about as dialed in as Query and the little fellow were. Wouldn't put much in what he says. Just my two cents.

JMV got the Manning injury right before it was released he was going to miss the year with a neck surgery.  I think he has been pretty accurate through the years are reporting things.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Sure does but there is no indication that Archie can win here.  I see TJD going pro and at least two others transfer at the end of the year especially if Archie is back.  Next year will be worse than this year even though that some of the top teams could lose a lot if the seniors leave.  also if we had a great class coming in like uM does then we could look for hope but just don't see it.

Wish I had a crystal ball, but I don't...

I think we both know where each other stands on this, so walking the same ground just makes mud...

Just now, IU Scott said:

JMV got the Manning injury right before it was released he was going to miss the year with a neck surgery.  I think he has been pretty accurate through the years are reporting things.

I think JMV always had inside connections with the Colts but I don't think he has any inside info with IU.

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Not my first choice but I do think we need to get back the IU culture.  I watch teams like UNC, Duke and UK where you see all of these former players come back and are part of the program.  I really think that helps the program by showing it is a family and you will always be welcomed back.  It just seems like the last 20 years we don't see that many former players coming back to games or talking to the team.  Also if we go that route and it doesn't work then we could put an end to that theory about it needing to be a former player.  I like what AJ is doing with his podcast trying to get former players connected again.  He is trying to get an alumni weekend sometime that includes all players and not just RMK players.

Nothing to you personal at all. I'm so tired of former players and/or guys putting together what we used to be weekends or podcasts....all it does in bring one more cook into the kitchen. If we ever make a change I'd prefer the new coach to tell the entire fan base if your way of doing things was right I wouldn't be here. Ala Joe Clark in Lean on Me. 

PS...UK players being part of the culture? Fine with UNC and Duke as an example but UK? Half of them call out their experience and Cal. 

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

First off I don't think Archie is a terrible coach but he just doesn't fit here.  I think he has had trouble relating to the players of today because with his physical limitations he had to work extra hard.  Also I think the players he had at Dayton he could relate better to because most of them probably had a chip on their shoulders.  A lot of those players probably felt they could play up a level but was over looked so they went out to prove others wrong like Archie had to do.  Here at IU he probably had the two most talented player he has ever coached in Romeo and TJD.  The problem with them is that the game probably came way easier for them and they think they can just get by on talent alone and not hard work.  Also in the back of their minds that their NBA status is more important that helping the team succeed.

I have seen so many times where after a game where they are filming a locker room and the coach and the players are celebrating together.  I have seen coaches jumping up and down spraying water on each other.  I have seen older coaches dancing in a circle while the players are standing around them.  I have not one time saw Archie and his players celebrate like that after a win.  Last night Scott Drew after the game while still on the court jumped into the arms of one his players.

I think if it was just about the X and O's Archie would be fine but it is everything else that surrounds coaching at IU that he is having problems with.

I can’t think of too many players at IU the past four years that when coming here sort of figured they’d be headed to the pros. Who else besides TJD and Romeo would honestly look on the mirror in HS and think “college is a stepping stone to me making a fortune in the NBA?” Now were there some who could legit lofty dream? Sure. 

1 minute ago, Shapopojoe said:

Really.. why not Michael Lewis? Damon Bailey? 

I think Dane because his resume is stronger at this point and his is the only name that comes up at the point. He makes the most sense because he already coaches in the big ten recruits well and is likely the next Michigan State coach. So if we get him and he works out he we also taking away a future head coach at Michigan State. If he comes here and brings us back to where we need to be he would never leave 

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

JMV is definitely dialed in for colts news but I don’t think he has the IU connections 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Not me because I would like to try a former IU guy to see if they can bring back the IU culture

Bob Knight WAS the culture. Winning was the culture. You can’t bring back the first....but you can do the second...but you need a successful coach to do that..Alford is a downgrade from Archie....and Fife isn’t even an option.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Might be with Colts.....but he's got nothing on IU. Nothing. 

Just now, dgambill said:

Agreed. Only thing worse than more mediocrity with Archie is a lackluster hire. That would truly be uninspiring! We can do so so much better. 

To me anytime there is a change there is an uptick in excitement through the off season. I also think a change would bring some hope that the future will be brighter.  To me if a change is made it shows more that they care ab out IU getting back to winning.  if they bring Archie back the excitement for next year will be minimal  at best. 

Archived