It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

10 minutes ago, Shapopojoe said:

Dane Fife....458 career record...yeah. I will skip it

To be fair, guiding a program (with some pretty big limitations) through a transition to division 1 basketball as a first time head coach would probably leave just about everyone with a sub .500 record...

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Because they started the coaches son...a border line 3 star kid?? Come on...Bryce should not have even been on that team much less starting and then to not recruit over him...Alford shot himself in the foot by giving his son preferential treatment.

He wasn't bad and scored like 20 a game one year and was in training cap with the Pacers.

38 minutes ago, Shapopojoe said:

People shit all over Alfords record but at the least he is lateral with Archies record at much tougher schools....if we are going for another kid major beauty contestant , I say screw it,,,give Alford the reins....at least we can say we were true to the program and went for another former player...what in the hell is worst that could happen? We go sub 500 and no championships in B10 or trips to tournament? Oh wait....we just went through that...

No way

19 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

If it’s Alford, I’ll be completely shocked

I think it’s stretch to say the least. I will be honest, I wouldn’t hate it. I would rather have other “shiny new penny” type coaches before him.

Look, I may be one of the few on here who is slightly intrigued by him coaching at IU. I’m soon to be 53, watched him in high school and attended IU when he played. Heck, one year I even had the Steve Alford “feathered” hair cut and big comb in my back pocket.😆 Man the 80’s were AWESOME! Anyway, back the subject at hand.

We all have our opinions,...here’s mine. Who’s to say that IU may be the right fit for Alford. I realize his resume is less to be desirable, but maybe, just maybe IU & Coach Alford could work. He’s from Indiana, an Indiana high school coaches son, he played high school ball in Indiana and college ball for IU, all things we all know. He’s Midwest guy with a lot of connections.  

All that being said, I believe we really need an Indiana guy on the bench. He may not have to be the head coach, but maybe the assistant. No offense to Mike Roberts, but an IU guys like Dane Fife, Calbert Cheaney, Brian Evans, AJ Guyton, Greg Graham and Michael Lewis. 

20 minutes ago, Shapopojoe said:

But yet stick

He won combined 9 regular and conference championship....to shit on his New Mexico record would be liking shitting on Archie record with Dayton..also, he did win conference championship first year at UCLA...guy has 2 sub 500 records in conference in 25 years....as I said....if you’re going to go for another smaller conference beauty contestant, I will take Alford......

Just to let you know you probably want to cut out the cuss words you have been using before the mods catch them.

10 minutes ago, Shapopojoe said:

Also, I don’t necessarily think Alford will ever coach IU either but it pisses me off for IU fans to shit on him and the hatred is almost irrational 

I don’t hate him at all....I just LOVE IU so much I would never want him to coach here. He has so many red flags. From how he has treated people over the years in the Indiana HS community to handling the abuse scandal at Iowa and then from his previous time at one of the premier programs in the country where he had every advantage a coach could ask for. He is a good coach....but I don’t want just good. I want banner 6.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I don’t hate him at all....I just LOVE IU so much I would never want him to coach here. He has so many red flags. From how he has treated people over the years in the Indiana HS community to handling the abuse scandal at Iowa and then from his previous time at one of the premier programs in the country where he had every advantage a coach could ask for. He is a good coach....but I don’t want just good. I want banner 6.

Under your criteria we are in trouble because any coach you think can get us to banner 6 is not available. We will have to hope we pick a coach who will fit with IU and its fan base and can bring us back to that banner 6

Just now, Shapopojoe said:

I can agree with most of that statement...so let’s drop the Fife, Alford, Lewis, misc. mid-major names....who can we get realistically? I mean for banner 6.....who is going to be available? Tough spot we are in no matter what

I didn’t mean to hate on one of our own. Just I’m so tired of just mediocrity and in this difficult B1G I don’t think Alford or one of those guys could get us to the top of the league. I don’t care what people say. Guys like Drew, Beard, Oats, Matta, and Belien are very possible if we go full tilt. Stevens I don’t think so only because I don’t think Boston will let him go...or he wants out of there i think he likes Nba lifestyle.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I didn’t mean to hate on one of our own. Just I’m so tired of just mediocrity and in this difficult B1G I don’t think Alford or one of those guys could get us to the top of the league. I don’t care what people say. Guys like Drew, Beard, Oats, Matta, and Belien are very possible if we go full tilt. Stevens I don’t think so only because I don’t think Boston will let him go...or he wants out of there i think he likes Nba lifestyle.

I would rather have the guys you mentioned but i can only see a couple that we would have a chance to get which is Beilein and Matta.

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

I've never seen a fanbase that brought up past injuries to players to excuse their current performance, or the team's performance, as much as ours does. "Rob had a concussion two years ago, maybe that's why he still isn't right?" "Race had that bad injury awhile back, he's probably still recovering from it." Injuries are unfortunate, but part of the game. We're not struggling because dudes got hurt 2 years ago. We're struggling because we lack depth, and some of these guys just weren't that good to begin with. 

Illinois has overcome Ayos injury to beat Michigan but we cant overcome Brunks injury to finish in the top half of the B1G?

We cant overcome AFs injury to win a game against far lesser comp?

The B1G is tough. We've had injuries. But the other B1G team have to play the same conference opponents and have to deal with injuries too. 

To your point it can be excused at times but not for 4 years!

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Wisconsin mainly recruits out of the RSCI top 100 and liberally uses the redshirt...So does Purdue...

The recruiting whining alone makes that impossible here...You're telling me this fan base who gets apoplectic over everything the Archie and the program does would be excited about getting Mr RSCI 250, red shirting him, and having him contribute when he's 24? 

So you think it’s impossible because the fan bases whining is dictating Archie’s recruiting strategy?

My preference isn't an IU guy but a big name hire. But if you put a gun to my head and said it had to be an IU guy it would never ever be Alford. There is enough of a track record to know he won't get us where we need to be. Maybe someone like Fife is a dumpster fire but I would take a risk on a unknown before I pick Alford. 

3 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Illinois has overcome Ayos injury to beat Michigan but we cant overcome Brunks injury to finish in the top half of the B1G?

We cant overcome AFs injury to win a game against far lesser comp?

The B1G is tough. We've had injuries. But the other B1G team have to play the same conference opponents and have to deal with injuries too. 

To your point it can be excused at times but not for 4 years!

Exactly....what is the difference when a team like say Minnesota or Indiana or Nebraska has one of their starters go down....now compare to Illinois or OSU or Iowa etc have guys out. Sure they may lose a couple but overall they still find ways to win enough games to keep their head above water. Other guys step up and the coaches find ways...not excuses.

Just now, HoosierMatty said:

My preference isn't an IU guy but a big name hire. But if you put a gun to my head and said it had to be an IU guy it would never ever be Alford. There is enough of a track record to know he won't get us where we need to be. Maybe someone like Fife is a dumpster fire but I would take a risk on a unknown before I pick Alford. 

Do I think Alford gets us to a championship probably not but we really have no idea if it is true.  Maybe he is the right fit at IU where Iowa and UCLA he didn't fit.  Also people act like winning the conference at Iowa is so easy but they have not won an outright big ten title since 1979

21 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I don’t want him because I don’t think he’s good and because I know plenty of stories that personally just don’t like the guy. Don’t mind if others do. That’s fine. I don’t. Don’t want him as our coach just based on resume alone.

58 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I'm curious why would MSU pick Fife over Dwayne Stephens as their next coach?

I’ve always felt that Fife being the coach in waiting has been overblown.  If it’s substantiated someplace, I’d be happy to see it.  I believe Stephens is the senior assistant.  Correct me if I’m wrong.  The optics of vaulting Fife over Stephens would be a disaster and could slaughter their recruiting, especially in Detroit and Flint.  

My question to the whole fan base including myself

If IU hires a new coach and you don't like it what will you do?  Will you stop watching games or will you still back the team.  I have certain guys I would like to see here but whoever they would hire I will back them like I have every other coach.  I think there would be only a couple where it would make me think about being an IU fan of IU(Calapari, Pitino)

Just now, IU Scott said:

If IU hires a new coach and you don't like it what will you do?  Will you stop watching games or will you still back the team.  I have certain guys I would like to see here but whoever they would hire I will back them like i have every other coach.  I think there would be only a couple where it would make me think about being an IU fan of IU9Calapari, Pitino)

Spot on brother!

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Do I think Alford gets us to a championship probably not but we really have no idea if it is true.  Maybe he is the right fit at IU where Iowa and UCLA he didn't fit.  Also people act like winning the conference at Iowa is so easy but they have not won an outright big ten title since 1979

I don’t get this “fit” schtick that’s become hot lately. I mean I “get it” as far as yes, there have been times where a coach was merely “ok” somewhere or maybe worse and then made it work much better somewhere else. I get that. But some of the logic we have going appears to be moving towards “for candidate A, B and C, don’t get hung up on their resumes because maybe they’d just “fit” here.

what about coach D, “no that coach is junk, hasn’t accomplished enough to be our coach moving forward.”

What I notice is this whole “fit” argument seems to largely apply to one category of coaches...former IU players. So if that’s the case let’s call it like it is, if you’re an IU player that somehow makes you more qualified to coach than someone who has a better resume but isn’t an “IU guy.”

I can’t get this reasonably at all. To me this is pure emotion. Like “I just FEEL like he can do it. He’s one of us.”

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’ve always felt that Fife being the coach in waiting has been overblown.  If it’s substantiated someplace, I’d be happy to see it.  I believe Stephens is the senior assistant.  Correct me if I’m wrong.  The optics of vaulting Fife over Stephens would be a disaster and could slaughter their recruiting, especially in Detroit and Flint.  

I remember at Syracuse that Hopkins was the coach in waiting for years but he finally got tired of waiting and went to Washington.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If IU hires a new coach and you don't like it what will you do?  Will you stop watching games or will you still back the team.  I have certain guys I would like to see here but whoever they would hire I will back them like I have every other coach.  I think there would be only a couple where it would make me think about being an IU fan of IU(Calapari, Pitino)

i'll always back the Hoosiers and always watch.  doesn't matter who the coach is or how bad we are.  

1 minute ago, BADGERVOL said:

I don’t get this “fit” schtick that’s become hot lately. I mean I “get it” as far as yes, there have been times where a coach was merely “ok” somewhere or maybe worse and then made it work much better somewhere else. I get that. But some of the logic we have going appears to be moving towards “for candidate A, B and C, don’t get hung up on their resumes because maybe they’d just “fit” here.

what about coach D, “no that coach is junk, hasn’t accomplished enough to be our coach moving forward.”

What I notice is this whole “fit” argument seems to largely apply to one category of coaches...former IU players. So if that’s the case let’s call it like it is, if you’re an IU player that somehow makes you more qualified to coach than someone who has a better resume but isn’t an “IU guy.”

I can’t get this reasonably at all. To me this is pure emotion. Like “I just FEEL like he can do it. He’s one of us.”

I actually thought Archie was a good fit for IU.  To me at places like IU that any coach coming in has to know how to deal with the fan base.  A coach who use to play here might know what it takes to get on the fans good side.  They will know they have to do all of these alumni circuit things and kiss our butts.  I also want to see whoever the next coach at IU do more local interviews and TV appearances.  On 1070 in Indy I hear Painter on shows all the time and even Fife is on there but no IU coach.

Archived