It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

28 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Michigan has 5 seniors on their roster...Livers, Brooks, and Davis all started and finished at Michigan, and Mike Smith and Chaundee Brown are grad transfers...

Yes, I misspoke.
I meant, and was referring to, that they had 3 seniors on his list of players with the most playing time.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

This is what I know and that is no matter who the next coach is this is what I want to see.

1) An offense that is free flowing and don't have you best players standing in the corner

2) I want ball and player movement over just dribbling

3) I want plenty of shooters on the team and that doesn't just mean from 3 but our big's that can step out and shoot outside the lane.

4) a coach that can teach better free throw shooting

5) I want a coach who will switch defenses including playing some zone and even some pressing.

6) On man to man defense I want in your face defense and play the passing lanes.  i just want to see us get some easy baskets off of our defense.

teach better free throw shooting seems strange.  i don't disagree that we have been subpar, but if they can't shoot FTs by the time they get to college, it would seem weird that the college coach is teaching them.  

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

teach better free throw shooting seems strange.  i don't disagree that we have been subpar, but if they can't shoot FTs by the time they get to college, it would seem weird that the college coach is teaching them.  

How about recruiting guys who can hit free throws.  I heard a stat about Archie and in the last 8 years none of his teams has finished in the top 200.  To me that can't be just a coinensedence but it is a pattern that is not getting much better.

If a players high school coach making an $8000 dollar a year stipend didn't get the job done, no way the guy making 3.3 million a year should fix their shot.  Shrugs shoulders, makes sense.  

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

If a players high school coach making an $8000 dollar a year stipend didn't get the job done, no way the guy making 3.3 million a year should fix their shot.  Shrugs shoulders, makes sense.  

sorry genius.  just saying that most kids have worked on FTs since they were little.  they have worked on them all through HS.  if you have to break down their shot and completely reteach it in college, that's pretty strange.  so what is "teaching free throw shooting" at the college level?  psychology?  a new way to practice them?  enlighten me.  

Just now, NCHoosier32 said:

sorry genius.  just saying that most kids have worked on FTs since they were little.  they have worked on them all through HS.  if you have to break down their shot and completely reteach it in college, that's pretty strange.  so what is "teaching free throw shooting" at the college level?  psychology?  a new way to practice them?  enlighten me.  

Whatever it is, it needs to be fixed

what's the theory?  we really think these guys just don't know how to shoot FTs?  we think they need a coach to teach them a new technique?  

I would say that the college staff would have to change some players shots. AAU has destroyed High School basketball and even Jr High ball maybe even more important. Jr high is where most Indiana kids used to learn the fundamentals of shooting. 

3 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

I would say that the college staff would have to change some players shots. AAU has destroyed High School basketball and even Jr High ball maybe even more important. Jr high is where most Indiana kids used to learn the fundamentals of shooting. 

image.gif.7aec31d3ee6f088a87aaf0069fdd5896.gif

2 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

i understand what you're saying, but we really think the guys we have have such jacked up shots at the line that they need to change their shot?  doesn't it really have to be more mental?  i don't see any of them having bad form.  

what's the theory?  we really think these guys just don't know how to shoot FTs?  we think they need a coach to teach them a new technique?  

Maybe kids today don't practice free throws when they are young like they use. In AAU do you think the coaches are stressing free throw shooting in practice or work on it very much.  Free throw shooting is more mental than anything and if you have a good form you should be a good shooter.  Each player needs to get their own routine and practice that every day.  I look at Race he looks alright with his form and has shown he can hit them.  He has good form but to me he doesn't always concentrate and that is when he misses.

As a team they need to shoot free throws more in a game setting than  just shooting alone by yourself.  I one time was able to hit 51 in a row just by myself but that wouldn't hale in a game situation.  You have to practice when you are tired because that when concentration comes into play.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Maybe kids today don't practice free throws when they are young like they use. In AAU do you think the coaches are stressing free throw shooting in practice or work on it very much.  Free throw shooting is more mental than anything and if you have a good form you should be a good shooter.  Each player needs to get their own routine and practice that every day.  I look at Race he looks alright with his form and has shown he can hit them.  He has good form but to me he doesn't always concentrate and that is when he misses.

As a team they need to shoot free throws more in a game setting than  just shooting alone by yourself.  I one time was able to hit 51 in a row just by myself but that wouldn't hale in a game situation.  You have to practice when you are tired because that when concentration comes into play.

i don't think AAU has time to practice FT shooting a lot, but high school coaches don't?  kids don't on their own?  i 100% agree it is mostly mental.  i just don't believe when they get to college at 18 years old that they don't know how to shoot them and need someone to break down their technique and change it very often.  

8 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I'm just saying.  If a kids shot is broke, yes the multi millionaire should fix it.  I find my logic pretty simple.  

It looks to me that over the Archie years some kids have had a combination of problems you mentioned.  More than a few have been mechanical though.  Trayce's shot is still broke just a little smoother than last year if that makes sense.  It was mentioned that one of the first things that the Celtics did was change Romeo's shot.  

At what salary range is it acceptable to correct a broke shot?  

Volunteer $0

Middle school $800

Aau some stipend?

High school $8000

College 3.4 million 

Brad Stevens undisclosed salary last know over 3.5 million 

Just now, NCHoosier32 said:

i don't think AAU has time to practice FT shooting a lot, but high school coaches don't?  kids don't on their own?  i 100% agree it is mostly mental.  i just don't believe when they get to college at 18 years old that they don't know how to shoot them and need someone to break down their technique and change it very often.  

So what is the difference between teams like Colorado who is shooting 83% from IU that shoots 66%.

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm just saying.  If a kids shot is broke, yes the multi millionaire should fix it.  I find my logic pretty simple.  

It looks to me that over the Archie years some kids have had a combination of problems you mentioned.  More than a few have been mechanical though.  Trayce's shot is still broke just a little smoother than last year if that makes sense.  It was mentioned that one of the first things that the Celtics did was change Romeo's shot.  

At what salary range is it acceptable to correct a broke shot?  

Volunteer $0

Middle school $800

Aau some stipend?

High school $8000

College 3.4 million 

Brad Stevens undisclosed salary last know over 3.5 million 

so we are saying our guys all have bad FT shooting form?

4 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i understand what you're saying, but we really think the guys we have have such jacked up shots at the line that they need to change their shot?  doesn't it really have to be more mental?  i don't see any of them having bad form.  

Oh I beg to differ. Trace, Race, Hunter, Have terrible form. Ball goes off the wrong side of the hand, palms are on the ball, they fall back before they follow through, shoot flat footed. I have been paying close attention the last 6 games. 

I don’t know the answer to the freethrows. Not sure if it’s just repetition is not happening or if they are not having to hit freethrows after a hard days practice. I would imagine some players just have hit low self esteem and it affecting them and are stressed by the program/situation atm.  

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i don't know.  are you saying they all came into college as bad FT shooters and the CO coach taught them how to shoot them?

Their players played AAU and high school ball just like ours so they probably had the same problems we do.

3 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

so we are saying our guys all have bad FT shooting form?

I answered that in the post you just quoted from me.  "It  looks to me that over the Archie years some kids have had a combination of problems you mentioned.  More than a few have been mechanical though."

Just now, jojo123 said:

Oh I beg to differ. Trace, Race, Hunter, Have terrible form. Ball goes off the wrong side of the hand, palms are on the ball, they fall back before they follow through, shoot flat footed. I have been paying close attention the last 6 games. 

Trace guide hand is in the wrong place and it is like he is fighting his motion

Archived