It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard a stat on the radio that in the last eight years, Archie’s teams have ranked below 200th in free throws each year.  Is that accurate?  At some point, it’s not randomness. That’s a large sample size, if true.  I get skeptical when I just hear random stats so I’m not sure that’s true. 

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I heard a stat on the radio that in the last eight years, Archie’s teams have ranked below 200 in free throws each year.  Is that accurate?  At some point, it’s not randomness. That’s a large sample size, if true.  I get skeptical when I just hear random stats. 

I posted that up the page a little

OT a bit but you guys dragged me there...

Ive wondered after watching for years and being around players at all levels and now my own kids and coaching little kids all the way up to being around HS kids...I’ve wondered this...

Has making FT’s slowly gone from an “expectation to be good” as in if you don’t hit them you’re hurting your team and you’re kind of a chump” to “if you make them it’s almost like a perk or something to brag about” but not so much an expectation?

It seems anytime a kid brags about or is critical about their game or others, they NEVER talk about FT %. 

When I was young I remember practicing in part because I didn’t want to let my team down and now it seems like you don’t let them down unless it’s THE GAME on the line, otherwise if you make it cool, if not oh well. Idk just seems different as far as expectations in regards to FT’s.

And if thats the case, it explains a ton. Bad form not being fixed, lack of practice, being all fricken flexing when you get an “and one” only to go to the line and miss it anyway. 🤦🏻‍♂️

I just think it's all in recruiting. Is he just recruiting the athlete with decent basketball skill but still a project? that seems to be the case. Lets get the good basketball player with good fundamental skills that we can add muscle and quickness too. 

1 minute ago, jojo123 said:

Oh I beg to differ. Trace, Race, Hunter, Have terrible form. Ball goes off the wrong side of the hand, palms are on the ball, they fall back before they follow through, shoot flat footed. I have been paying close attention the last 6 games. 

This is all my opinion ok.  No reason for anyone to start getting hot over a free throw discussion.  Just throwing that out there for everyone.  

Imo, Race's inconsistency is directly related to form.  Something wonky right around ball at should height and lack of touch on follow through.  It's like he doesn't have muscle memory yet and is thinking through stages of the shot.

Hunter, hasn't changed, has been the same problem since we have first seen him shoot the ball.  When he fades left, he misses about 90%.  When he follows through towards the basket, I usually am shocked when it doesn't fall.  

Trayce, it's just broke.  Should be fixed properly and professionally.  Not sure college coaches can handle it.  

The rest.  It's a combination of what Nchoosier said.  Phsychological, consistency, discipline to routine.  I don't see all of them do exactly the same thing every time.  I cant remember which player but routine and set up of first shot was different than 2nd shot.  That's discipline to routine.  If you even have a routine.  It's just bizarre and no wonder the team stinks at shooting free throws.  

1 minute ago, BADGERVOL said:

OT a bit but you guys dragged me there...

Ive wondered after watching for years and being around players at all levels and now my own kids and coaching little kids all the way up to being around HS kids...I’ve wondered this...

Has making FT’s slowly gone from an “expectation to be good” as in if you don’t hit them you’re hurting your team and you’re kind of a chump” to “if you make them it’s almost like a perk or something to brag about” but not so much an expectation?

It seems anytime a kid brags about or is critical about their game or others, they NEVER talk about FT %. 

When I was young I remember practicing in part because I didn’t want to let my team down and now it seems like you don’t let them down unless it’s THE GAME on the line, otherwise if you make it cool, if not oh well. Idk just seems different as far as expectations in regards to FT’s.

And if thats the case, it explains a ton. Bad form not being fixed, lack of practice, being all fricken flexing when you get an “and one” only to go to the line and miss it anyway. 🤦🏻‍♂️

I think it started when after every free throw you have to high five each other even after misses.  It drives me crazy to see players do that after every free throw.  I had a routine and worrying about high fiving would have broke that routine.  If I hit the first I wanted the ball right back so I am not going to take time to high five each teammate.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think it started when after every free throw you have to high five each other even after misses.  It drives me crazy to see players do that after every free throw.  I had a routine and worrying about high fiving would have broke that routine.  If I hit the first I wanted the ball right back so I am not going to take time to high five each teammate.

YES!!! It’s all those little things like that which seem to show something under the surface. 

32 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

sorry genius.  just saying that most kids have worked on FTs since they were little.  they have worked on them all through HS.  if you have to break down their shot and completely reteach it in college, that's pretty strange.  so what is "teaching free throw shooting" at the college level?  psychology?  a new way to practice them?  enlighten me.  

It doesn’t matter if your hitting a baseball, or hitting a golf shot , are shooting a free throw! There are all kinds of forms and swings ,but at the point of release the good ones are all in the same zone. So a coach doesn’t reteach a kids how to shoot free throws just helps him get back in the zone. 
That’s why there are hitting coach and pros have golf coaches! People need tweaking from time to time! 

I’m over 50.  I am in shorts, no shoes.  I could go out and hit 70% of my free throws just like that.  If I tried and practiced I could hit more.  

Now the coaches on here will say that’s fine, Bob, but you are not exhausted from running up and down.  Regardless, it’s about repetition in your action.  I bend my knees and on the lift the motion is repeated every time and I just drop it in.  If I miss, it’s almost always a hiccup with my knees.  

To be a good free throw shooter, the trick is focusing on something repeatable to ensure consistency like I do with my knees.  I probably learned this in fifth or sixth grade from the Larry Bird camp.  (Larry actually asked me to slap five with him after I hit a big bucket.  A highlight.)

It doesn’t get much easier than free throws.  No athleticism required.  Literally none.   You can be the slowest goofball ever.  Just discipline.   

8 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

YES!!! It’s all those little things like that which seem to show something under the surface. 

I have also seen where the free throw shooting team didn't have anyone on the line. After the first free throw the shooter would still go in the lane like their were teammates and fake high five.

14 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’m over 50.  I am in shorts, no shoes.  I could go out and hit 70% of my free throws just like that.  If I tried and practiced I could hit more.  

Now the coaches on here will say that’s fine, Bob, but you are not exhausted from running up and down.  Regardless, it’s about repetition in your action.  I bend my knees and on the lift the motion is repeated every time and I just drop it in.  If I miss, it’s almost always a hiccup with my knees.  

To be a good free throw shooter, the trick is focusing on something repeatable to ensure consistency like I do with my knees.  I probably learned this in fifth or sixth grade from the Larry Bird camp.  (Larry actually asked me to slap five with him after I hit a big bucket.  A highlight.)

It doesn’t get much easier than free throws.  No athleticism required.  Literally none.   You can be the slowest goofball ever.  Just discipline.   

I’d practice some before practice and after when my legs were toast. When I played pick up games I had a warm up that included shooting FT’s after awhile as a part of just getting my head on straight to play at all, and I always would shoot at least 20-30 after the majority of times I’d play any pick up game almost as a cool down. Just shoot them. It’s just a part of basketball. It’s a game within the game. It was fun to challenge each other to who could hit the most out of 10, 20, 50...who could hit eyes closed, who could hit the most in a row...my gosh just get BETTER!!!

2 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

I’d practice some before practice and after when my legs were toast. When I played pick up games I had a warm up that included shooting FT’s after awhile as a part of just getting my head on straight to play at all, and I always would shoot at least 20-30 after the majority of times I’d play any pick up game almost as a cool down. Just shoot them. It’s just a part of basketball. It’s a game within the game. It was fun to challenge each other to who could hit the most out of 10, 20, 50...who could hit eyes closed, who could hit the most in a row...my gosh just get BETTER!!!

Shooting free throws was how we picked teams so if you couldn't hit you weren't playing.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Shooting free throws was how we picked teams so if you couldn't hit you weren't playing.

Gosh just reading that brings back memories. I also remember if it looked as though you intentionally missed a FT to get on a specific team it was such a bad reputation thing. I remember getting cussed out because it looked like I did and I didn’t I just shot one REALLY bad 😂 

So many memories. In pick up games I had post players everywhere I played with who loved playing with me. I wasn’t a very good PG in half court, thrived in open transition, BUT I had a KNACK for the Pick and roll and pop, and because I wasn’t good in the half court creating off the dribble as well,  but could shoot, I fed post players like MAD, to establish them to later get open looks after double teams. So bigs ALWAYS liked playing with me. They got the ball a TON. 😋

34 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Agree with this all day. It seems to me that Trayce, Race Jerome don't even bend their knees even slightly.

8 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Gosh just reading that brings back memories. I also remember if it looked as though you intentionally missed a FT to get on a specific team it was such a bad reputation thing. I remember getting cussed out because it looked like I did and I didn’t I just shot one REALLY bad 😂 

So many memories. In pick up games I had post players everywhere I played with who loved playing with me. I wasn’t a very good PG in half court, thrived in open transition, BUT I had a KNACK for the Pick and roll and pop, and because I wasn’t good in the half court creating off the dribble as well,  but could shoot, I fed post players like MAD, to establish them to later get open looks after double teams. So bigs ALWAYS liked playing with me. They got the ball a TON. 😋

The bad thing is that kids today doesn't get to enjoy just playing pickup basketball at the park like we did.  I was just a shooter and not much else and never saw a shot that I didn't like.  My teammates had a love/hate relation with me because if I hit they liked me but if had an of day not so much.

6 hours ago, IUFLA said:

So our 2nd leading scorer being out/hobbled most of the conference season had no impact on our season? A senior contributor and leader being out didn't affect our season?

Brunk isn’t good enough for this level and isn’t a contributor for a top Big Ten team. You and I clearly rate his level of play differently. He brings energy for a bottom of the conference team. Armaan being hobbled or healthy isn’t adding more W’s to the win column unfortunately. A heathy Armaan IU team also lost to NW. The team just isn’t good enough when 100% healthy, which goes on Archie. There is no excuse you can give me, and probably a few others, that will change my mind. 

Archived