It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

2 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

shooting isn’t anywhere as good as it was in the 80s and 90s. Maybe that’s more of a case of more players leaving earlier than back then. 

There's a ton of reasons for that, lifting isn't one of them. 

There are also some of the best shooters of all time in this era. Curry, Durant, Seth Curry, Klay Thompson, you can probably include Ray Allen, etc., etc.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

They do both. And many think lifting me like body building. It isn’t. It’s all functional, multi-joint exercises built around athletic movement. It’s so much better than even 10 years ago. But even in HS for me in the 90s we were all over just basic lifting and omg it grew my range like MAD.

I’ve mentored under a few heavy hitters on the world of training. It’s a great passion of mine. I can make a huge argument that increases of injuries have way more to do with nutrition and rest than any other variable in young and growing athletes.

but I digress 

The last statement is very interesting and I’ve never looked at it like that.  I guess what you put in your body needs to help you rest and recover or heal.  I never worried about what I ate back in my hay day, I need to now though. Inflammation is not your friend and I know the food you put in your body can cause a lot of that.

Just now, BGleas said:

There are also some of the best shooters of all time in this era. Curry, Durant, Seth Curry, Klay Thompson, you can probably include Ray Allen, etc., etc.

I think he was talking about how bad shooting is in college and not the nBA

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Durant couldn't do more than 1 lift at the combine

He was 18. You don't think Kevin Durant lifts weights all the time? Being thin doesn't mean you're not strong. 

Maybe he heard your story from 9th grade and thought he shouldn't lift?

14 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I don’t know anything about it so I’ll trust you in this part.  It’s just odd that the weight lifting programs seemed to get an uptick the same time the shooting went down hill.  Probably just a coincidence.  I was neither a great shooter or great weight lifter.😂

Is IU men's basketball becoming a body building program?

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Yeah I was meaning more college, and maybe you meant those guys in their college years.  Like I said I don’t have any idea about weight lifting, didn’t do much of it.  So I’ll defer to experts on that.

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It is funny that most of the all time best shooter are on the slender side. Curry, Durant, Reggie, Bird

That’s just generally basketball builds. They’re long armed which makes them look all the more slender and they are. It’s not efficient for your body to be built like a tank and be quick/fast. That’s why functional strength training usually doesn’t cause a body to “bulk” like a power lifter and or body builder. It’s about functional adaptations. If you train right you SHOULD get stronger, more flexible, faster, quicker, less likely to be injured, and on and on.

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

He was 18. You don't think Kevin Durant lifts weights all the time? Being thin doesn't mean you're not strong. 

Maybe he heard your story from 9th grade and thought he shouldn't lift?

Actually Durant was embarrassing Loy weak coming out of college. Worst in NBA combine history (although it’s not that long). He couldn’t bench 185 ONCE.

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

God that’s so mature.

You can criticize him for his coaching, your prerogative, but this is just juvenile 

I mean Archie himself cracks jokes about his height so not sure this is that big of a deal.  Then again this is a sensitive world anymore.

Just now, BADGERVOL said:

Actually Durant was embarrassing Loy weak coming out of college. Worst in NBA combine history (although it’s not that long). He couldn’t bench 185 ONCE.

No, I know. But he of course lifts and works like a maniac on all of the things you've outlined. 

Just now, IUwins0708 said:

I mean Archie himself cracks jokes about his height so not sure this is that big of a deal.  Then again this is a sensitive world anymore.

Wait...are you implying I’m overly sensitive? That’s very hurtful. I need a coloring book and YOU should have to pay for it.

1 minute ago, IUwins0708 said:

Is it true that longer armed people struggle with the bench press?

Is it harder? Yes. Not a world’s difference harder, but basic physics shows you have to press the weight further. That’s part of the reason the NBA Draft doesn’t use 225 as the standard weight to bench press reps with to have a baseline of strength. They use 185.

Yes I’m such a geek I watch the NFL Combine every year like most watch the Tourney. 😋

Just now, BADGERVOL said:

Is it harder? Yes. Not a world’s difference harder, but basic physics shows you have to press the weight further. That’s part of the reason the NBA Draft doesn’t use 225 as the standard weight to bench press reps with to have a baseline of strength. They use 185.

Yes I’m such a geek I watch the NFL Combine every year like most watch the Tourney. 😋

Well then that’s my excuse, thanks!  I needed an out....😁

3 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

You still take shots at Crean every chance you get. We’re you this morally outraged when he was called Clappy and such?  

Never once called him Clappy, nor did I ever criticize his idiosyncratic behavior. Focused on his coaching acumen, or lack thereof.

Take your best shot at me if you want, but get your facts straight first 

12 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I am strongly considering a career change and going into stand-up comedy.

Since you seem to think my posts are so funny, I would welcome you to be a regular in the crowd to provide a laugh track

7 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Never once called him Clappy, nor did I ever criticize his idiosyncratic behavior. Focused on his coaching acumen, or lack thereof.

Take your best shot at me if you want, but get your facts straight first 

On 1/23/2021 at 9:19 PM, Steubenhoosier said:

Ol’ coach Tommy had another defensive gem, only giving up 92 as the Dawgs lost to Florida 😂😂😂

So 4 years later this isn’t piling on?

Archived