It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

1 hour ago, go_iu_bb said:

I took a look over on BTown Banners yesterday and also saw stuff about Enfield there and some seemed to like the idea. That one is puzzling to me. In 6 years at USC he has only a 58.5% winning percentage overall and is 47.6% in that weak conference. Is there something I'm missing about him that would make him a desirable hire?  Seems like he would be a downgrade from Miller or, at best, just as bad.

Chris Mack would be an upgrade for sure. I'm not convinced he would be the solution either, though. He's been good but not great so far at Louisville. A positive for him is that their trouble doesn't seem to hurt him much.

I think I'll probably be disappointed in the hire once again.

Enfield isn’t my choice but he is an upgrade from Archie. He has been there for 8 years. First 2 years were rough. You mentioned 6 years, his record for the last 6 has been 129-67 in that period, 65.8%. All while going against the cheating Arizona Wildcats. If Oregon loses today, then USC will win the conference. 

Mack is also an upgrade from Archie. 

only 2 home run hires and both are in the NBA and are pipe dream. If people are going to be disappointed with anyone besides Stevens or Donovan, then they aren’t being realistic. Enfield and Mack are successful, to different degrees, at power 5 schools where Archie hasn’t been. 

I’ll also give any coach 3 years before job security is on the table on year 4. 

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like that Mack is already coaching in high a pressure environment and succeeding even with the NCAA cloud hanging over. But I think that cloud isn't the only reason he wants to leave. IU is straight up a better job. Even with our current situation it has built in advantages. You don't have to worry about Kentucky sucking the oxygen out the room, we have a better campus and tons of talent right in your back yard. Our fanbase is larger and more committed. There are more cat fans in Louisville than cards fans.  Louisville is a good job just not as good as IU. Maybe he's tired of being at the second fiddle school. 

I'm probably closer to an Archie supporter than most here - I'm of the opinion that if we're just going to start the search from ground zero and end up with an up and comer at a mid-major, I would rather just give Archie another year. But, if the rumor of Mack reaching out to us is true, then he becomes the floor and we take him if nothing else pans out. That's a good place to be in my book. He's not my top choice, but I would be excited to get him if we strike out with the handful of dream hires (Stevens, Beard) that I'm hoping for.

2 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

I'm probably closer to an Archie supporter than most here - I'm of the opinion that if we're just going to start the search from ground zero and end up with an up and comer at a mid-major, I would rather just give Archie another year. But, if the rumor of Mack reaching out to us is true, then he becomes the floor and we take him if nothing else pans out. That's a good place to be in my book. He's not my top choice, but I would be excited to get him if we strike out with the handful of dream hires (Stevens, Beard) that I'm hoping for.

That is exactly my thoughts. I would cast a wide net and try to go after people like Beard and Stevens. But Mack is a solid upgrade if you can't get those other guys. I wasn't high on Mack when his name came up last time when we got Archie. But I can't argue with the results he's had.

1 hour ago, BeerBQ said:

I’m trying to gauge the coaches mentioned and they seem to fit in categories. 

You can’t make everyone happy but this is as close as it comes

• Brad Stevens
  • Billy Donovan
  • John Beilien
  • Thad Matta 
  • Chris Beard

Keep it in the family

• Dane Fife 
  • Steve Alford
  • Keith Smart
  • Mike Woodson
  • Randy Whitman
  • Calbert Cheaney
  • Michael Lewis

Let’s try another up and comer

• Dennis Gates (mostly seen on other boards)
  • Andy Enfield
  • Nate Oats

Long shots that would be interesting 

• Chris Mack
  • Dana Altman

Win now at any cost

• Scott Drew
  • Rick Pitino

Brad Stevens would be in a category of “You actually can please EVERYONE”

21 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

How does Mack play on both ends?  Anybody have a scouting report?

What I do like is that he’s a very aggressive recruiter.  He goes all out.   

Mack plays pack line.  His offense looks similar to Archie's, too.  Maybe he coaches it better and recruits to it better, but a lot of Louisville fans aren't impressed with his offense.

12 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Enfield isn’t my choice but he is an upgrade from Archie. He has been there for 8 years. First 2 years were rough. You mentioned 6 years, his record for the last 6 has been 129-67 in that period, 65.8%. All while going against the cheating Arizona Wildcats. If Oregon loses today, then USC will win the conference. 

Mack is also an upgrade from Archie. 

only 2 home run hires and both are in the NBA and are pipe dream. If people are going to be disappointed with anyone besides Stevens or Donovan, then they aren’t being realistic. Enfield and Mack are successful, to different degrees, at power 5 schools where Archie hasn’t been. 

I’ll also give any coach 3 years before job security is on the table on year 4. 

You're right, 8 years Enfield has been there. I'm not sure where I got 6. I still don't think he's an upgrade. That conference is pretty bad and his record there has not been that good.

I said Mack would be an upgrade. I just don't see him as doing much better than at Louisville which is certainly better than Miller at IU but I don't see him building a N.C. contender. He would get IU into the tournament most years and probably place well in the B1G.

There are coaches other than Stevens and Donovan that I'd be happy with. I was talking about these two new names which seems more in line with the type of hire I would expect from IU. Especially Enfield. That would not be a good hire but I could see them doing it.

I'd certainly take Mack over Alford, Fife, any other previous IU player, Enfield, Gates, and probably several other names that will come up.

I'll support whomever is hired for the first few years, just like I have with all the other coaching hires I thought weren't good.

5 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

Mack plays pack line.  His offense looks similar to Archie's, too.  Maybe he coaches it better and recruits to it better, but a lot of Louisville fans aren't impressed with his offense.

What I like about Mack is his aggressive attitude.  He recruits relentlessly. He seems to like length with quickness. Just as importantly, he doesn’t back down from any BS.  He’s here to compete and go toe to toe with the big boys in the B1G. We could use some edginess like that.  The players become ah extension of the coach.  

No way would I go for Enfield over Mack. 

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

What I like about Mack is his aggressive attitude.  He recruits relentlessly. He seems to like length with quickness. Just as importantly, he doesn’t back down from any BS.  He’s here to compete and go toe to toe with the big boys in the B1G. We could use some edginess like that.  The players become ah extension of the coach.  

No way would I go for Enfield over Mack. 

I really like your point. We need an aggressive personality who embraces the craziness and pressure that IU basketball has. I think Beard and Mack would both do that part really well. I get the sense that Enfield would get eaten alive here. 

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

There was a thread around the time of Crean’s departure that had a million views lol.  Mile was very proud of that.  RIP

A million views is no joke. 

So this one at less than 150k views has a ways to go...

25 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

I agree @BobSaccamanno.  Personality-wise, Mack is a much better fit for IU than Miller.

Also thank you for the rundown on his systems. I guess I’m not against Archie’s system as much as the execution.  The pack line is not popular here but take Virginia for example.  They are very hard to score on, typically. 

On offense I like the motion offense. Move the ball more with passes and not the dribble.  Utilize off ball screens.  Deploy players who understand their role and function.  Sloan screen 45.  Eyl defending, rebounding and passing.  I think the closest we could get to that would be Beard.  

But Mack does have a lot to like.  If he’s got the ball and players moving on offense and clever deployment of players, I’m all for it.  If he sees Romeo or Franklin standing in the corner isn’t working, and he’s willing to adapt to empower them with the ball, then we have some creativity.  I don’t like dribble drive, let somebody go make a one on one play offense as the base case.

Look at his video with Calipari and some of the scraps he gets into.  He’s not afraid of confrontation and he’s here to compete and win. We aren’t going to be anybody’s patsy.  Man, we need that.  

I’m not saying he’s my favorite choice but I’d absolutely be happy about getting him.  

Beard. I am all in. No further research needed.   

Mack vs Drew.  I guess I will try to watch Louisville and Baylor if I can see them on TV.  Strong inclination toward Mack though.  There is the Hanner thing but Mack is from Cincinnati and is embedded in our part of the world.  Like the fit and his attributes.  

13 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Also thank you for the rundown on his systems. I guess I’m not against Archie’s system as much as the execution.  The pack line is not popular here but take Virginia for example.  They are very hard to score on, typically. 

On offense I like the motion offense. Move the ball more with passes and not the dribble.  Utilize off ball screens.  Deploy players who understand their role and function.  Sloan screen 45.  Eyl defending, rebounding and passing.  I think the closest we could get to that would be Beard.  

But Mack does have a lot to like.  If he’s got the ball and players moving on offense and clever deployment of players, I’m all for it.  If he sees Romeo or Franklin standing in the corner isn’t working, and he’s willing to adapt to empower them with the ball, then we have some creativity.  I don’t like dribble drive, let somebody go make a one on one play offense as the base case.

Look at his video with Calipari and some of the scraps he gets into.  He’s not afraid of confrontation and he’s here to compete and win. We aren’t going to be anybody’s patsy.  Man, we need that.  

I’m not saying he’s my favorite choice but I’d absolutely be happy about getting him.  

I'd be very happy with Mack.  His personality would be a great fit.  If Stevens and Donovan are grand slams and Beard is a home run then Mack is a solid triple at least.  We'd be set for the next 15 plus years. 

Archived