It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I agree about the UL fans, but at the same time he is replacing a top 10 coach of all time there. He doesn't have those same shoes to fill at IU. 

He also had a really good team last year that would have been capable making some noise had the tournament occurred. That likely would’ve done much to quiet the fans down.

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The crusher would be IU hiring Mack from Louisville, seemingly making their fans happy, and then watching Louisville go get someone like Beard to replace him. 

Mack's record compares favorably to Beard, he just doesn't have the final four appearance. If it wasn't for Beard's ties to Knight, I'd give the resume edge to Mack. He certainly has a longer track record and he's been consistently successful. Plus the Midwest ties are an edge. I'm hoping the rumors are true that he's interested.

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Imagine we grab Mack and then Lousiville goes out and replaces him with Beard or someone we have higher on our list as fans. 

If I'm Beard I'm asking myself why did a guy who's wife is from Louisville just take a lateral move to get away?  What does he know about that program that I don't?

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

If I'm Beard I'm asking myself why did a guy who's wife is from Louisville just take a lateral move to get away?  What does he know about that program that I don't?

Good point. It would say a lot about the current environment at Louisville if Mack leaves. 

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

If Beard would listen to Louisville with the NCAA cloud hanging over them, I would have to imagine he would hear out IU as well. Now, whether or not he would leave Texas to go to either school is a valid question.

3 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Mack's record compares favorably to Beard, he just doesn't have the final four appearance. If it wasn't for Beard's ties to Knight, I'd give the resume edge to Mack. He certainly has a longer track record and he's been consistently successful. Plus the Midwest ties are an edge.

Good post. Just went and looked closer at Mack's career, it's pretty good. Several second weekend tournament trips. Would like to see a little more consistency in his conference finishes, they seem a little Crean'ish with ups and downs. 

1 minute ago, FritzIam4IU said:

If Beard would listen to Louisville with the NCAA cloud hanging over them, I would have to imagine he would hear out IU as well. Now, whether or not he would leave Texas to go to either school is a valid question.

I could see him listening to IU because of RMK. Don't know what Louisville would have to interest him

I wonder if we’re not all underestimating the boosters/BoT desire to get an “IU guy” as the coach. If you remember, it was a major talking point last go around and there was a lot of criticism that Glass didn’t look harder(or at all) at anyone with IU ties. Personally I couldn’t care less about someone having a tie to our program, but my opinion doesn’t matter.

23 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

If it was known since Friday that the money has been raised for the buyout, then it certainly lines up with there being a BoT meeting with members of the athletic department today. Could be discussions of “ok, we’ve got the money, let’s talk about who we’re going to go after and what it will cost.” 

Sorry, maybe I missed it in the 180+ pages of this thread. Where is that info coming from??

1 minute ago, madmax said:

I wonder if we’re not all underestimating the boosters/BoT desire to get an “IU guy” as the coach. If you remember, it was a major talking point last go around and there was a lot of criticism that Glass didn’t look harder(or at all) at anyone with IU ties. Personally I couldn’t care less about someone having a tie to our program, but my opinion doesn’t matter.

Word was that once Glass found Miller, he wouldn’t listen to any other options. 

1 minute ago, T-Free20 said:

Sorry, maybe I missed it in the 180+ pages of this thread. Where is that info coming from??

I believe an insider on a different board mentioned he knew there was supposed to be a meeting today, and he said that before today (can’t remember if it was yesterday or before)...and if he said today that he knew since Friday that the money has been raised, then I would guess those discussions are going to be made if there is indeed a meeting. 

15 minutes ago, madmax said:

He also had a really good team last year that would have been capable making some noise had the tournament occurred. That likely would’ve done much to quiet the fans down.

Very true. They could have easily been an E8 or better team last year. 

2 minutes ago, madmax said:

This....I bet hiring an IU guy would be criteria for the buyout money being available.  If not an IU guy, at least someone with consistent, proven success, whoever that may be.  All speculation but I can’t imagine someone handing over a large sum Of money without promise of an undeniable upgrade 

1 minute ago, CTrojan88 said:

This....I bet hiring an IU guy would be criteria for the buyout money being available.  If not an IU guy, at least someone with consistent, proven success, whoever that may be.  All speculation but I can’t imagine someone handing over a large sum Of money without promise of an undeniable upgrade 

This post does a fabulous job of contradicting itself. 

There is no reality where the buyout is contingent on it being an IU guy and an undeniable upgrade. 

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Don’t know where to put this but I just saw that we’ve got Texas Tech vs Baylor on ESPN at 4:00 EST/3:00 CST.  

If I were Billy Packer I would say the winner gets the IU job lol. 

Funny...there have been 2 times I watched games where I thought the winning coach would get the IU job.  The first was the Iowa-IU game you are obviously referring to.  The other was the Dayton-Wichita State game in the NCAA Tournament in 2017, Archie vs. Gregg Marshall.  Both times we went with the losing coach instead, ha ha.

4 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

I believe an insider on a different board mentioned he knew there was supposed to be a meeting today, and he said that before today (can’t remember if it was yesterday or before)...and if he said today that he knew since Friday that the money has been raised, then I would guess those discussions are going to be made if there is indeed a meeting. 

Good to know and very interesting to hear.

Archived