It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

23 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Imagine we grab Mack and then Lousiville goes out and replaces him with Beard or someone we have higher on our list as fans. 

Beards buyout is like 16 million or something crazy like that. If Mack is legitimately looking to get out it’s because of sanctions coming. I doubt Beard goes to a situation like that. 

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

Funny...there have been 2 times I watched games where I thought the winning coach would get the IU job.  The first was the Iowa-IU game you are obviously referring to.  The other was the Dayton-Wichita State game in the NCAA Tournament in 2017, Archie vs. Gregg Marshall.  Both times we went with the losing coach instead, ha ha.

Sounds like we are getting Beard!

Rabby was on JMV the other day.  To paraphrase, he confirmed that there is offset language in relation to Archie’s buyout.  He pointed out what we thought here, that the buyout is paid over three years and that it’s decreased by whatever income he can get in another job.   So it’s not like IU needs to dig up $10 M by April 1 or something.  This could really end up being $3-4 million spread over 3 years.

However, Rabjohns did have somebody from IU call him to say that it’s not treated so simply.  They allocate for the full amount as if they’d actually have to pay it because it’s technically a liability on their books.  

Bottom line, it shouldn’t be some debilitating thing.  If anything it can be used as a tool to calibrate fans expectations.  

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

This post does a fabulous job of contradicting itself. 

There is no reality where the buyout is contingent on it being an IU guy and an undeniable upgrade. 

Yeah well...shoot me.  Basically saying that the people putting up the money, if in fact there are any, most likely wouldn’t do so without some input on a new coach since the last two hires have been abysmal 

Since this is all speculation, i’ll throw this in the mix.  Regardless of the specifics in Arch’s buyout, a smart move might be to challenge him and offer an upfront total payout, with a smaller total $$.  Im sure one of the KSoB students can run a few different scenarios.  Lord knows he may have failed to achieve more than one coach’s  objectives in the contract.  

1 hour ago, madmax said:

There is a poster on another site who claims that Mack’s agent has let IU know that he would listen to a pitch. Some have suggested that he wants to escape the NCAA cloud that hangs over the program.

My question is how does that poster know this information

2 hours ago, IUJoe said:

Mack plays pack line.  His offense looks similar to Archie's, too.  Maybe he coaches it better and recruits to it better, but a lot of Louisville fans aren't impressed with his offense.

I want to move towards playing a more exciting brand of basketball.  I think the pack line leads to some boring games, and I think it is way too susceptible to other teams getting hot from deep.  Bennett's record in the tournament before their championship run was horrible.  They get crazy lucky on that run too.  It will be interesting to watch their tournament play in the next few years to see how they do.

Not that I want to get back to all of Crean's offense, but our transition offense was incredible for a few years.  In the highlights somebody posted from the Michigan game when we were #1, just look how many wide open looks and easy points we got in transition.  Get the ball up quick and put some pressure on the defense.

I think a big part of Archie's issue with recruiting guards is that it isn't an exciting system for guards to play in.  There were 3 times yesterday when the ball went PU scored, somebody grabbed the ball to inbound it and got the ball right in (Hunter I think), and Race looked at him with his hands up like, "hey, that's my job."  Even said something to him during or after the play.  I get it if they are putting on a lot of pressure, but if not, whoever is there get the darn thing and go!

I know things are different in different sports, but Allen has been vocal that he wants the football team to throw the ball around.  He's said numerous times that he wants a system that will be exciting for recruits.  Passing a lot will lead to getting better QB, WR, TE recruits which will lead to a better offense.  Running a faster system in basketball will make it easier to bring in guards.

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Don’t know where to put this but I just saw that we’ve got Texas Tech vs Baylor on ESPN at 4:00 EST/3:00 CST.  

If I were Billy Packer I would say the winner gets the IU job lol. 

Now that's funny. Remember him saying that just like it was yesterday. 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

So just to confirm. Someone at IU that posts on the other board routinely with a good history has said the buyout $ is done and Mack is the target? Is that accurate?

Said Mack has interest not that he's necessarily a target.  Yes the buyout money is there.

This isn't a defense of Archie, because I think his tenure has run its course, but I do think things would look quite a bit different today had that 18-19 season turned out differently. A backcourt with Phinisee, Romeo, and Hunter as true freshmen was set to play up tempo. Then Hunter got hurt. Then Romeo hurt his wrist, and then Phinisee had his concussion. None were ever the same after that. 

Those injuries helped beget the big (12 game?) losing streak, which dramatically heightened the pressure on Archie. That's also when recruiting started going south (Archie hasn't landed a highly ranked recruit since...edit: except Lander). So then Archie understandably decided to play more structured, probably thinking that would give him more control over his fate. But it ultimately backfires, and will likely cost him his job.

It is what it is, but it isn't hard to see how things could have worked out much differently with better luck on the injury front.

5 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

This isn't a defense of Archie, because I think his tenure has run its course, but I do think things would look quite a bit different today had that 18-19 season turned out differently. A backcourt with Phinisee, Romeo, and Hunter as true freshmen was set to play up tempo. Then Hunter got hurt. Then Romeo hurt his wrist, and then Phinisee had his concussion. None were ever the same after that. 

Those injuries helped beget the big (12 game?) losing streak, which dramatically heightened the pressure on Archie. That's also when recruiting started going south (Archie hasn't landed a highly ranked recruit since). So then Archie understandably decided to play more structured, probably thinking that would give him more control over his fate. But it ultimately backfires, and will likely cost him his job.

It is what it is, but it isn't hard to see how things could have worked out much differently with better luck on the injury front.

Lander.

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

So, has the Bloomington Fire Departments been called in to handle all the smoke emanating from this “hush-hush” BOT meeting?

If there was news to be had, I would have thought that these so-called “insiders” would have been all over it by now.

Because someone knows what time it was at?

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

So, has the Bloomington Fire Departments been called in to handle all the smoke emanating from this “hush-hush” BOT meeting?

If there was news to be had, I would have thought that these so-called “insiders” would have been all over it by now.

You'd only think info would immediately trickle out of a BOT meeting if you think someone's source is on the BOT. 

I've never seen any reason to believe that to be the case. 

Archived