It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree. But, people also can't say he missed the tournament all 4 years. 

In the 3 years there was a tournament during Archie's tenure, he missed all three. 

Correct. The truth is he has never made a tournament at IU. That is simply a fact. I don’t feel sorry for Archie. Think of a team like Baylor or Dayton or Gonzaga or Kansas who lost a shot at a title. IU missing out really meant nothing. 

His W/L, his conference record, and his trajectory of the program is how he should and will be evaluated.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree. But, people also can't say he missed the tournament all 4 years. 

In the 3 years there was a tournament during Archie's tenure, he missed all three. 

Can’t disagree with that. That’s clearly the facts. It can be said, assuming it’s over for him here, that he never made the tournament as the IU head coach.

Drew, who some are hoping gets a call from IU didn’t make the tournament last year either. It can be argued that they were likely a number one seed and favored to win. No one made a non existent tournament.

1 minute ago, Inequality said:

Can’t disagree with that. That’s clearly the facts. It can be said, assuming it’s over for him here, that he never made the tournament as the IU head coach.

Drew, who some are hoping gets a call from IU didn’t make the tournament last year either. It can be argued that they were likely a number one seed and favored to win. No one made a non existent tournament.

So, you could say that a coach that had one of the best teams in the country, couldn’t even make the tournament. Why would anyone want to hire that resume?

3 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Dear________. We want you to come coach our basketball program. Our administration really wants you to come here and we’ll do everything in our power to make sure you have a chance to succeed, but we don’t want you to be too successful because we are an academic institution first. We will give you 4 years to quell the mania that is the IU fan base and if the pandemic takes a turn for the worst, too bad, so sad. 

Please understand, basketball is a religion everywhere in the state of Indiana except within the leadership of our institution, who could care less how successful you are, as long as you remain the cash cow and support our vision .

We hope you sign up, but if not, no big deal. We’ll find someone. Maybe.

Don't believe that at all about the administration.  I have loved what I have heard from Dolson since he has been here and believe he will do what is best for the basketball program.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Don't believe that at all about the administration.  I have loved what I have heard from Dolson since he has been here and believe he will do what is best for the basketball program.

There has been a pages long conversation on this thread that the administration has not been supportive. So that’s been all bs?

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Correct. The truth is he has never made a tournament at IU. That is simply a fact. I don’t feel sorry for Archie. Think of a team like Baylor or Dayton or Gonzaga or Kansas who lost a shot at a title. IU missing out really meant nothing. 

His W/L, his conference record, and his trajectory of the program is how he should and will be evaluated.

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

There has been a pages long conversation on this thread that the administration has not been supportive. So that’s been all bs?

In my opinion it is BS.  If they didn't care about the athletic department we would pay Archie 3.5 mil.  we would not have made the big upgrades on facilities.  Our football team would not be ranked in the top 10, our women's team would not be in the top 10 or our baseball and soccer teams would not be nationally ranked.

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Just trying to make sure that the standards are the same regardless of who is being evaluated by them

I think in year 4 Archie should have been able to finish in the top 5 of the conference with a chance to win it.  I think we should be at least in the talk to be a 4 or 5 seed in the tournament with a chance to make the sweet 16.  We should not have 4 straight losing conference seasons and not finished above 6th in the conference.

3 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Has there been any real news?  And whoever replies, can you tag me so I actually see it?  Good lord, this thread moves faster than an avalanche.

We have no idea if that BOT meeting was even about the basketball program so it is all speculation in my view point.  Never no when these guys say they are an insider if they actually are or just trolling to play with the fan base.  Until this week I nave never heard of Chris and Btown banners at all so I have no idea if this guy has any legit info.

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Just trying to make sure that the standards are the same regardless of who is being evaluated by them

How can the standards be the same?  You have hundreds of posters on here all with different ideas of success.  Over the Archie years some have been in the get rid of him camp and other have been in the wait till next year camp. So while the standards for changing to the get rid of him camp will vary for most what seems to be pretty interesting is that the wait till next year camp is a ghost town. 

Even the media have left. With Crean the media seemed to stay around till the end. 

I respect a contrarian perspective and often find myself there too. However, You aren’t going to find all have the same reason for coming here nor will we have the same standards for our next coach except that he isn’t Archie. 

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think in year 4 Archie should have been able to finish in the top 5 of the conference with a chance to win it.  I think we should be at least in the talk to be a 4 or 5 seed in the tournament with a chance to make the sweet 16.  We should not have 4 straight losing conference seasons and not finished above 6th in the conference.

To be fair, it's only 3 straight losing conference seasons. Miller was able to coach Crean's team to a 0.500 conference record. It's only after Miller's recruits started playing that they dropped below that threshold.

2 minutes ago, 8Bucks said:

How can the standards be the same?  You have hundreds of posters on here all with different ideas of success.  Over the Archie years some have been in the get rid of him camp and other have been in the wait till next year camp. So while the standards for changing to the get rid of him camp will vary for most what seems to be pretty interesting is that the wait till next year camp is a ghost town. 

Even the media have left. With Crean the media seemed to stay around till the end. 

I respect a contrarian perspective and often find myself there too. However, You aren’t going to find all have the same reason for coming here nor will we have the same standards for our next coach except that he isn’t Archie. 

Really, the only one that matters is the AD, and until he says CAM is no longer the coach, then he is and despite what many are clamoring for, its all just noise.

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

We have no idea if that BOT meeting was even about the basketball program so it is all speculation in my view point.  Never no when these guys say they are an insider if they actually are or just trolling to play with the fan base.  Until this week I nave never heard of Chris and Btown banners at all so I have no idea if this guy has any legit info.

I believe he said a lot of things right including Tom Crean getting fired and then Archie Miller getting hired, other than that, I have no idea 

39 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Here is a question...has Archie met the standards that was set for him by Glass when he was hired. Can you even say he is close to meeting any of it...this year or next? If he is then it’s questionable how well. If not then should he continue to be the guy at the helm?

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2017/03/17/what-fred-glass-looking-ius-next-coach/99277308/

1 hour ago, go_iu_bb said:

Care to paraphrase what he said?

He said Cal was his coach when he played for the nets.

When the job came open Cal got a hold of Evans to put in a word for him because of his connection to the program.

- It was after Oden and Conley went to OSU and he said that Matta and Weber would not be allowed in the state if he was coach. Nobody would be allowed to recruit here and he’d get all the best players.

-Memphis was a commuter school that wasn’t attractive. He couldn’t get guys like Mike Love to even visit Memphis, but he’d get those guys to Indiana.

- He said he’d do back flips if he got the job: ‘he’d back flip all the way to Bloomington’

- He wasn’t concerned about the starting salary. He said that he’d prove himself in the first 2 years and the University would re-up his contract.  (Exactly what UK did, btw)

- Evans took this info to Greenspan and he was told by Greenspan that he was not accepting any solicitation. Cut him off, didn’t even look into it further.

After today’s games we officially tied for 10th in the conference, with PSU, and have now finished 6th, 9th, 10th and 10th in the league.

The good news is that we barely escaped the first round of the BT tourney, which consists of the 4 bottom feeders, because of our strong 10 seed. I believe that wildly exceeding expectations, by earning the first round bye, means Archie’s $800,000 bonus kicks in. Well done and much appreciated. Looking forward to the “W” against Rutgers.

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

He said Cal was his coach when he played for the nets.

When the job came open Cal got a hold of Evans to put in a word for him because of his connection to the program.

- It was after Oden and Conley went to OSU and he said that Matta and Weber would not be allowed in the state if he was coach. Nobody would be allowed to recruit here and he’d get all the best players.

-Memphis was a commuter school that wasn’t attractive. He couldn’t get guys like Mike Love to even visit Memphis, but he’d get those guys to Indiana.

- He said he’d do back flips if he got the job: ‘he’d back flip all the way to Bloomington’

- He wasn’t concerned about the starting salary. He said that he’d prove himself in the first 2 years and the University would re-up his contract.  (Exactly what UK did, btw)

- Evans took this info to Greenspan and he was told by Greenspan that he was not accepting any solicitation. Cut him off, didn’t even look into it further.

We would have had atleast one more championship. No Tom Crean or Archie Miller. 

Archived