It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Does anyone else find it strange with all of the media outlets that talking about Archie's job status that we haven't heard a word from Dolson.  Even if he knows he is making a change you would think that he would come out with some generic comment about looking things at the end of the year and nothing has been decided.

I would say he's waiting for the season to be over to say something which is the fair and wise thing to do

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

I simply stopped refreshing for two hours to lead a Christian Apologetics study and come back and I’m pages behind 😩 

And yet you missed nothing. Imagine this is a Trey Kaufman recruiting thread. In the end I’m sure you will be disappointed unless your a Purdue fan.

9 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

You are being so obtuse I don't know why anyone is engaging you on this.  Talk about agendas....

I think people who want Archie back understand just fine...Geez, after 200 pages of non-stop Archie/team bashing, and spilling over into every other thread, how could we NOT understand...

I have a feeling though, that you fellas are going to be disappointed either way this goes...

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think people who want Archie back understand just fine...Geez, after 200 pages of non-stop Archie/team bashing, and spilling over into every other thread, how could we NOT understand...

I have a feeling though, that you fellas are going to be disappointed either way this goes...

I’m unfortunately going to agree with you that if I am a betting man it’s more likely we stay with Archie and/or get a very uninspiring hire VS we are jumping for joy with who we hire or generally pleased.

Just now, BADGERVOL said:

I’m unfortunately going to agree with you that if I am a betting man it’s more likely we stay with Archie and/or get a very uninspiring hire VS we are jumping for joy with who we hire or generally pleased.

I am afraid those are the 2 choices...

What I hope DOESN'T happen is, if they keep him, we have to endure a summer of our discontent...The same old gnashing of teeth and baiting of breath...

No matter the case, if there were a change, I'll get behind the new guy...If Archie is retained, I'll stay behind him too...

We don't need this fan base fractured any more than it already is...

I think whoever the coach is when the decision is made, should get on Dakich's radio show and sing "Come Together."

21 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

He is fine to have his opinion, I was specifically talking about the comment I responded to about Drew missing the tournament as if the situation at Baylor mirrors Miller's finishes in any way, shape, or form.

Here is where I am at, if Miller is retained, based on how things have gone so far, there is about a 95% chance I an disappointed.   The miracle out of a hat I think he could pull is what I would consider a disaster.  A year where he makes the tournament by going around 20-11.

If we replace him, I have at least some hope of things getting better.  50/50 at that point.  Even if we go with an unknown like Fife.

Finally, the only "fact" you guys want to hammer on is "we would have made the tournament last year if it was held".  Seriously, even if he gets credit for that, give me any reason that doesn't involve the buyout to retain him another year.  And base it off what we have seen on the court.  The people on the "time to move on" side don't need to play the "what if" game to buttress our argument.  Exhibit A, the Coach Adragna article that was linked earlier.  Declining offense.  Declining defense.  Declining Big Ten record.  Poor shooting.  We are in the bottom third of almost every statistic that counts.   Miller is not even meeting his own goals he set out, let alone the one's Glass did.

Steuben keeps dishing it, so he can take it.  His point on Baylor missing the tournament last year was dumb.  He has been saying keep Archie "just because" for days and telling people to be factual.  Someone posts an article that basically destroyed Miller's tenure here with facts and he responds with, "well that is what has already been said."  Ok then, step up to the plate guy and defend him with something... anything...that is court related.  Things like COVID (which impacted everyone) and injuries are about the closest I have heard anyone come.  The latter of which can happen at any time.  So if you are going to bring up injuries you have to explain how Miller is going to mitigate that issue next year.

He's basically indefensible at this point.  Anything is better next year because anybody else represents hope for something better.  Miller is a stubborn SOB, his nickname literally spells that out.  The only change he might be able to bring at this point is transfers.  He isn't changing anything else.  So literally anyone other than him walking through that door represents some form of hope because they represent change....that includes Alford, Fife, etc. 

14 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Aren’t the existence of BoT a matter of public record, even if it’s executive session?  With executive session, in private companies the content can be generally confidential, but I don’t believe the existence of the session is confidential.  You’d think a public entity like IU announces the meetings.  

EDIT.  Got my answer. 

https://trustees.iu.edu/meetings-minutes/index.html

There is a meeting in executive session tomorrow, March 8.  The next regular meeting is in April.   

I think this meeting is from 9 - 11 am today. 

Edit to add:  Clicking on that link verifies the time is 9 - 11 am.

2 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

He is fine to have his opinion, I was specifically talking about the comment I responded to about Drew missing the tournament as if the situation at Baylor mirrors Miller's finishes in any way, shape, or form.

Here is where I am at, if Miller is retained, based on how things have gone so far, there is about a 95% chance I an disappointed.   The miracle out of a hat I think he could pull is what I would consider a disaster.  A year where he makes the tournament by going around 20-11.

If we replace him, I have at least some hope of things getting better.  50/50 at that point.  Even if we go with an unknown like Fife.

Finally, the only "fact" you guys want to hanner on is "we would have made the tournament last year if it was held".  Seriously, even if he gets credit for that, give me any reason that doesn't involve the buyout to retain him another year.  And base it off what we have seen on the court.  The people on the "time to move on" side don't need to play the "what if" game to buttress our argument.  Exhibit A, the Coach Adragna article that was linked earlier.  Declining offense.  Declining defense.  Declining Big Ten record.  Poor shooting.  We are in the bottom third of almost every statistic that counts.   Miller is not even meeting his own goals he set out, let alone the one's Glass did.

Steuben keeps dishing it, so he can take it.  His point on Baylor missing the tournament last year was dumb.  He has been saying keep Archie just because for days and telling people to be factual.  Someone posts an article that basically destroyed Miller's tenure here with facts and he responds with, "well that is what has already been said."  Ok then, step up to the plate guy and defend him with sonething... anything...that is court related.  Things like COVID (which impacted everyone) and injuries are about the closest I have heard anyone come.  The latter of which can happen at any time.  So if you are going to bring up injuries you have to explain how Miller is going to mitigate that issue next year.

He's basically indefensible at this point.  Anything is better next year because anybody else represents hope for something better.  Miller is a stubborn SOB, his nickname literally spells that out.  The only change he might be able to bring at this point is transfers.  He isn't changing anything else.  So literally anyone other than him walking through that door represents some form of hope because the represent change....that includes Alford, Fife, etc. 

You and I have been through all of this before, and like I told Scott, walk the same road too many times and all it does is turn into mud...

My own thought is, Coach Miller has been incredibly unlucky in his tenure here...Be it Hunter's injury or picking the wrong Indiana kid (Anderson over Henry...and to be fair, both Rob #135 and Damezi # 124 were ranked higher by the recruiting services than Aaron # 140) or Joey and Armaan's injuries this year, he just hasn't had the best of luck...

I think he deserves one more crack at it...And I'm on record saying that if he's .500 in the B1G next year and struggling to make the tournament, then fire up the hiring bus...

Wanting change just for the sake of change is mind boggling to me...Having experienced that a time or 2, it rarely winds up as any kind of progress...

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You and I have been through all of this before, and like I told Scott, walk the same road too many times and all it does is turn into mud...

My own thought is, Coach Miller has been incredibly unlucky in his tenure here...Be it Hunter's injury or picking the wrong Indiana kid (Anderson over Henry...and to be fair, both Rob #135 and Damezi # 124 were ranked higher by the recruiting services than Aaron # 140) or Joey and Armaan's injuries this year, he just hasn't had the best of luck...

I think he deserves one more crack at it...And I'm on record saying that if he's .500 in the B1G next year and struggling to make the tournament, then fire up the hiring bus...

Wanting change just for the sake of change is mind boggling to me...Having experienced that a time or 2, it rarely winds up as any kind of progress...

Wanting change just for the sake of change?  I have no GD idea what that means.  No one is calling for a change just for a sake of change.  We're calling for change because it's clear to anyone not completely blind that Archie isn't the guy and we almost certainly have better options available.  His entire tenure here has been a complete dumpster fire.  Recruiting has fallen off a cliff and mass transfers are likely coming.  It's over.

2 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Wanting change just for the sake of change?  I have no GD idea what that means.  No one is calling for a change just for a sake of change.  We're calling for change because it's clear to anyone not completely blind that Archie isn't the guy and we almost certainly have better options available.  His entire tenure here has been a complete dumpster fire.  Recruiting has fallen off a cliff and mass transfers are likely coming.  It's over.

17 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

So literally anyone other than him walking through that door represents some form of hope because they represent change....that includes Alford, Fife, etc.

There ya go...

Every coach deals with injuries, some more than others. Roster building is a big part of a coaches job, and a coach needs to be able to adapt to unknowns that crop up during the year (injuries, transfers, ineligibilties). It's got to be a next man up scenario. Some of these unknowns have big impacts and are hard to juggle, but these coaches are paid the big dollars to handle things like this.

You could argue that Tom Crean was incredibly unlucky. 

-Mo Creek's injury

-Emmit Holt driving an SUV into Devin Davis

-Luke Fisher Transferring

-Noah Vonleh entering the draft early.

At the end of the day, you can always come up with excuses as to why you can't do something. The good coaches adapt and make it happen no matter the hand they are dealt. If nothing else, they can at least show improvement. Can you say that Archie has shown improvment here in 4 years?

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I’m ok with Archie coming back under two circumstances.  

1. The right guy isn’t available this year. And if Archie shows he’s the guy next year then he continues.

2.  If he stays he makes some major changes, wether that’s players, coaches, scheme, a mix of all.  He can’t go in next year with this same group thinking something will be different other than they are a year older.  I get the “get old, stay old” thing but that’s when you have big ten caliber players.  I’m not sure Rob is that anymore, or at least not a big ten starter. I love all the players that put on the candy stripes but a lot of this roster, that Archie assembled, isn’t top tier big ten talent.  Rob, Al, Race, Brunk, and Jerome are at best big ten back ups on a good team.  Jury is still out on Lander, Leal, Galloway, and Geronimo. Armaan and TJD are the only two that would play minutes on, Michigan, Illinois, Purdue, and any other top tier team.  

Just now, IUFLA said:

Sorry, you kind of got caught up in my fire at someone else.

I am just done with Miller.  To me, the injuries are not a compelling argument to retain unless someone can show me how he plans to make sure he is not in that position next year should we see more injuries.

Even making the hypothetical tournament last year, the reality is that, no hypotheticals, this was supposed to be his turn around year.  But here I sit again, another March where Indiana is not playing in a game that matters, for the 5th year in a row.  Meanwhile, the college basketball world is going to be playing meaningful games all within 30 minutes to an hour and a half from my front door the whole month.

This was the year that I was supposed to be waiting on when I was complaining about results the past 2 years.  "Just wait..." I have been told over and over and over again.  I have seen enough.  He sucks here.  He may be good somewhere else, but he is not the answer here (IMO).

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

There ya go...

That is not change for the sake of change.  That is saying, "I know for a fact that this is not working, so trying anything else will be better."

You have a triangle wheel.  You say it is hard but it works somewhat.  I say it does not.  It gets stuck and is more effort than it is worth.  We should try anything different because this is not working.  You don't want to move on because of fear of the unknown.  I say that the known sucks so literally anything else is better because we could land on something that works.  We could land on a square which functionally would turn out like the triangle.  We may hit a perfect circle.  We could hit an oval that is not perfect but kind of works.  One thing I know, the triangle is not it.

Change for the sake of change is having your room painted a certain color and then deciding you want a new one just because.  The old color was working fine but you want something new.  I don't want change for the sake of change, I want change because Miller has done a crappy job here.  So trying anything different is better than the alternative of sticking with something that is not working.

10 minutes ago, JABBATHEHOOSIER said:

Every coach deals with injuries, some more than others. Roster building is a big part of a coaches job, and a coach needs to be able to adapt to unknowns that crop up during the year (injuries, transfers, ineligibilties). It's got to be a next man up scenario. Some of these unknowns have big impacts and are hard to juggle, but these coaches are paid the big dollars to handle things like this.

You could argue that Tom Crean was incredibly unlucky. 

-Mo Creek's injury

-Emmit Holt driving an SUV into Devin Davis

-Luke Fisher Transferring

-Noah Vonleh entering the draft early.

At the end of the day, you can always come up with excuses as to why you can't do something. The good coaches adapt and make it happen no matter the hand they are dealt. If nothing else, they can at least show improvement. Can you say that Archie has shown improvment here in 4 years?

As I said, then I don't want to hear anyone complain about 75 or 93 again...

I'd say from year 1 to year 2, yes, there was some improvement...We were in basically a playoff game with OSU in the BTT to go to the dance...Year 2 to year 3? Yes, we were in the dance by 95% of the bracketologists...

This year? I thought we were improving up to Armaan's injury...Take any B1G team's second leading scorer away and they'll have issues...you say "next man up" but on any team the next man normally isn't going to play as well as the starter...Look at Michigan yesterday...Eli Brooks, who doesn't produce any eye popping stats, went out and Michigan struggled...

Look, no one, and I mean no one, is saying that Archie Miller has set the world on fire...You'd be a fool to say that...But looking at the supposedly available candidates to replace him, I don't see one that I think is a significant upgrade...So, bring him back next year, have the search committee on speed dial, and let's see what happens...

23 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Finally, the only "fact" you guys want to hammer on is "we would have made the tournament last year if it was held".  Seriously, even if he gets credit for that, give me any reason that doesn't involve the buyout to retain him another year.  And base it off what we have seen on the court.  The people on the "time to move on" side don't need to play the "what if" game to buttress our argument.  Exhibit A, the Coach Adragna article that was linked earlier.  Declining offense.  Declining defense.  Declining Big Ten record.  Poor shooting.  We are in the bottom third of almost every statistic that counts.   Miller is not even meeting his own goals he set out, let alone the one's Glass did.

Steuben keeps dishing it, so he can take it.  His point on Baylor missing the tournament last year was dumb.  He has been saying keep Archie "just because" for days and telling people to be factual.  Someone posts an article that basically destroyed Miller's tenure here with facts and he responds with, "well that is what has already been said."  Ok then, step up to the plate guy and defend him with something... anything...that is court related.  Things like COVID (which impacted everyone) and injuries are about the closest I have heard anyone come.  The latter of which can happen at any time.  So if you are going to bring up injuries you have to explain how Miller is going to mitigate that issue next year.

He's basically indefensible at this point.  Anything is better next year because anybody else represents hope for something better.  Miller is a stubborn SOB, his nickname literally spells that out.  The only change he might be able to bring at this point is transfers.  He isn't changing anything else.  So literally anyone other than him walking through that door represents some form of hope because they represent change....that includes Alford, Fife, etc. 

First off, I never said anything in regards to asking people to be factual. Must of confused me with someone else. The comment about the article...it's all been said on here, and it just sounds like a broken record. the majority on here have bought into the get rid of Archie concept, and have fed off each other, basically just regurgitating the same stuff, and finding others who believe the same to continue to repeat and repeat.

Sorry you think that the comment I made about Drew was "obtuse" and "dumb". Kinda follows a pattern that has happened too much of late...when you have nothing else to say, make it personal. If you took the time to really think about it, and took the time to maybe think about my history of posting, I rarely say "obtuse" or "dumb" things. My point was to get you guys to maybe, just maybe examine the standards you have for one coach, and then apply them to all. 

I happen to agree with @IUFLA. Archie has been given a raw deal in his tenure here. Could he have done some things better? Absolutely. Am I happy with where we are? Absolutely not. However, I don't think that 4 years is fair to any coach under the circumstances and restrictions that we have been under due to the pandemic. I just find it premature to pull the plug on Archie. I find it a dangerous precedent to act so quickly, and to judge so quickly, when nothing about the last season and a half have been anything close to normal.

Like @IUFLAsaid, I will back whoever the coach is next season. I want the program to return to being a preeminent one. I don't want to start over again right now, because in my opinion, it will set us back from attaining that goal. 

IU basketball hasn't been IU basketball since the early 90's.  I hate to tell that to everyone, but it is the truth.  Knight's last years were shells of his first 20.  I lived with that at the time because we were still making the tournament.  Since his termination we are on coach #4.  And coach #4 is the one that has not delivered some glimmer of hope returning to the glory days.  Davis, Sampson, and Crean all delivered it in some shape or form.  Archie has not.

I have no idea which way the school will go with Miller.  But I will stand behind what their decision is.  This constant bashing is both disconcerting and mind numbing.  

Carry on...

I understand the feeling that firing Archie after four years seems unfair, especially given the circumstances of the 20-21 season. On the other hand, though, I don't see how anyone can think that this program is on an upward trajectory at this point. Even if TJD stays, it's hard to see this group finishing better than middle of the pack next year. Nor do I see how Archie can regain recruiting momentum under these circumstances (barring IU giving him a long-term, guaranteed extension, which I can't imagine anyone would be comfortable with right now).

So fair or not, it just feels like the school's hand is forced here. 

9 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

That is not change for the sake of change.  That is saying, "I know for a fact that this is not working, so trying anything else will be better."

Come on man...that literally translate to change for change sake...

And there are no assurances that a change would make it better...not with 90% of the names I've seen bandied about...

As I said, then I don't want to hear anyone complain about 75 or 93 again...

I'd say from year 1 to year 2, yes, there was some improvement...We were in basically a playoff game with OSU in the BTT to go to the dance...Year 2 to year 3? Yes, we were in the dance by 95% of the bracketologists...

This year? I thought we were improving up to Armaan's injury...Take any B1G team's second leading scorer away and they'll have issues...you say "next man up" but on any team the next man normally isn't going to play as well as the starter...Look at Michigan yesterday...Eli Brooks, who doesn't produce any eye popping stats, went out and Michigan struggled...

Look, no one, and I mean no one, is saying that Archie Miller has set the world on fire...You'd be a fool to say that...But looking at the supposedly available candidates to replace him, I don't see one that I think is a significant upgrade...So, bring him back next year, have the search committee on speed dial, and let's see what happens...

From radio this morning, ticket requests for Assembly Hall for next year are the lowest they have been in years.  Miller is a dead man walking, everyone knows it.  So recruiting will take a dive because he cannot promise anyone he will be around for year 6.  There will finally be fans allowed at games, so you are looking at a fanbase that, if they show up, is going to be pretty full of boo birds the second things start to look off.  Miller teams have had a 4 minute scoring drought in about every game they have played here.  The first home game that happens, the natives get restless and the heckling starts.  How do I know this?  Because in Crean's second or  third year I went to a game at Assembly Hall and he got miffed at some people behind the bench yelling at him to change something up.  The optics of a 75% full Assembly Hall booing the coach will be great.

And 22 wins will not shut them up if there are 11 or 12 losses.  Keeping him on just to fire him in a year is the worst option available.  You ensure that we have to do this, "but we need five years to get a roster" game again.  

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

From radio this morning, ticket requests for Assembly Hall for next year are the lowest they have been in years.  Miller is a dead man walking, everyone knows it.  So recruiting will take a dive because he cannot promise anyone he will be around for year 6.  There will finally be fans allowed at games, so you are looking at a fanbase that, if they show up, is going to be pretty full of boo birds the second things start to look off.  Miller teams have had a 4 minute scoring drought in about every game they have played here.  The first home game that happens, the natives get restless and the heckling starts.  How do I know this?  Because in Crean's second or  third year I went to a game at Assembly Hall and he got miffed at some people behind the bench yelling at him to change something up.  The optics of a 75% full Assembly Hall booing the coach will be great.

And 22 wins will not shut them up if there are 11 or 12 losses.  Keeping him on just to fire him in a year is the worst option available.  You ensure that we have to do this, "but we need five years to get a roster" game again.  

meh

2 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

I understand the feeling that firing Archie after four years seems unfair, especially given the circumstances of the 20-21 season. On the other hand, though, I don't see how anyone can think that this program is on an upward trajectory at this point. Even if TJD stays, it's hard to see this group finishing better than middle of the pack next year. Not do I see how Archie can regain recruiting momentum under these circumstances (barring IU giving him a long-term, guaranteed extension, which I can't imagine anyone would be comfortable with right now).

So fair or not, it just feels like the school's hand is forced here. 

If TJD stays, the expectations skyrocket...I'd take this team...

TJD

Brunk

Race

Logan

Jerome

Armaan

Lander

Stewart

Rob

Anthony

Jordan 

Trey

and think they can indeed contend, especially with what the top tier teams are losing...

3 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Winning cures all ails...

11 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

He said Cal was his coach when he played for the nets.

When the job came open Cal got a hold of Evans to put in a word for him because of his connection to the program.

- It was after Oden and Conley went to OSU and he said that Matta and Weber would not be allowed in the state if he was coach. Nobody would be allowed to recruit here and he’d get all the best players.

-Memphis was a commuter school that wasn’t attractive. He couldn’t get guys like Mike Love to even visit Memphis, but he’d get those guys to Indiana.

- He said he’d do back flips if he got the job: ‘he’d back flip all the way to Bloomington’

- He wasn’t concerned about the starting salary. He said that he’d prove himself in the first 2 years and the University would re-up his contract.  (Exactly what UK did, btw)

- Evans took this info to Greenspan and he was told by Greenspan that he was not accepting any solicitation. Cut him off, didn’t even look into it further.

Thanks for the recap. 

The most telling thing to me is that we fallen so far that I was imagining if we got Cal back then how much better things would be right now. 

I think he's sleazy and have never wanted him as our coach, but all of those things he said are what you want from one.

Archived