It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

12 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Apparently Dakich new this was a terrible hire 4 years ago.  Said Archie was hired purely because he could be controlled. Couldn't control Crean anymore.  Interesting. 

Congrats to Dan for still having a job....  lol

Take what he says with a grain of salt.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

Then you are a better person (or much younger) than me.

I am completely bitter that IU has not been consistently relevant since the early '90s... but not much I can do about it.

67 years old. I have too many other things that I would rather spend my energy on. Archie's situation is totally out of my control. 

8 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

I guess Miller just doesn't get enough credit for dedication to education:

· He clearly has concern for the academic side of things, as he makes sure his players get extra class time with no games after mid-March. He is making sure they go pro in something other than sports.

1 hour ago, BADGERVOL said:

There’s NO scenario where he would leave $10,000,000 on the table. At most if he wanted out it would be negotiated down but he’d still get a HUGE chunk.

So IF he’s not happy and would like to leave and start again, would you take 7-7.5 to do that or go thru hell to get 10? Plus you’d get the salary of where you’d go. So depending how the buyout would work he might love the chance to leave.

Didn't Crean still have 3 or 5 million on his buyout but it was negotiated down to around 2?  I'm trying to remember?

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

You and I have been through all of this before, and like I told Scott, walk the same road too many times and all it does is turn into mud...

My own thought is, Coach Miller has been incredibly unlucky in his tenure here...Be it Hunter's injury or picking the wrong Indiana kid (Anderson over Henry...and to be fair, both Rob #135 and Damezi # 124 were ranked higher by the recruiting services than Aaron # 140) or Joey and Armaan's injuries this year, he just hasn't had the best of luck...

I think he deserves one more crack at it...And I'm on record saying that if he's .500 in the B1G next year and struggling to make the tournament, then fire up the hiring bus...

Wanting change just for the sake of change is mind boggling to me...Having experienced that a time or 2, it rarely winds up as any kind of progress...

Hunter's illness was very unlucky, agreed.

"Picking the wrong Indiana kid" is 100% an indictment on Archie. That's one of the most important parts of his job.

I don't think he deserves one more crack at it at all. I think it's possible he may get one and if he does, I'll hope he turns it around. I still really like Archie, but hard to use a word like deserve to describe him getting another year. 

5 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

I guess Miller just doesn't get enough credit for dedication to education:

So I guess Archie should be seen as an educator first, and a coach second. Then, IU doesn't need to pay him as much. 

Joking aside, other things than basketball are beautiful if and only if he is a winner. Coach Knight did his best to make sure his players graduate with degrees, too. Lots of fans thought it was a beautiful thing, but more importantly, he was a big time winner. So his dedication to education was an icing on the cake. A losing basketball coach's dedication to education...well, it's a good thing, but it's still not coach's main task. 

20 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

So I guess Archie should be seen as an educator first, and a coach second. Then, IU doesn't need to pay him as much. 

Joking aside, other things than basketball are beautiful if and only if he is a winner. Coach Knight did his best to make sure his players graduate with degrees, too. Lots of fans thought it was a beautiful thing, but more importantly, he was a big time winner. So his dedication to education was an icing on the cake. A losing basketball coach's dedication to education...well, it's a good thing, but it's still not coach's main task. 

You say this as though I'm defending Miller and that makes me laugh IRL. Did you read the quote or the link that it's from? 

4 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Maybe you were sarcastic and I misunderstood?

Very much so. The quote I was referring to basically says he shows his dedication to education by missing the postseason so his players can go to class and that they need to go to class because he's not going to turn them into pros.

Here's the quote again:

· He clearly has concern for the academic side of things, as he makes sure his players get extra class time with no games after mid-March. He is making sure they go pro in something other than sports.

I thought it was obviously a joke but I guess not. Mid-March is when the BTT ends.

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Apparently Dakich new this was a terrible hire 4 years ago.  Said Archie was hired purely because he could be controlled. Couldn't control Crean anymore.  Interesting. 

Apparently he forgot to mention it during this interview and said "I think we've got a really good coach in there"(6:40) and other positive things about Miller. 

12 minutes ago, Shapopojoe said:

I love all the hate thrown at Dakich but he’s making a good point....call him up Sofa coaches...dispute what he is saying....love the guy...we need more people who speak honestly

as far as I can tell, he made 3 points

• Crean should not have been fired
  • IU should have hired an IU guy
  • The Cubs might not have enough pitching

Which one of those am I supposed to think is a good point?

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

i'm definitely worried about the Cubs pitching this season.

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Not to get too far off the point here, again, but I sure am going to miss seeing Kyle Schwarber in a Cub uniform this summer. :(  

Carry on.

Just now, Shapopojoe said:

Well, you are not paying attention obviously....your hatred of the guy blinds your critical thinking or some shit...hell, I don’t know...I gotta dictate the whole conversation for you? 

Please do.  Dan rambles on and on about nothing.  his main point of the whole conversation was that an IU guy should have been hired instead of Miller.  Although he didn't specifically say it, you could tell he thought it should have been Alford.

Please enlighten me on how you interpret it differently.  

And, by the way, I disagree with his premise that it needed to be an IU guy.   You hire the best candidate, regardless.  

Mozart = IU coaching job

Antonio Salieri = Dan Dakich

Dakich is not a self-aware person.  This guy had such an overinflated view of himself he truly thinks he should have gotten the job after Sampson.  That may be due to his only head coaching gig at the powerhouse Bowling Green, at which he truly was amazing.  Uh, no.

He is consumed with jealousy, and most everything that comes from his pie hole is contaminated with the effects of not having made peace with the matter for 20 years.  He is a loose cannon idiot  

1 minute ago, Shapopojoe said:

“What about Archie Miller is tremendous?”

”..play up to a standard”

Conversation with Greenspan about not calling Alford and why they didn’t....total agree,ent with him there...

”IU has become like any other university with the exception of a select few”

Just because he called Archie a good coach does not mean he agreed with the hire.  He obviously did not.  He wanted an IU guy and could not have been more clear if he was holding a sign that said so.  

As usual, Dakich was speaking out of both sides of his mouth.  

Just now, Shapopojoe said:

You forgot IMO at the end of that...pretty sure the guy knows more about basketball and the program than 99% of us....instead of being butthurt about his personality, again, dispute his comments...break them down for us...

I appreciate your challenge.  Posting on a message board, like you do, I am not the least bit interested in a direct response.  His history is well-documented 

3 minutes ago, Shapopojoe said:

Dakich “IU should be winning 24 games every year”

”Loves program heart and soul...”

”Why haven’t players developed?”

”Dolson should be talking to former players and coaches and not National guys”

”We tried it for 21 years..hate Alford...hate Bob knight...hate Dakich...it’s not working”

Which video are you referencing.  I'm referencing the interview that was linked from the day Archie was HIRED.  Not anything from today.  Dolson was not AD then.  Dan basically did a hatchet job on Fred Glass in the one I'm talking about.

12 minutes ago, Shapopojoe said:

You forgot IMO at the end of that...pretty sure the guy knows more about basketball and the program than 99% of us....instead of being butthurt about his personality, again, dispute his comments...break them down for us...

Didn't know DD posted on this site, saw him on rivals but not here LOL!

Archived