It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Rumor is he has told Matta that he wants out. 

Where did you see that or who did you hear this.  I just can't wait until the speculation is over and we know one way or another who the coach will be next year.  Also might take Matta out of the picture.

11 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Rumor is he has told Matta that he wants out. 

I’m really shocked by that.  Were there promises made to him of some sort about kids he could recruit that he isn’t able to for some reason?   I know the APR early on affected the transfer situation, but what about now?  Or handcuffed about something else?      That’s really interesting if true.  

7 minutes ago, Bustout said:

I’m really shocked by that.  Were there promises made to him of some sort about kids he could recruit that he isn’t able to for some reason?   I know the APR early on affected the transfer situation, but what about now?  Or handcuffed about something else?      That’s really interesting if true.  

I have no clue if this is even true but if it is then I assume he is just tired of the losing.  Maybe he is ready to get out of the fish bowl which is Indiana basketball and go somewhere else

Honestly doesn't surprise me too much just based off Archie's body language these last few games and post games. He looks pretty defeated tbh. I know we talk about coaches having big egos but they're also human and it's not hard to see how he could be unhappy right now. I'm sure he takes losing hard and sometimes things just don't work out. He's not dumb and maybe he thinks leaving would be good for both sides.

I’m not an insider. But I’ve work with a guy for almost a decade who’s relative is one of Matta’s closest friends. He told me that’s what Matta told his relative. But I did say it was a rumor. So take it with a grain of salt. Just sharing what was talked about earlier this week at my work. I’m personally just waiting to see what actually happens. Still working under the assumption he will be back until he isn’t. 

5 minutes ago, unexpectedflash said:

Honestly doesn't surprise me too much just based off Archie's body language these last few games and post games. He looks pretty defeated tbh. I know we talk about coaches having big egos but they're also human and it's not hard to see how he could be unhappy right now. I'm sure he takes losing hard and sometimes things just don't work out. He's not dumb and maybe he thinks leaving would be good for both sides.

I agree. At times he has looked just depressed as heck and doesn’t know what else to do. His body language has definitely been on the negative side lately. Maybe he really is willing to put ego aside to put himself in a happier state. 

4 minutes ago, Feathery said:

I’m not an insider. But I’ve work with a guy for almost a decade who’s relative is one of Matta’s closest friends. He told me that’s what Matta told his relative. But I did say it was a rumor. So take it with a grain of salt. Just sharing what was talked about earlier this week at my work. I’m personally just waiting to see what actually happens. Still working under the assumption he will be back until he isn’t. 

Any rumors as to whether Matta would take the job?

1 minute ago, IUrocker said:

I agree. At times he has looked just depressed as heck and doesn’t know what else to do. His body language has definitely been on the negative side lately. Maybe he really is willing to put ego aside to put himself in a happier state. 

Go back and watch his opening press conference and tell me he wanted to be here. I didn’t get good vibes from him from day 1. Still gave him a chance though. 

3 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Thanks for passing along.  If he really wants out for some reason, then I’m guessing he’d just leave now and walk away from the money.  He’s got a lot of money and he knows he’ll make more down there road.   

While the bad record and losing is probably making him mad, I just don’t see him failing as a reason why he would want to quit here.   There has to be something going on behind the scenes - some sort of empty promises. 

3 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Thanks for passing along.  If he really wants out for some reason, then I’m guessing he’d just leave now and walk away from the money.  He’s got a lot of money and he knows he’ll make more down there road.   

While the bad record and losing is probably making him mad, I just don’t see him failing as a reason why he would want to quit here.   There has to be something going on behind the scenes - some sort of empty promises. 

I just chalk it up a one of the many rumors. Rumor on another board is that the staff were selling transfers as a way to be better next season to Dolson. So that is contradictory to what I later above. Moral of the story, no normal fan is going to know and honestly Dolson might not know yet either. Archie goes on some magical run and wins the BTT, then he isn’t getting fired. 

3 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Go back and watch his opening press conference and tell me he wanted to be here. I didn’t get good vibes from him from day 1. Still gave him a chance though. 

I was honestly excited about how he described we'd play during first press conference. Sadly most of it was just empty words. If we actually played like he said we would during that press conference we'd have a lot more wins and a lot less people calling for his head. I think he's just not a very openly emotional guy like say a Bruce Pearl which is fine if you get wins but he hasn't. 

Just now, unexpectedflash said:

I was honestly excited about how he described we'd play during first press conference. Sadly most of it was just empty words. If we actually played like he said we would during that press conference we'd have a lot more wins and a lot less people calling for his head. I think he's just not a very openly emotional guy like say a Bruce Pearl which is fine if you get wins but he hasn't. 

He said the right things. My opinion was he just didn’t feel comfortable. I remember thinking oh great the stage is too big. 

6 minutes ago, Feathery said:

He said the right things. My opinion was he just didn’t feel comfortable. I remember thinking oh great the stage is too big. 

I get the impression, like most jobs, they said what they needed to get him and then he saw what it's really going to be like. 

29 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I have no clue if this is even true but if it is then I assume he is just tired of the losing.  Maybe he is ready to get out of the fish bowl which is Indiana basketball and go somewhere else

Every successfull basketball school is a fish bowl. Think Kansas is any different for these coaches?

If he can't take it then he needs to leave 

What’s the feeling on Archie? Do you think he’s getting another year? I would think no news is good news but at the same time who is to say Dolson has a press conference on Friday if IU loses. He then gives him a vote of confidence... Would Hoosier nation lose interest next year? 

To me the best case scenario for both parties would be for Archie to find another job.  If he gets another job and IU can tell the other school that they don't have to pay the buyout in Archie's contract.  That way the money we save in not having to buyout Archie can go towards a new coach.

1 minute ago, Cbp4IU said:

What’s the feeling on Archie? Do you think he’s getting another year? I would think no news is good news but at the same time who is to say Dolson has a press conference on Friday if IU loses. He then gives him a vote of confidence... Would Hoosier nation lose interest next year? 

I will still pay attention and watch but won't be real happy with the decision.  I saw Kent sterling had an article on why IU fans still watch even though they are miserable  watching the games.  Most of the comments from IU fans was that they don't watch any longer and won't until they make a change.

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me the best case scenario for both parties would be for Archie to find another job.  If he gets another job and IU can tell the other school that they don't have to pay the buyout in Archie's contract.  That way the money we save in not having to buyout Archie can go towards a new coach.

Do you really think Archie feels that way?  A competitive person. The coach of one of the best programs in hoops.  A very coveted job.  Do you think he’s actively looking to get out?  

I personally don’t.  While I realize he hasn’t won much here, I think he wants to win here.     

45 minutes ago, Feathery said:

I just chalk it up a one of the many rumors. Rumor on another board is that the staff were selling transfers as a way to be better next season to Dolson. So that is contradictory to what I later above. Moral of the story, no normal fan is going to know and honestly Dolson might not know yet either. Archie goes on some magical run and wins the BTT, then he isn’t getting fired. 

Well then I am hopeful you aren’t normal 

1 minute ago, Bustout said:

Do you really think Archie feels that way?  A competitive person. The coach of one of the best programs in hoops.  A very coveted job.  Do you think he’s actively looking to get out?  

I personally don’t.  While I realize he hasn’t won much here, I think he wants to win here.     

I would think he would rather go this route and get fired

Archived