It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure I began posting on the old Scout site during the Crean coaching search. 

That's 13 years I've been posting on some version of HSN. IU has made the tournament 4 times. 

IU is basically Clemson, Nebraska or Wake Forest at this point. 

Even leading up to this game I thought there was a scenario where Archie could come back. I thought it was almost even likely. 

After that, I don't see how you can bring him back. The fans were not only booing Archie but they were booing the players too. Imagine losing a game in November next year with a filled Assembly Hall if Archie is back. 

Any poor performance will unfortunately be met with that, only worse. 

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Even leading up to this game I thought there was a scenario where Archie could come back. I thought it was almost even likely. 

After that, I don't see how you can bring him back. The fans were not only booing Archie but they were booing the players too. Imagine losing a game in November next year with a filled Assembly Hall if Archie is back. 

November?  I told my wife he might get booed at Hoosier Hysteria if they bring him back. 

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agreed....and that scenario wouldn't be fair to the players. After tonight, I see zero chance Archie is back next season. 

7 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

That was sad to hear the team being booed at the end of the game after missing free throws.  But it's painfully clear between recruiting, developing, and motivating, Archie just can't get the job done. There's no way Dolson could be tone deaf enough to let this continue. 

Agree, you could see it on robs face after one of his misses and hearing the boos in the background.  I felt so bad for him.  Good kids, I wish it all could have worked out better for them.   

The university has every incentive to bring him back, but I honestly don’t know how they can... 

Started his tenure off by getting the doors blown off by Indiana State and IPFW in Assembly Hall.  Finishing his tenure off with losses to rival Purdue and former laughingstock of the conference Rutgers, to cap off a 7 game losing streak against Purdue, 4 game losing streak against Rutgers, and 6 game losing streak on the season.  Finished the season on a 10 minute field goal drought, and got booed off the floor in Indy in the first game in front of fans in an entire year.  Not even sniffing the tournament when the entire thing is being played in Indiana, including Assembly Hall.

Worst case scenario doesn’t even begin to describe it, really.  Absolutely disgusting.

29 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Assembly Hall won't be filled if he's back.

5 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Assembly Hall won't be filled if he's back.

That is the correct response.  Don't go and boo, just don't show up.

I do feel bad for the guy though, this is a tough business and things have not worked out.  Luckily he has several million dollars in earnings to soften the blow.

35 minutes ago, BGleas said:

At least AH would only be 1/3 full, so that would keep the booing down a bit

Pretty depressing season.

I've long been vocal for his return, but I would tend to agree that next year could be really, really ugly if he returns. I understand I'm in the minority, but I still believe that he could turn it around here and consider me far less then optimistic about the next hire.  Regardless, I think that Dolson's hand is effectively going to be forced to make this move, even if he doesn't want to. I think if we had won tonight, or against Purdue, or really any one or two of the last 6 games that this would be a different story, but this honestly feels worse than the end of the Crean era. The losing streak, the boos, the Big Ten record are all important, but it's not just that-its the way we've been losing that really kills you.

The only question now really seems to be when, not if, he will be fired.

Archived