It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

9 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

Sorry but I think you are wrong here.  When an entire coaching staff is pressuring you to play while injured that’s a problem.  Being told you need to man up when you are being told to play with broken bones or severe injuries is not right.  If the coaches where not pressuring medical staff to sign off players who were not ready to play this would never have been an issue.  They absolutely needed to step in and do something.  Plenty of adults are put in bad situations by their leaders who are supposed to be looking out for their best interests and at not.  Something needed to be done to fix it.  It just didn’t need to be something that completely shifted the narrative in the players favor.

I'm not disagreeing with the point you made. But the post of mine you responded to, I didn't say anything about playing through broken bones or injuries.  

I'm talking about mental fortitude.  You're tired, you're legs are sore, push through it kinda thing. 

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Right there is one of the problems with IU and the fans. It always comes back to getting the next RMK and trying to compare every coach to him.  There will never be another RMK since he was one of the all time great coaches so to expect others to be him is not fair.  Also if the fans seriously think the way you do about coaches who stays at their current job just tells me how far this fan base has slipped.  I use to think this fan base was the smartest in college basketball but we are now just like all the others.

We need a coach who is willing to tell his boss to kiss his own ass in a respectable way, and say I'm doing it my way. I get the impression ever since RMK, this program has been micromanaged from the top down by chodes who dont know anything. 

So I think what @NotIThatLivesis saying is🖕you to the knownothings. 

10 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

We need a coach who is willing to tell his boss to kiss his own ass in a respectable way, and say I'm doing it my way. I get the impression ever since RMK, this program has been micromanaged from the top down by chodes who dont know anything. 

So I think what @NotIThatLivesis saying is🖕you to the knownothings. 

By who though? IUBB Boosters? The athletic department as a whole has never been better. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Right there is one of the problems with IU and the fans. It always comes back to getting the next RMK and trying to compare every coach to him.  There will never be another RMK since he was one of the all time great coaches so to expect others to be him is not fair.  Also if the fans seriously think the way you do about coaches who stays at their current job just tells me how far this fan base has slipped.  I use to think this fan base was the smartest in college basketball but we are now just like all the others.

Not only just like all the others, case could be made that we're worse than most with this sh!t. Time for a lot of fans to take a look inward. It's nice to see how many here recognize that.

I know some don't care about what Leary had to say.  On the post game show he said he was at a lot of practices last year and saw a lot of flaws in the players shooting form.  He said there weren't coaches who was trying to work with the players  trying to fix those flaws.  Leary said at the end of the year he wrote a letter to Archie to discuss these problems but never heard back.  Leary says the same thing he saw last year is still the problem this year.

They also had Colin Hartman on the show and they discuss the lack of player development. Colin said that he wanted to become a better shooter after his freshman year and coach Buckley worked with him all off season.  That season he went from not hitting one 3 his freshman year to being one of the leading 3 point percentage player in the conference.

Leary asked Colin how many games did he watch from start to finish and Colin said zero.  Colin said he could not watch all the game because of how inconsistent they played and the effort level.  Both of them said that many of the former players are saying the same thing.

Lastly Leary said in practice that Archie is a control freak and won't delegate much to his assistants.  He said he is involved in every aspect of the practice and that really isn't good for the team 

3 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

By who though? IUBB Boosters? The athletic department as a whole has never been better. 

I really dont know for sure. My guess is the President on down. All I know is true winners dont give in. And when you sign a contract both sides agree to the terms. I'm guessing the IU basketball coaches since Knight are taking the money and signing the line and bending over. 

3 minutes ago, Go__Hoosiers said:

When should we expect to hear something on Archie? Could it come as soon as tomorrow? If I recall correctly, word on Tom Crean’s firing took longer than I thought it should have (maybe 5 days - but my memory is shit). Anyhow, what’s the typical timeline here?

Crean got fired at noon on the first day of the tournament.  Also have to remember we played in the NIT two days before that so it really didn't take that long.

Conference record and finishes at IU:

Archie Miller: 33-43

(2) 10th place, (1) 9th, (1) 6th

Mike Davis: 55-41

(1) 9th, (1) 6th, (3) 4th, (1) 1st

We have gone the wrong way since Bob Knight, obviously.  But Mike Davis was considerably better than what we are now.  Davis also has a championship game and B1G title game appearances.  

My point is not bringing back Davis as much as it highlights the long period of mediocrity and how we continue to lower the acceptable standards.  

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Most of the smart ones are getting old...the young ones only know NBA Jams....

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Well each timeout is 2.30 minutes plus the 30 seconds that was played on the court.  To me a 19 year old athlete who should be in great shape should be ready to go back in after 5 minutes.  Some of those  terrible athletes of the 80's and 90's played 37+ minutes a game and even played the whole 40 minutes

Oh i get it, but you always reference the 80's and 90's. Whether its the offense, or players. This isn't just an IU thing, which you already know... those days are gone and passed,  regardless who is coaching

7 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

I was actually just going to be a p***y myself and comment how utterly lame some people are on social media replying to players, mostly about how they'll have a new coach etc. Everyone needs a little perspective. We're all disappointed, I'm sure the team more than anyone. I really cannot believe you would troll players and make negative comments. Grow up. 

I hate Twitter.

9 hours ago, Sea Turtle said:

I don't care about Karen. Ever here the Knight stories?

Compliance stops the other two. That and not having to do that at Indiana.

You would still trade Caliparis results with ours since he was hired.

I would not want Calipari's results if it meant having Calipari.  

7 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Are you really trying to knock Calipari's performance since the time we could have had him?

The fact of the matter is that, if we had hired Calipari back then, I would have stopped being an IU fan.  And, no amount of success would have drawn me back.  I'm not selling out for success.  Basketball just isn't that important.  

13 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The fact of the matter is that, if we had hired Calipari back then, I would have stopped being an IU fan.  And, no amount of success would have drawn me back.  I'm not selling out for success.  Basketball just isn't that important.  

giphy.gif

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I know some don't care about what Leary had to say.  On the post game show he said he was at a lot of practices last year and saw a lot of flaws in the players shooting form.  He said there weren't coaches who was trying to work with the players  trying to fix those flaws.  Leary said at the end of the year he wrote a letter to Archie to discuss these problems but never heard back.  Leary says the same thing he saw last year is still the problem this year.

They also had Colin Hartman on the show and they discuss the lack of player development. Colin said that he wanted to become a better shooter after his freshman year and coach Buckley worked with him all off season.  That season he went from not hitting one 3 his freshman year to being one of the leading 3 point percentage player in the conference.

Leary asked Colin how many games did he watch from start to finish and Colin said zero.  Colin said he could not watch all the game because of how inconsistent they played and the effort level.  Both of them said that many of the former players are saying the same thing.

Lastly Leary said in practice that Archie is a control freak and won't delegate much to his assistants.  He said he is involved in every aspect of the practice and that really isn't good for the team 

I know people complain but those are the same things DD said he saw in year 1, 2, and 3 when he was at practices or pre games whenever he was doing a game at IU. This is multiple people that have said this now and it explains why these issues are still a problem under CAM. 

I don’t have a tweeter acc. Hell I mess up on here enough! I don’t get booing a home team are coach. We are all frustrated, and mad but you know think Rutgers laughed at hey they booed there own team! That embarrassing. You embarrassed the players even if it was meant for Archie. 
I am done until I hear something from IU athletic department. 

Archie reminds me of that woman you dated in your early 20s. You both thought it was a great match, and that it could be a good long term fit, but one or both of you realized it just wasn't the right timing or whatever. Maybe one of you wanted kids before 30 and the other wanted to wait, or you wanted to live in different parts of the country, or you wanted a team that could shoot FTs and the other didn't. I feel like we both know at this point that this just isn't working. 

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Wanting to win and wanting the most competitive guy is the fans of this program's problem? 

You don't want a coach that hates to lose?  That should be priority criteria #1

9 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Conditioning and dealing with injuries is part of the game, or it used to be.  

I really dont know what is going on.  Do we live in a wimpy world where even the tiniest injury put you on the bench.

I only played sports to my SR at the high school level but I played through pain and sprains and broken bones because I wanted to play and win. 

Kids are doing that ie Race and Armaan. Problem is at this level if you aren’t 100% then you are hurting the team on the court because you can’t defend and shoot and move the way you should. Heck we aren’t even good enough when healthy let alone with injuries.

Archived