It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

15 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

So what’s going on in this thread? Haven’t even looked in 36 hours I don’t think.

I assume IU lost? Was it bad?

Any rumors about coaches or Archie? 

Someone give me the bullet point update please.

Brad Stevens will be the next coach

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thread grew 3 pages since I last checked it about 4 hours ago.  Let's see, that would be about 18 pages per day.  Let's say the Celtics are eliminated from the NBA playoffs around May 20th.  I'm going to need a calculator to cipher that amount of growth.  :coffee:

2 hours ago, John S said:

Why is it that so many seem to think BS is far and away the only answer?  I love the guy, for sure.  But there’s got to be other coaches out there capable of elevating the mess at IU within two years.  I think concentrating only on BS would be a mistake.  IMO the admin doesnt need to offer huge $$$ or terms.  There are a limited number of schools with the legacy as IU.   And,  attracting a proven good coach isnt impossible at a reasonable price.  

Because his time working with Boston and NBA talent gives him instant credibility with recruits. He has always been a class A tactician and think his time in the nba having to game plan and adjust only helps that. The main thing is he has always been able to bring kids together and get them to buy in and coach them up...now he will be able to be like Mark Few and will be able to recruit top talent because of his nba pedigree. Combine that with Indiana roots he just fits. That said I wouldn’t be sad at all if we hire Scott Drew...be a nice fall back.

I have probably been thinking more than a healthy amount about Stevens lately.  It seems any chance of him coaching here has nothing to do with any firing by the Celtics.  Other NBA teams would be all over him.  It’s only if he WANTS to coach IU.  Maybe he does...if I was worth a dam it would be my dream job.  If he wants to coach IU he wouldn’t wait to be fired.  Make it happen Dolsen.  Brad Stevens will be the IU hoops coach!

20 minutes ago, NVFalcons12 said:

Matta led the Ohio State Buckeyes to five Big Ten Conference regular season championships, four Big Ten Tournament titles (2007, 2010, 2011 and 2013), two Final Four appearances (2007 and 2012), and the 2008 NIT Championship. He is the winningest coach in Ohio State history.[1]

3x Big Ten Coach of the year

439-154 (.740 winning percentage)

And is out of coaching because of health conditions and not been linked to a single D1 coaching position since he left. That means he ain’t interested in coaching right now. Probably doesn’t even still have an agent. If his name doesn’t come up in other coaching searches past few years means it won’t now.

3 minutes ago, Threedom said:

I have probably been thinking more than a healthy amount about Stevens lately.  It seems any chance of him coaching here has nothing to do with any firing by the Celtics.  Other NBA teams would be all over him.  It’s only if he WANTS to coach IU.  Maybe he does...if I was worth a dam it would be my dream job.  If he wants to coach IU he wouldn’t wait to be fired.  Make it happen Dolsen.  Brad Stevens will be the IU hoops coach!

You should send him a text stating 'I've been thinking about you a lot lately.  A whole lot.'  :coffee:

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

And is out of coaching because of health conditions and not been linked to a single D1 coaching position since he left. That means he ain’t interested in coaching right now. Probably doesn’t even still have an agent. If his name doesn’t come up in other coaching searches past few years means it won’t now.

Yes he has

Report: Penn State reached out to Thad Matta about head coaching position (247sports.com)

Ohio State basketball: Thad Matta might get back into coaching (scarletandgame.com)

I also think he turned down Georgia

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Funny, was just reading an article that stated he was in the running for the Alabama job, and then an article by Seth Davis in Nov 2020 that also said Wichita State was considering him.

Also, read his last back surgery (his 4th before the age of 50) was a success.  He is only 53 years old and has been out 3 years getting healthy and following his girls at Butler.

Hard to beat a .740 winning percentage, 5 Big Ten Regular Season Titles, 4 Big Ten Tourney Championships, 2 Final Fours and multiple Elite 8's and sweet 16 appearances.

16 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Thread grew 3 pages since I last checked it about 4 hours ago.  Let's see, that would be about 18 pages per day.  Let's say the Celtics are eliminated from the NBA playoffs around May 20th.  I'm going to need a calculator to cipher that amount of growth.  :coffee:

Okay Jethro, ciphering. You must have done graduated 6th grade. 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It didn’t get much steam...meaning he wasn’t even remotely interested. You don’t think UCLA or UCONN or another major program past few years with openings wouldn’t have gotten into serious discussions if he was open to it. Just because he comes up in a one sentence blurb doesn’t mean he was a serious candidate. Nothing to me says he was considering offers.

2 minutes ago, NVFalcons12 said:

Funny, was just reading an article that stated he was in the running for the Alabama job, and then an article by Seth Davis in Nov 2020 that also said Wichita State was considering him.

Also, read his last back surgery (his 4th before the age of 50) was a success.  He is only 53 years old and has been out 3 years getting healthy and following his girls at Butler.

Hard to beat a .740 winning percentage, 5 Big Ten Regular Season Titles, 4 Big Ten Tourney Championships, 2 Final Fours and multiple Elite 8's and sweet 16 appearances.

I’m sure lots of teams would consider him...but there has been no momentum in the last 4 years. Maybe he will be interested this year...but that hasn’t been the case in the past.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

It didn’t get much steam...meaning he wasn’t even remotely interested. You don’t think UCLA or UCONN or another major program past few years with openings wouldn’t have gotten into serious discussions if he was open to it. Just because he comes up in a one sentence blurb doesn’t mean he was a serious candidate. Nothing to me says he was considering offers.

Indiana is where he spends a lot of his time!  Especially out recruiting us in the Indy area (see Greg Oden)

6 minutes ago, NVFalcons12 said:

Saw that too regarding Georgia

Thad Matta on spurning Georgia: "It was the most difficult decision because Georgia is a tremendous opportunity for a coach to build a great program. Unfortunately, I just don’t feel that I am completely ready at this point to give Greg McGarity and Georgia what they deserve."

6 minutes ago, NVFalcons12 said:

Saw that too regarding Georgia

Not sure what “not interested in coaching and happy spending time with his family” means to you but it means exactly that to me. But hey...I want Stevens and that is probably just as long of a shot.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:
Thad Matta on spurning Georgia: "It was the most difficult decision because Georgia is a tremendous opportunity for a coach to build a great program. Unfortunately, I just don’t feel that I am completely ready at this point to give Greg McGarity and Georgia what they deserve."

That’s what a respectable former coach would say. PR talk

Archived