It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading comments about message board moderation is interesting.  If you want to see extreme examples, compare the Colts official board to NE patriots unofficial (patriotsplanet or something like that).  The pats board is no holds barred, but actually works for the most part.  The colts one is the biggest nanny policed board I've ever seen.  Half the threads and posts on here would be locked, citing "topic has already been discussed" or combined into a single confusing thread.  I rarely post there, but had a post censored (after a loss) because I used the word "idiotic", specifically criticizing " too many idiotic penalties".  Interestingly there's a poster called "gocolts8818” on there - I've long wondered if it's the same gocolts that used to post here (oldfriend?).

Scott mentioned that Gojko guy (however it's spelled) - that was from a really dark era/group (anyone remember the disgusting " ducati" dude?).

2 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Scott mentioned that Gojko guy (however it's spelled) - that was from a really dark era/group (anyone remember the disgusting " ducati" dude?)

Remember them well...crossed swords with them many times...

It was pretty funny...

14 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Reading comments about message board moderation is interesting.  If you want to see extreme examples, compare the Colts official board to NE patriots unofficial (patriotsplanet or something like that).  The pats board is no holds barred, but actually works for the most part.  The colts one is the biggest nanny policed board I've ever seen.  Half the threads and posts on here would be locked, citing "topic has already been discussed" or combined into a single confusing thread.  I rarely post there, but had a post censored (after a loss) because I used the word "idiotic", specifically criticizing " too many idiotic penalties".  Interestingly there's a poster called "gocolts8818” on there - I've long wondered if it's the same gocolts that used to post here (oldfriend?).

Scott mentioned that Gojko guy (however it's spelled) - that was from a really dark era/group (anyone remember the disgusting " ducati" dude?).

I can only imagine what pro sport boards are like. IU is the only board I'm on or participate in. I ventured into a Bears board about 10 years ago. Scary, scary stuff. My brain lasted about 30 seconds.

2 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

We need someone to volunteer for daily updates for those of us who can't read all 100 pages.

To sum up, the conversations are all still the same as they have been for weeks.  Only difference is the games (for IU men) are over.

Will anyone be surprised if this happens?  Sometime in the next week Dolson issues a generic "Archie is our coach" statement.  Then once the Celtics season is over he makes a major push for Brad.  If we can't get him we give Archie another year before lowering the axe next April and hiring Fife or Alford.

I'm just getting the it's Stevens or an IU guy vibe now.  The IU guys will all be there next year and we won't have to worry about Archie's buyout.  This also seems like perfect timing of there ever was any to target Stevens. 

4 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I think our administration will, without question, kick the tires on potential candidates.  I'm not sure they will get all the mechanics lined up to actually make a move, in which case I would support Archie being back.  I don't want to make a move for the sake of making a move.  

So we just keep Archie for the sake of keeping Archie and suck another year. Start the year in Turmoil and have boos raining down at the hall when we miss free throws and don't know how to create a good angle for a proper entry pass to the post. Makes absolutely no sense to keep Archie none. We know what he is. It would be better to have an interim rather than keep Archie. If you Keep Archie another year you may as well keep him for ten more.

On Keeping Archie. Some say we can't afford to get rid of him? Like it or not college basketball is a huge business. As an admin of IU you are in the business of winning and losing. You win and the money and support will be there two fold. You lose and all the money and support dissolve. I say we can't afford to keep Archie.  

All hypothetical:

Let’s say IU doesn’t fire Archie and IU loses 3+ players. Those players being Lander (just because his name mentioned on the board), TJD, Durham, and 1 more transfer. IU would have 2-3 more scholarships correct? 

Archie then goes and gets 2-3 solid transfers, but not TJD like talent. Could IU potentially be worse next year and even on the bottom in the Big Ten again or possibly be last? Teams like Penn State, Minnesota and Nebraska will get better next year. Especially if they get new coaches. Even if they aren’t good they will play hard for that coach that first year. (I see that more often then not.) 

I feel like next year has potential with Archie to be a “tank” season with a ceiling of just sneaking in the tourney. With a floor that could be bottom dweller in the Big Ten. I’m not trying to be negative by any regards saying this but... Almost feels like the most likely outcome if Archie is back. 

If the choices are a lost year with Archie or hiring the wrong coach now, I'll take the former every time. Yes another down recruiting cycle this year will hurt, and the possibility that he will do just enough to save his job but not satisfy the masses is not ideal, but hiring the wrong guy just for the sake of change will set the whole program back 5+ years.

That having been said, if we did kick the tires on Drew, Beard, Stevens, etc., and they all definitively say no, it's not clear to me that the pool will be better next year. In which case you might seriously consider whether Fife could be the man. Izzo, Painter, etc. we're all elevated from a similar position. Not advocating for that, but not as diametrically opposed as some, even though I agree that the general argument of needing an "IU guy" is silly.

I feel like Dolson will more than likely fire Archie. I also believe some have unrealistic expectations on how these things work and expected Dolson to fire CAM 5 minutes after the BTT loss. Others are involved in the decision and it will probably take a little time for IU to get their ducks in a row. I'm sure Dolson had feelers out for some time and has some idea who is or isn't interested in the job. Whoever the replacement would be is still coaching anyway, so I'm sure IU administration doesn't feel a huge rush to make an announcement or fire CAM. @Billingsley99 even stated he heard possibly Sunday evening for an announcement, which would make sense with the news getting buried with the selection show. I wouldn't be shocked if this drug into early next week. I would encourage some to relax a little and let the process play out.

*now that I said all that watch something leak out in the next hour

30 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Will anyone be surprised if this happens?  Sometime in the next week Dolson issues a generic "Archie is our coach" statement.  Then once the Celtics season is over he makes a major push for Brad.  If we can't get him we give Archie another year before lowering the axe next April and hiring Fife or Alford.

I'm just getting the it's Stevens or an IU guy vibe now.  The IU guys will all be there next year and we won't have to worry about Archie's buyout.  This also seems like perfect timing of there ever was any to target Stevens. 

What if UK, KU, UNC & Duke all are searching for a coach at the same time as IU?  All those schools don't seem to fit the IU tight wad approach and would be more attractive to Stevens.

1 hour ago, IUProfessor said:

So for someone who doesn't want to read through the 10+ pages over the last 18 hours or so, are there any substantive updates?

I know it is kind of a pain to do, but click on the 3 lines in the top right corner, go to browse, then click on leaderboard, and change the drop down menu from month to day. Then a little ways down that page, it shows the most liked content from today.

Any coaching news will probably show up in one of those popular posts. Can save people some time instead of wading through a couple hundred posts.

28 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

So we just keep Archie for the sake of keeping Archie and suck another year. Start the year in Turmoil and have boos raining down at the hall when we miss free throws and don't know how to create a good angle for a proper entry pass to the post. Makes absolutely no sense to keep Archie none. We know what he is. It would be better to have an interim rather than keep Archie. If you Keep Archie another year you may as well keep him for ten more.

How do you get that from my post?  That's not even close to what I said.

12 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

How do you get that from my post?  That's not even close to what I said.

My point is, its not best to bring him back and there is no scenario to support bringing him just for the sake of bringing him back. Your point is IU would be making a move just to make a move. They are making a move because Archie is not right for the job period. So back to my point. Why bring him back? 

22 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

My point is, its not best to bring him back and there is no scenario to support bringing him just for the sake of bringing him back. Your point is IU would be making a move just to make a move. They are making a move because Archie is not right for the job period. So back to my point. Why bring him back? 

Because a bad hire sets us back a heck of a lot more than waiting on more year to make a good hire. 

54 minutes ago, BDB said:

What if UK, KU, UNC & Duke all are searching for a coach at the same time as IU?  All those schools don't seem to fit the IU tight wad approach and would be more attractive to Stevens.

Yeah I'm sure Dolson is really scared that they might steal Fife or Alford from us.

16 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Because a bad hire sets us back a heck of a lot more than waiting on more year to make a good hire. 

nobody wants a bad hire.  but, thats not a certainty.  If Arch comes back, its a certainty we see more of the same, and fanbase is furious and shrinking.

Archived