It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

Just now, dbmhoosier said:

I'm about to fire up the DeLorean and jet ahead about 6 months.  I'll come back in a little bit and let you know what our roster looks like for next season.  

While you are at it see who wins every game in the tournament so we all can pick the perfect bracket.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, IUFLA said:

Good question...right now with what could come back we have 3 open schollys. If Trayce goes but Joey comes back, still at 3. 

I don't know how it is now, but it use to be you could practice all the way up to the end of the NCAA tournament, even if you were done with actual game play for the year...be interesting to know if that's still the case and if we were still practicing...

I would hope with the players going through this tough year they would give them a break and let them go home.

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Has there ever been a case of a school firing their coach in March and hiring an interim coach for a year? Has that ever happened? 

The Yankees of the 70s had numerous interims between Billy Martin hires/firings...

😁

Just now, Shapopojoe said:

FFS...message boards are going to cause me to stroke out....post on Btown Banners “Archie is the best x an o coach since Bob Knight”....I guess it’s bad to wish covid on someone but for the love of Pete, seriously!?

He seems to have some good plays coming out of timeouts or out of bounds plays.

Has there ever been a case of a school firing their coach in March and hiring an interim coach for a year? Has that ever happened? 

Who cares about other schools. Get rid of Archie and if we don't get our guy then we hold on the job interviews and performances until we find our guy. Let be the trend setter. What we have done for the last 21 years sure is hell isn't working. 

18 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And I'm ok with that...

Just a general statement that goes with what I've said all along...

Winning BIG cures all Archie's issues...

Fixed it for you again.  Winning 20 games isn't going to silence the crowd.  He needs to win big next year.  Like 25-5, 27-3 type of thing.  Average isn't going to cut it

Just now, jojo123 said:

Who cares about other schools. Get rid of Archie and if we don't get our guy then we hold on the job interviews and performances until we find our guy. Let be the trend setter. What we have done for the last 21 years sure is hell isn't working. 

You do realize that you wouldn't have any players because you couldn't recruit that way

1 minute ago, jojo123 said:

I guess its more likely to happen than Stevens coming, but not much more likely. 

28 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Until he starts winning...

Only way he wins is IF TJD returns, adds a couple a quality transfers AND the top players from the teams already better than IU leave. Iowa, OSU, Michigan, Illinois, etc can all run it back because this year doesn’t count for eligibility. Wisconsin can literally have a starting 5 of 24/25 year old players, lol. 

3 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Fixed it for you again.  Winning 20 games isn't going to silence the crowd.  He needs to win big next year.  Like 25-5, 27-3 type of thing.  Average isn't going to cut it

And I've said many times, if we're at .500 or below next year in the B1G, he should be shown the door...

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Maybe that is your opinion but in my opinion the candidates would be the same.  You can't say an opinion is false but your opinon is correct

i guess it depends on several factors.  What year most of the targeted coaches are in their contracts.  How many other big schools will be looking for coaches (Kansas, Duke, UK etc...).  What we have on the roster next year vs. the year after.

There are quite a few factors that could lend coach A being available with buyout this year vs next year.  All things are fluid so you really don't know.  I wouldn't say they are exactly the same, that is a bit to narrowly focused but it could be a similar landscape if all factors stay the same, and we know they won't.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't think RMK every went through a year with a pandemic which was what I was talking about

Being there are still a lot of restrictions on campus, it might be good for them...practice without the pressure of game prep...

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And I've said many times, if we're at .500 or below next year in the B1G, he should be shown the door...

What do you do if we barely squeak into the NCAAs next year. Extend him? If not, recruiting gets to be hard because kids see the potential of him being let go. 

Were those firings at the end of the season or in the Sunmer/Fall before the start of the season?

Tressel “resigned” in May 2011 after spring football. Fickell was the interim for a full 2011 season. Urban Meyer was hired at the conclusion of the season. 

Just now, Feathery said:

Tressel “resigned” in May 2011 after spring football. Fickell was the interim for a full 2011 season. Urban Meyer was hired at the conclusion of the season. 

Right, so not the same thing. Tressel resigned under unique circumstances after the college football hiring season. 

I've never heard of a coach getting fired right after the season and then the school basically sitting out the hiring season for a year.

6 minutes ago, 8Bucks said:

What do you do if we barely squeak into the NCAAs next year. Extend him? If not, recruiting gets to be hard because kids see the potential of him being let go. 

In that scenario if you do decide to keep him, you extend him but keep the buyout low...

But depending on how the season shook out ( say squeak in, first round exit, and bad recruiting class) you can make the case for firing him.

Crean was only one year removed from a B1G championship when he got the axe...

Archived