It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

1 hour ago, IndyFife said:

Have you heard directly from him?  There is no such thing as zero chance.  That’s what I said.  And with his ties back to the state, there is something more than just a very small chance.  

Are you the type of guy that gets told no, and then drops his head and walks away?  Coffee is for closers.  Always be closing.

The way Alabama went and got Nick Saban is interesting.  There are some parallels to where IU is now.  Mike Shula/Archie.   It took 38 days between firing Shula and landing Saban from the pros.  

It took creativity and perseverance for Alabama to pull it off. Not everyone has the wherewithal to pull something like this off.  There’s nothing in IU’s history that says they’d do it.  But maybe now is the time to be bold and operate like a big boy in business dealings   This article lays down how Alabama did it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/38-days-inside-story-of-how-alabama-hired-nick-saban/amp/

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, WokeHoosier said:

I think they'll have an easier time accessing fan feelings next year than they did this year due to pandemic restrictions.  If attendance is down or boos are prevalent it will be clearer to them how the fanbase feels.

All they need to do is talk with alumni and former players to see how many of them has checked out on the team.  I have heard Leary and DD both say they have talked to a lot of former players who don't even watch or pay attention to the team this year.

On 3/7/2021 at 8:14 PM, Steubenhoosier said:

You guys want to quote the media to support your opinions that Archie needs to go, yet you want to ignore them when they pretty much all say that we were in the tournament last year had covid not happened 

yes we would have made it last year. but with a better team we go 12-15. 4th straight losing season in the B10. 2McDAA, 3 Indiana Mr.BB, a number of All-star team and All-state players and he blames the players every loss. How long is enough my friend? With that said I dont think Dolson will fire him. Unless major donors threaten to hold up donations which I dont see happening. Fans will just stop going. I remember going to a game during the Crean era and the hall wasnt even half full. Because of season ticket sales attendance was 13,000 plus, so they ate 3,000 plus tickets that night, do that over a full season and your dept. feels it.

I just don't think Archie knows how to win in the B10 and he recruits players that are soft. By the way I also think we need a new strength coach because we have way to many injuries every year.

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The way Alabama went and got Nick Saban is interesting.  There are some parallels to where IU is now.  Mike Shula/Archie.   It took 38 days between firing Shula and landing Saban from the pros.  

It took creativity and perseverance for Alabama to pull it off. Not everyone has the wherewithal to pull something like this off.  There’s nothing in IU’s history that says they’d do it.  But maybe now is the time to be bold and operate like a big boy in business dealings   This article lays down how Alabama did it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/38-days-inside-story-of-how-alabama-hired-nick-saban/amp/

I would agree in most aspects. However, Zach Thomas threatened to kill Nick Saban in Miami. Not near the feathery environment Stevens has in Boston. Saban would have taken a lot of jobs that year it just happens the Bama timing was perfect. 

I really think being an NBA allows Stevens a lot more time with his kids and family. That is important to him. Plus, he comes from some old school money and I think money always drives a lot of people, but him a bit less than others. Super level headed guy. 

Let's hope we call, he listens, and the magical road to true relevance starts soon. 

9 minutes ago, WokeHoosier said:

I think they'll have an easier time accessing fan feelings next year than they did this year due to pandemic restrictions.  If attendance is down or boos are prevalent it will be clearer to them how the fanbase feels.

FIRE Archie was the chant clearly heard at the BTT. They know how the fans feel.

54 minutes ago, Feathery said:

So you want to keep Archie out of fear of the unknown? All job searches have uncertainty. There is no guarantee the next president is a basketball fan either. From what is understood it appears money isn’t the issue and at least one coach at a top 10 team has back channeled to Dolson. This isn’t a situation where IU is going to be left at the alter. The easy decision is to make a change. Then the tough decision is picking the right guy. That tough decision there this year, next year, the year after. No reason to keep IU stuck with a subpar coach. 

I've actually not said at all that I want to keep Archie for fear of the unknown. I would actually expect most, if not all, of the things I've laid out as unknowns to us to be very known to Scott Dolson before he makes a decision. If they aren't, he has failed at his job. 

All I'm pointing out is that there are a lot of things we don't know and depending on the intel Dolson gets on those things it could make more sense to keep Archie than to get rid of him. You seem to be of the mind that we should move on from Archie no matter what, no matter who we can get, and I think that could really screw the program. We have to get our next hire right, but that next hire doesn't have to be this year. 

7 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Exactly.  Life teaches us one thing.  You make your own opportunities and then you still have to act to turn them into reality.  About the only truism in life.  Human nature is just that.  Find what makes them tick and be sincere in execution.  Period.

The Stevens family may very well prefer the NBA lifestyle in the abstract, but that doesn't mean that the opportunity to move closer to home and family wouldn't be a factor in their decision. Coming home may not outweigh their preference for the NBA, but it also might. Only they know.

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I've actually not said at all that I want to keep Archie for fear of the unknown. I would actually expect most, if not all, of the things I've laid out as unknowns to us to be very known to Scott Dolson before he makes a decision. If they aren't, he has failed at his job. 

All I'm pointing out is that there are a lot of things we don't know and depending on the intel Dolson gets on those things it could make more sense to keep Archie than to get rid of him. You seem to be of the mind that we should move on from Archie no matter what, no matter who we can get, and I think that could really screw the program. We have to get our next hire right, but that next hire doesn't have to be this year. 

I'm guessing he would have 2 or 3 guys that would say they would come if the job was open before you fire Archie.

1 minute ago, WokeHoosier said:

From a very small number of the most passionate fans, far too small of a sample size to assume it was indicative of the fanbase as a whole.

All he needs to do is go to every IU message board and social media outlets or talk to former players.  If he does that then he will no what the fan base thinks

One other thought: for those that fear that IU will hire a mediocre candidate if Archie gets fired, bringing him back for another losing season could actually help to push the program to make a more inspiring hire next year. There will be a new president, plus a full season of complaints, booing, etc., while unpleasant, could drive the point home to the decision makers that they need to make a big move.

1 minute ago, IUProfessor said:

One other thought: for those that fear that IU will hire a mediocre candidate if Archie gets fired, bringing him back for another losing season could actually help to push the program to make a more inspiring hire next year. There will be a new president, plus a full season of complaints, booing, etc., while unpleasant, could drive the point home to the decision makers that they need to make a big move.

If it takes them one more year to realize they need to make a big move after this year the they probably won't ever realize it.

35 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Coach K is not leaving Duke after 40 years there.

Bill self is not leaving KU since he is already at a blue blood program.

Mark few has had many chances to leave but will stay at Gonzaga forever

Izzo has been at MSU since 1991 so yu really think he will leave now

Boheim has been at Syracuse since 1976 and you think he would leave now

Calapari is not coming thank god

Toney Bennett is not leaving and has turned us down once and he has won a championship at UVA

Jay Wright is not leaving Villanova after winning 2 championships in 5 years

Those are the only coaches i call elite and we won't get any of those.

Instead of thinking with your emptions and think realistically you might be happier.

I have watched college basketball for 40+ years and after watching that long you can see how things works in these kinds of things.

And you know this how? This is your opinion and your opinion only. these coaches have not contacted IU Scott and told you this information. It could bare out to be true but at this point it is just an opinion and you know what they say about opinions. 

2 minutes ago, beaver56 said:

I would agree in most aspects. However, Zach Thomas threatened to kill Nick Saban in Miami. Not near the feathery environment Stevens has in Boston. Saban would have taken a lot of jobs that year it just happens the Bama timing was perfect. 

I really think being an NBA allows Stevens a lot more time with his kids and family. That is important to him. Plus, he comes from some old school money and I think money always drives a lot of people, but him a bit less than others. Super level headed guy. 

Let's hope we call, he listens, and the magical road to true relevance starts soon. 

I remember the Zach Thomas incident and that was pretty wild!! :) 

I still like the Alabama comparison though when it comes to Indiana. One thing I haven't mentioned is the timing seems to work out. Stevens has been the HC in Boston now for 8 years. I'm with @BGleas in his belief that the Celtics have no intention of moving on from Stevens yet although his chair is hot from a fan base perspective. The one thing we don't mention is that you can't make these arguments in a vacuum. Not many NBA coaches stay with the same team for a very long time without winning championships. Remember that Popovich won a title in his 2nd year. 

The bigger questions are the contract situations of guys like Giannis, Embiid, Simmons, Harden, Irving, Durant and even other teams like Indiana, Charlotte and Atlanta. The NBA is a star driven league. Jaylen Brown & Jason Tatum are legit NBA superstars but they aren't Simmons/Embiid, Harden/Durant/Irving or Giannis. Those guys get pushed SO HARD. @BGleas brings up Doc Rivers all the time but Rivers was only in Boston for 9 years. This is Stevens' 8th. If he doesn't win the title this year (very unlikely) and he doesn't win it next, he'll have been there for 9 years with no banners & no EC championships. Nobody remember Tom Heinsohn all that much when it comes to Boston coaches but he won 2 titles in 8.5 years. 

Chris Ford, Rick Pitino, ML Carr, Jimmy Rodgers & Jim O'Brien got MUCH SHORTER leashes than Stevens. The NBA is a star driven league and Stevens has separated himself into a Pat Riley, Red Auerbach, Phil Jackson, Greg Popovich type of guy. 

Everything that I've heard and the conversations I've had with some guys close to the situation is Stevens is having thoughts of legacy and that's why the door is open even if slightly. My take is that Stevens would listen, but like @BobSaccamanno mentioned, they'd have to be creative. I think Stevens would have to be sold on it, but I think it's possible and I think if you push the right buttons & make the right sales pitch, Stevens pulls the trigger. And don't think the shadow of RMK doesn't come into play here. Stevens is aware and he's not AT ALL intimidated by it.

26 minutes ago, WokeHoosier said:

We had 100 fans at bankers life field house and you could hear them loud and clear.

10 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

I received the email from the search firm about what I am looking for.  I told them point blank: I won’t donate one more dollar until they hire an IU person.  Not at Bball coach, but for President.  If we are as esteemed as we believe ourselves to be, there are many candidates from our own people.  We need somebody to be here who loves this university and this state.  Purdue is eating our lunch (painfully said as the father of a PU athlete).  The last three were absolute clowns who have done nothing for the advancement of OUR university.  They have great theoretical creds but really only cared about themselves.  They have no concept of symbiosis of a university campus between athletics, academics, campus life, and alumni.

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I could very well be wrong, but I don't remember any younger players speaking out about it. I remember a lot of older guys speak out saying no big deal, but unfortunately guys that old are out of eligibility. 

EDIT: And this wasn't even about what the players think, it was about what McRobbie and the BOT might think. 

i know i shouldn't go down this road, and i know you feel strongly against what i'm about to say, but... am i getting it wrong, or did he only say, "We stopped playing like thugs?"  i know i'm fighting a losing battle, but i struggle seeing why that is racist.  i'm now wincing and ducking my head.  

8 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

And you know this how? This is your opinion and your opinion only. these coaches have not contacted IU Scott and told you this information. It could bare out to be true but at this point it is just an opinion and you know what they say about opinions. 

I give up with you, I hope you are like 15 if not lord help us.  

3 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

We had 100 fans at bankers life field house and you could hear them loud and clear.

That's a tiny portion of the fanbase as a whole and a handful of fans could have been heard loud and clear in a virtually empty arena.  I'm not saying it isn't how the base as a whole feels but whether the AD realizes it is a different question. I suspect the people he spends time with aren't the rank and file fans so living in a bubble is a real possibility, empty stadiums in a non-pandemic environment would be harder to ignore.

59 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

I think your moniker should really be Purdue Scott. 

Just yesterday you were begging for Steve Alford to be the IU coach.  Then you called one of the long time board contributors a purdue troll or something close.  Now accusing @IU Scott with 10,405 posts on this board a purdue guy.  

It might be a good idea to educate yourself on the crowd and content before posting.  You are free and welcome to post here.  If your a purdue troll, just tell us.  We don't care and actually welcome those that are respectful.  

Your content is so erratic that you have led me to believe you are 100% the Purdue troll.  It's a weird thing for any adult to do.

2 minutes ago, WokeHoosier said:

That's a tiny portion of the fanbase as a whole and a handful of fans could have been heard loud and clear in a virtually empty arena.  I'm not saying it isn't how the base as a whole feels but whether the AD realizes it is a different question. I suspect the people he spends time with aren't the rank and file fans so living in a bubble is a real possibility, empty stadiums in a non-pandemic environment would be harder to ignore.

The thing I bet the big donors are not happy with the direction of the program and that s what matters.

2 hours ago, Feathery said:

We both agree Alford isn’t the answer. But Alford is a better coach. Go look at their track records objectively. Big Ten records comparison and Alford has a higher winning %. Mid-Major records are comparable but Archie didn’t breakout until the top teams in the A10 left the conference and opened the door for him. So if Alford isn’t the answer, which we both agree, then Archie isn’t either. 

Kob is in the crowd that thinks Alford is the devil.  he will battle you to the death on this one.  i've been down this road.  

Archived