It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i guess.  i thought about this a while back.  if we started our 5 highest ranked guys:  Lander, TJD, Hunter, Geronimo, and RP or Race... is that really a very talented group? 

12 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I mean that’s 4 guys in the top 100.  With two in the top 30. Yeah that’s a pretty decent group.  Definitely not world beaters but enough for a well coached team to make the tourney.  

I think you're both right. 

It's not enough talent that they can win lots of games, especially in the B1G and NCAAT, on talent alone.

It's also not completely devoid of talent. A good coach who has success developing players and having teams who are greater than the sum of their parts could do well with the talent already there. Probably not NC contender but could probably place much higher in the conference and be comfortably in the tournament.

So far at IU Miller hasn't shown to be that type of coach at the P5 level. A good or great coach could do better with the talent already there. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Who GAF.  A journalist who has never done anything other than write words for a living.  He has no idea what it means to be part of a team.  He has no idea what it means to be from a state that worships hoops.  He has no idea what it means to actually do anything substantive.  Never owned a business.  Never played a sport at any meaningful level.  Screw the journos.  They are generally just losers with a pen.

2 minutes ago, IndyFife said:

Who GAF.  A journalist who has never done anything other than write words for a living.  He has no idea what it means to be part of a team.  He has no idea what it means to be from a state that worships hoops.  He has no idea what it means to actually do anything substantive.  Never owned a business.  Never played a sport at any meaningful level.  Screw the journos.  They are generally just losers with a pen.

Well right or wrong or like it or not this is the perception of IU basketball outside the state of Indiana

15 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

If he is back buckle up... 😫

Yep.

Not long ago I was 75% thinking  he should go vs  25%  thinking he should get another year but......when I recap the 4 year results and say it out loud, and look at our recruiting class vs the competition (thank you Logan for committing, NOT a shot at you, but we need more than a one man class), it’s almost comical to think he should be around another year. You recap it out loud (record vs Rutgers, PU etc, continued poor 3 point and free throw shooting, 9,10,10 finishes etc) and the thought of going through this another year is ludicrous.

His only “chip” (it’s not improved play, recruiting class or positive program trajectory) is the 10,000,000 payout.

2 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Indiana basketball is just cursed. Underwood and Holtman playing for BTT title and Kelvin Sampson playing for AAC title. We need to throw a virgin goat in a volcano or something 

We taking a trip to a Purdur sorority house??? 🤔🤔

3 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Indiana basketball is just cursed. Underwood and Holtman playing for BTT title and Kelvin Sampson playing for AAC title. We need to throw a virgin goat in a volcano or something 

It kind of tells you that maybe it's Indiana, doesn't it? The school makes it impossible to win. 

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well right or wrong or like it or not this is the perception of IU basketball outside the state of Indiana

No it’s not.  It’s one opinion.  I travel the world for a living.  And I’m a business owner.  The three things people know are: Colts, Indy 500, and IU Bball.  Just my opinion - but based on experience - 

Edit from the mods: Welcome to the board IndyFife! A heads up that we have a no swearing policy. 

- BGleas

7 minutes ago, IndyFife said:

No it’s not.  It’s one opinion.  I travel the world for a living.  And I’m a business owner.  The three things people know are: Colts, Indy 500, and IU Bball.  Just my opinion - but based on experience.

I have heard plenty of nation guys say this about how our fans expectations are way to high since we haven't been relevant for 25 years.

Just now, IU Scott said:

I have heard plenty of nation guys say this about how our fans expectations are way to high since we haven't been relevant for 25 years.

And yet anytime IU hires a coach it’s a HUGE deal. Every time IU starts to look like they’re getting back every one starts talking about the return of IU as a National story. I get they’re not relevant but they are MUCH more of a sleeping giant than they are a has been that will not return.

Just now, BADGERVOL said:

And yet anytime IU hires a coach it’s a HUGE deal. Every time IU starts to look like they’re getting back every one starts talking about the return of IU as a National story. I get they’re not relevant but they are MUCH more of a sleeping giant than they are a has been that will not return.

Agreed. Full confidence in IU returning to weekends of basketball in March.

I hope to get to Assembly Hall next year for a game. But what I’m wistful for is those fabulous plastic cups the concession stand served drinks with back in my day (1985-89). The best!!

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You are quoting journos you have never met and who haven’t done (please watch the swearing - BGleas) in their life.  I’m quoting hundreds of people I meet every year - across the globe.  You are the type of guy who would have given up hope on Saban.  Bama hadn’t been relevant either.  Have some positivity about what we offer.  It’s rare and unique.  If you hate the place or don’t see how special it is, maybe seek some help.

2 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

I have watched 3 different national podcast in the last few weeks and this was a topic they discussed.

Just now, IndyFife said:

You are quoting journos you have never met and who haven’t done shit in their life.  I’m quoting hundreds of people I meet every year - across the globe.  You are the type of guy who would have given up hope on Saban.  Bama hadn’t been relevant either.  Have some positivity about what we offer.  It’s rare and unique.  If you hate the place or don’t see how special it is, maybe seek some help.

And those guys don't make their career following basketball either.  I never said I thought they were right but it is the perception

2 minutes ago, MrsStoller said:

Agreed. Full confidence in IU returning to weekends of basketball in March.

I hope to get to Assembly Hall next year for a game. But what I’m wistful for is those fabulous plastic cups the concession stand served drinks with back in my day (1985-89). The best!!

I’ve still got a stack of those 12 sided cups I drink from regularly: red, white and cream colored versions.

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

1 minute ago, IndyFife said:

No it’s not.  It’s one opinion.  I travel the world for a living.  And I’m a business owner.  The three things people know are: Colts, Indy 500, and IU Bball.  Just my opinion - but based on experience - and  I call bullshit.

Agree with @IndyFife 100% here. A few weeks ago I was talking to an AD of a non-Power 5 school out west and we talked about Indiana a bit as he knows I'm alumni and a big fan. He had an interesting take on it and since he knows I'm in behavior analysis and sports performance, he asked me why didn't IU's fanbase embrace "the villain" role more openly when it came to college basketball.  Basically said his perception was that Knight was a HUGE VILLAIN and that the IU fan base loved him. Players loved him & opposing fan bases hated him. Thought IU was a sleeping monster and that they should embrace being the EVIL EMPIRE of college basketball and go that route. 

Admittedly I've thought about this route a lot for Indiana, but it dovetails with the perception argument. The perception of Indiana outside of Indiana is that it's a huge deal. The perception is also that Indiana isn't liked very much except for Indiana fans. I've had more than a few sources comment to me about how much they think the media narrative just hates Indiana.

That said, I've had a couple of ADs tell me they simply can't understand what the admin is doing in Bloomington so there's that too. The perception of Indiana in my travels/talks/sources/profession think Indiana is a huge deal. They also can't quite understand why we can't figure it out.

1 minute ago, BADGERVOL said:

YES. 100%

We are hanging onto our blue blood status by the very end our fingernails but that still makes a difference nationally.

Our banners are “dusty”, no doubt, but we are still a national sleeping giant program.  In the next two years, as an example, if IU, PU and Illinois all went to the Elite 8 both years it would be a nice story for PU and Illinois but we would be getting “they are back” national stories, prime time ESPN time slots, Sunday CBS national games etc etc type attention. We are down (really down) but this can still change for the positive.

13 minutes ago, IndyFife said:

No it’s not.  It’s one opinion.  I travel the world for a living.  And I’m a business owner.  The three things people know are: Colts, Indy 500, and IU Bball.  Just my opinion - but based on experience - 

Edit from the mods: Welcome to the board IndyFife! A heads up that we have a no swearing policy. 

- BGleas

I’m from Indiana and have been around the block, not one person has ever asked me about the Colts. 

4 minutes ago, WanamakerIUFan said:

Agree with @IndyFife 100% here. A few weeks ago I was talking to an AD of a non-Power 5 school out west and we talked about Indiana a bit as he knows I'm alumni and a big fan. He had an interesting take on it and since he knows I'm in behavior analysis and sports performance, he asked me why didn't IU's fanbase embrace "the villain" role more openly when it came to college basketball.  Basically said his perception was that Knight was a HUGE VILLAIN and that the IU fan base loved him. Players loved him & opposing fan bases hated him. Thought IU was a sleeping monster and that they should embrace being the EVIL EMPIRE of college basketball and go that route. 

Admittedly I've thought about this route a lot for Indiana, but it dovetails with the perception argument. The perception of Indiana outside of Indiana is that it's a huge deal. The perception is also that Indiana isn't liked very much except for Indiana fans. I've had more than a few sources comment to me about how much they think the media narrative just hates Indiana.

That said, I've had a couple of ADs tell me they simply can't understand what the admin is doing in Bloomington so there's that too. The perception of Indiana in my travels/talks/sources/profession think Indiana is a huge deal. They also can't quite understand why we can't figure it out.

Intriguing thoughts...

2 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

In the next two years, as an example, if IU, PU and Illinois all went to the Elite 8 both years it would be a nice story for PU and Illinois but we would be getting “they are back” national stories, prime time ESPN time slots, Sunday CBS national games etc etc type attention. We are down (really down) but this can still change for the positive.

100% yes. Indiana shows life & we can't get enough "THEY ARE BACK STORIES!" Remember these? Indiana gets good and we see this pop up

Cody Zeller on Twitter | Sports illustrated, Sports, College basketball

Whose Kids Posed With Oladipo on Sports Illustrated Cover? - Indianapolis  Monthly | Victor oladipo, Sports illustrated covers, Hoosiers basketball

Indiana shows life & we can't stay off Sports Illustrated. Make no mistake. Indiana basketball is a huge deal.

4 minutes ago, WanamakerIUFan said:

Never said they didn't think it was a big deal or could get back to where we were.  Like I said I have watched 3 national college basketball podcast and it was all about Archie and his job status.  When it came to replacements they all said that IU fans can be delusional thinking they have a shot at the elite coaches in the country.  They almost laugh at the suggestion that some how IU can get brad Stevens.

27 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Haven't lived in Indiana in over 25 years.  Everywhere I go wearing my IU gear people ask me about IU basketball.   Not about IU academics, football, soccer or swimming.  Just about IU Basketball.  We may not have lived up to expectations but people out of state expect us to be title contenders outside of Indiana.

Go Hoosiers!!!

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Never said they didn't think it was a big deal or could get back to where we were.  Like I said I have watched 3 national college basketball podcast and it was all about Archie and his job status.  When it came to replacements they all said that IU fans can be delusional thinking they have a shot at the elite coaches in the country.  They almost laugh at the suggestion that some how IU can get brad Stevens.

They know how the IU admin is. 

Archived