It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Facts:

1.  Defense is supposed to be our forte.  We are ranked 11th in our conference in defensive efficiency this year.  That is supposed to be what we do well.

2.  You'll say the year is not over yet and COVID yada, yada...but we've never played in the NCAA tournament while Miller has been here.

3.  We have never finished over .500 in our conference since Miller has been here.  Going back to Crean, we are looking at 5 straight years of this.  The first time that has happened since we joined the Big Ten Conference.

4.  He has a worse winning percentage at the moment then Mike Davis had over his 6 year IU career.  (Mike got worse and Archie got "better" by winning games against mediocre competition outside the conference).  He is barely above Crean and Crean started out with 1 returning scholarship player and had guys from the baseball team on his first roster.

5.  Al Durham is the first 4 year IU player to never make the top 10 as part of the IU program.  He hasn't made the top 20 either.  All (not)  done under Miller.  Al Durham has had the worst team oriented career of any 4 year player at IU in the history of the program.  That coincides with the 4 years Miller was coach.

And your argument is to just give him another try so that hopefully all the stars perfectly align for him to have a chance to stumble into the tournament in year 5.  Why?  7 million dollars is a drop in the bucket when this all gets rolling again and that cost is probably going to be reduced when he gets another job.  We spent $26.5 million of AD money on an international studies building for Pete's sake.  $7 million is nothing in the grand scheme of things.  Particularly if the program gets running again.  People donate when that program is doing well.  We tried things your way when it was apparent Davis was not the answer.  We tried it again when it was apparent Crean was not the answer.  Let's go the cut throat route just this once and see what happens.  And by cut throat I mean cut the guy loose and make an offer to our guy that they cannot say no to.  No matter who that guy happens to be.

Yeah I just laugh when people say the buyout is too big.  Chump change to the big alumni donors.  If they care the buyout won’t be an issue at all.

3 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Yeah I just laugh when people say the buyout is too big.  Chump change to the big alumni donors.  If they care the buyout won’t be an issue at all.

Look, not trying to be mean here, but that's what everyone who wouldn't have to open THEIR wallet says...

Just now, IUwins0708 said:

That’s actually none of your business but I will be contributing along with another well known poster.  Sorry to disappoint you.....

You're not disappointing me at all...Don't know why you'd think you are...

It's just usually people who talk about large sums of money being thrown around are talking about other people's money...

Something I've kinda picked up on over the years...

Just now, IUFLA said:

You're not disappointing me at all...Don't know why you'd think you are...

It's just usually people who talk about large sums of money being thrown around are talking about other people's money...

Something I've kinda picked up on over the years...

It’s not always the case, and definitely not with me

29 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Also, I might be wrong but most buyouts are paid over X years.  And usually when a coach gets a new job his previous school only pays the difference.  I truly don’t know, does Archies contract state he will get a lump sum that won’t be offset by future earnings.  I think that’s rare, maybe never have I seen that.  I don’t think Archie will sit back and not coach for very long.

7 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

Also, I might be wrong but most buyouts are paid over X years.  And usually when a coach gets a new job his previous school only pays the difference.  I truly don’t know, does Archies contract state he will get a lump sum that won’t be offset by future earnings.  I think that’s rare, maybe never have I seen that.  I don’t think Archie will sit back and not coach for very long.

He gets a percentage of the buyout right away and then the rest is paid over years.  And yes the rest that is paid over the years is voided by any salary he may make is how it was said to me.  I’m not a lawyer so I don’t understand all their verbiage 

35 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

Most contracts say they have to actively search for similar employment after being fired, so sitting around not coaching wouldn't work.

I would never root for us to lose games and want whoever the coach is at IU to succeed because I enjoy watching us win, but we are in such a weird predicament where what if luckily sneaking into the tournament definitely buys Archie next year, only for it to be a huge disappointment? I definitely don’t think making the tournament this year means it automatically makes us good next year. I want Archie to be the guy because I want IU to win NOW, but these four years have not been exciting at all.
    Without wanting the players to fail, it’s almost like if you know Archie isn’t the guy, you figure the only way there’s a chance to get him out is if we don’t make the tournament. If you want him gone, makes it hard to figure out how you want this season to end knowing you don’t want to fail. It’s like saying you hope we lose to get him out without wanting to say you hope we lose, haha. 

Next season is supposed to be the first season in which players can earn money from NIL. It's important to get off to a strong start on that as it could help recruiting in the future. An apathetic fanbase could hurt the money players are able to make off of that. That could hurt recruiting just as much as much as poor play. Another reason to bring in a new coach after this season. I don't think Miller will be fired after this season, though.

12 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Next season is supposed to be the first season in which players can earn money from NIL. It's important to get off to a strong start on that as it could help recruiting in the future. An apathetic fanbase could hurt the money players are able to make off of that. That could hurt recruiting just as much as much as poor play. Another reason to bring in a new coach after this season. I don't think Miller will be fired after this season, though.

I think there’s more than enough justification to let him go if the administration is committed to winning. And just enough excuses to hide behind for them to do nothing and excuse their lack of doing anything if they’re not committed to winning.

Just my opinion and observation.

Therefore, I agree he’ll be back. And way worse than him being back is that I believe the real reason behind it is because we truly don’t demand to win. We hope to win.

Archived