It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I think everybody knows where I stand...I think Archie should get one more year...

In the article you cited, Sterling says what a few people on this board have been saying for a while...

"My advice to Dolson would be to get basketball moving forward as quickly as possible.  If the timing is right to hire the coach to steer the program out of this forever circling mediocrity, hit the throttle and damn the torpedos.  If that coach isn’t available, ride out Miller’s fifth year while giving him all the authority he needs to elicit disciplined execution from a roster that appears not too worried about consequences for noncompliance."

I don't expect Dolson to make any announcement on CAMs job before the end of the season...

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think everybody knows where I stand...I think Archie should get one more year...

In the article you cited, Sterling says what a few people on this board have been saying for a while...

"My advice to Dolson would be to get basketball moving forward as quickly as possible.  If the timing is right to hire the coach to steer the program out of this forever circling mediocrity, hit the throttle and damn the torpedos.  If that coach isn’t available, ride out Miller’s fifth year while giving him all the authority he needs to elicit disciplined execution from a roster that appears not too worried about consequences for noncompliance."

I don't expect Dolson to make any announcement on CAMs job before the end of the season...

I give you one thing you are like the captain of the Titanic because you will be going down with the sinking ship.  I can't believe even you thinks he deserves another year after seeing this non sense for the last 4 years.

5 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Hate to tell you but players going to twitter is going to explode with the new rules and players able to make money off of it.

Yeah, but if that is being done as a business type of thing, they should be filtering those Tweets through someone at the school IMO.

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I get that. I keep getting hopes up to be let down.  Many years ago I coached a kid that had never met his father. In high school his dad wanted them to meet and the player asked me to go with him and 4 times this kid got his hopes up only for Dad to cancel and each time the change from high to low became more prominent.  Finally I stepped in found Dad and told him to do it now or just walk away it's not fair. I know one is real life and the other is a game to a fan. With each passing day I find my hopes getting higher and let down lower. 

Just wanted to say that's a really good thing you did, appreciate you sharing that. 

I think the point about the lack of great replacement options is key here. Matta, Pitino, Donovan, Beilein, etc., aren't coming for various reasons. I like Nate Oats more than most, but he's a safer hire a year from now once you see how he does in his third season at Alabama.

The other factor, rightly or wrongly, is COVID. I have no doubts IU would have won at least a couple of the home games it lost with any sort of crowd support. 

None of that is meant to serve as a full-throated defense of Archie's record to date. But I don't think it would be entirely unreasonable to give him a fifth year in light of COVID, the buyout, etc., if you don't think a great replacement is out there.

Indeed, moving forward until the summer with Archie would give Dolson time to thoroughly kick the tires on Brad Stevens. If it becomes utterly apparent that Stevens won't come, then you can begin to move on to other possibilities. But if you terminate Archie now, then the timing won't allow you to wait until Stevens might leave the Celtics in May or June. The pressure will be too great to make a hire sooner. Unless there is another candidate out there who is a clear upgrade, that would be a mistake IMO.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I always said I give coaches 4 years and there is 3 games left in the 4th year.  I have seen enough to know that Archie is not going to win here and doesn't fit.

Again, we'll see...I would wager that you haven't been right in every prognostication you've ever made...

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I would like to know your thoughts on last nights game, has it changed anything for you? I mean, I think you and I were somewhat close in our thoughts but last night was REALLY bad. 

19 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

The other factor, rightly or wrongly, is COVID. I have no doubts IU would have won at least a couple of the home games it lost with any sort of crowd support. 

Good point here - there is certainly an advantage to playing to full houses at AH, especially for a younger team. 

27 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I would like to know your thoughts on last nights game, has it changed anything for you? I mean, I think you and I were somewhat close in our thoughts but last night was REALLY bad. 

The first 10 minutes, sans the 2 turnovers right at the start for Rob, were some of the best basketball I've seen IU play this year. 

I'll just say this...It was Rutgers' Senior Night...6 out of their top 7 in their rotation are upper classmen, Including Geo Baker (Sr) and Jacob Young (Sr). Initially, we socked them in the mouth...But, like experienced teams do, they came back...and once they got the momentum, they kept it...Once they got the lead, they weren't going to let their Seniors down...

Archie was right...in the 2nd half, it snowballed and we caved. I've been on a team on both sides of that...When you're confident and you have that experience and momentum, it's contagious...the whole team becomes confident and you start rolling...Baker and Harper had been having their problems, but they hit some tough shots...Confidence is catching...

One the other hand, there comes a point in a game where you know this team is better than you on this night...and with 10 minutes to go, that's what I saw...We went away from Trayce, Al wasn't playing like he did in the 1st half, and the important cogs in our wheel seemed deflated...No Armaan hurt as well, but I could tell he was laboring from the start...

But, being a guy who sees a silver lining to every dark cloud, I saw a few encouraging things...

I saw Galloway fighting the whole way...he made one layup and got stuffed on another, but to me, he was showing the upper classmen that HE wasn't giving up...That HE wasn't afraid...

I saw Khristian Lander go to the hoop and get shots up...He missed a couple, and one should have been a goal tending call, but I've been advocating that for a while now...forget the 3 pointers and go to the hoop...Down the road, he'll make them.

I saw Jordan Geronimo hit 2 3s under pressure. People discount that part of his game. But I think down the road he'll be a very important wing piece for us. Right now, Archie has to play him out of position...but his day will come...Same with Leal...He's showing he will be a dependable shooter...

As far as changing anything for me? No...To be honest, if we lost out it wouldn't change anything for me...If we can get a real home run hire, and that's what AD Dolson thinks is best, then he should do what he believes is right...But I'd hate to roll the dice for an "up and comer" or go with an IU guy (sidenote...wonder why Randy Wittman hasn't been mentioned in the other threads?)  JUST because he's an IU guy...I explained my thinking on Steve Alford here...

I'll tell you what I AM disappointed in...some of the mocking of our players on this site...I think valid criticism is one thing, but making fun of them is something else...I know some people just think they're being "funny" but if it was their kid, I'm sure they'd feel much differently...

And the crowd that says "it can't get any worse" has a very short memory...

36 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

I think the point about the lack of great replacement options is key here. Matta, Pitino, Donovan, Beilein, etc., aren't coming for various reasons.

HOW does anyone know this UNTIL we make an offer REQUIRING them to say NO.  You throw 7-8mm a year at any of them and you DON'T know what they will say??  IF we want a HOMERUN hire we have to make a HOMERUN offer.  IF we are unwilling to do that, then we are not the blue blood basketball program that the fan base believes we are

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The first 10 minutes, sans the 2 turnovers right at the start for Rob, were some of the best basketball I've seen IU play this year. 

I'll just say this...It was Rutgers' Senior Night...6 out of their top 7 in their rotation are upper classmen, Including Geo Baker (Sr) and Jacob Young (Sr). Initially, we socked them in the mouth...But, like experienced teams do, they came back...and once they got the momentum, they kept it...Once they got the lead, they weren't going to let their Seniors down...

Archie was right...in the 2nd half, it snowballed and we caved. I've been on a team on both sides of that...When you're confident and you have that experience and momentum, it's contagious...the whole team becomes confident and you start rolling...Baker and Harper had been having their problems, but they hit some tough shots...Confidence is catching...

One the other hand, there comes a point in a game where you know this team is better than you on this night...and with 10 minutes to go, that's what I saw...We went away from Trayce, Al wasn't playing like he did in the 1st half, and the important cogs in our wheel seemed deflated...No Armaan hurt as well, but I could tell he was laboring from the start...

But, being a guy who sees a silver lining to every dark cloud, I saw a few encouraging things...

I saw Galloway fighting the whole way...he made one layup and got stuffed on another, but to me, he was showing the upper classmen that HE wasn't giving up...That HE wasn't afraid...

I saw Khristian Lander go to the hoop and get shots up...He missed a couple, and one should have been a goal tending call, but I've been advocating that for a while now...forget the 3 pointers and go to the hoop...Down the road, he'll make them.

I saw Jordan Geronimo hit 2 3s under pressure. People discount that part of his game. But I think down the road he'll be a very important wing piece for us. Right now, Archie has to play him out of position...but his day will come...Same with Leal...He's showing he will be a dependable shooter...

As far as changing anything for me? No...To be honest, if we lost out it wouldn't change anything for me...If we can get a real home run hire, and that's what AD Dolson thinks is best, then he should do what he believes is right...But I'd hate to roll the dice for an "up and comer" or go with an IU guy (sidenote...wonder why Randy Wittman hasn't been mentioned in the other threads?)  JUST because he's an IU guy...I explained my thinking on Steve Alford here...

I'll tell you what I AM disappointed in...some of the mocking of our players on this site...I think valid criticism is one thing, but making fun of them is something else...I know some people just think they're being "funny" but if it was their kid, I'm sure they'd feel much differently...

And the crowd that says "it can't get any worse" has a very short memory...

Fair take. I agree on not wanting an up and comer, get a proven guy or do nothing.

But that's why I've been pushing Pitino. Hard to find a more proven guy that is less afraid of the spotlight and has a bigger chip on his shoulder. There's baggage and he's old, so he isn't option 1, but I'd much rather have him for 5 years than an up and comer who may only last 5 years, too. 

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Fair take. I agree on not wanting an up and comer, get a proven guy or do nothing.

But that's why I've been pushing Pitino. Hard to find a more proven guy that is less afraid of the spotlight and has a bigger chip on his shoulder. There's baggage and he's old, so he isn't option 1, but I'd much rather have him for 5 years than an up and comer who may only last 5 years, too. 

Just like I wasn't on board with Sampson (it's not like I didn't root for the team though...but I was happy he got a quick pink slip) I can't get on board with Pitino, Pearl, or any of the other "greasy" hires...

Integrity is important to me...always has been, and always will be...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Just like I wasn't on board with Sampson (it's not like I didn't root for the team though,,,but I was happy he got a quick pink slip) I can't get on board with Pitino, Pearl, or any of the other "greasy" hires...

Integrity is important to me...always has been, and always will be...

I don't personally have a moral issue whatsoever with anything those guys have done, but I do get pretty worked up over things I do have a moral issue with, so I can respect that some won't be on board with those guys because they do have a moral issue. 

I just don't think paying players, skirting NCAA rules, strippers, and especially phone calls, are moral issues. 

Archived