It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

18 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The first 10 minutes, sans the 2 turnovers right at the start for Rob, were some of the best basketball I've seen IU play this year. 

I'll just say this...It was Rutgers' Senior Night...6 out of their top 7 in their rotation are upper classmen, Including Geo Baker (Sr) and Jacob Young (Sr). Initially, we socked them in the mouth...But, like experienced teams do, they came back...and once they got the momentum, they kept it...Once they got the lead, they weren't going to let their Seniors down...

Archie was right...in the 2nd half, it snowballed and we caved. I've been on a team on both sides of that...When you're confident and you have that experience and momentum, it's contagious...the whole team becomes confident and you start rolling...Baker and Harper had been having their problems, but they hit some tough shots...Confidence is catching...

One the other hand, there comes a point in a game where you know this team is better than you on this night...and with 10 minutes to go, that's what I saw...We went away from Trayce, Al wasn't playing like he did in the 1st half, and the important cogs in our wheel seemed deflated...No Armaan hurt as well, but I could tell he was laboring from the start...

But, being a guy who sees a silver lining to every dark cloud, I saw a few encouraging things...

I saw Galloway fighting the whole way...he made one layup and got stuffed on another, but to me, he was showing the upper classmen that HE wasn't giving up...That HE wasn't afraid...

I saw Khristian Lander go to the hoop and get shots up...He missed a couple, and one should have been a goal tending call, but I've been advocating that for a while now...forget the 3 pointers and go to the hoop...Down the road, he'll make them.

I saw Jordan Geronimo hit 2 3s under pressure. People discount that part of his game. But I think down the road he'll be a very important wing piece for us. Right now, Archie has to play him out of position...but his day will come...Same with Leal...He's showing he will be a dependable shooter...

As far as changing anything for me? No...To be honest, if we lost out it wouldn't change anything for me...If we can get a real home run hire, and that's what AD Dolson thinks is best, then he should do what he believes is right...But I'd hate to roll the dice for an "up and comer" or go with an IU guy (sidenote...wonder why Randy Wittman hasn't been mentioned in the other threads?)  JUST because he's an IU guy...I explained my thinking on Steve Alford here...

I'll tell you what I AM disappointed in...some of the mocking of our players on this site...I think valid criticism is one thing, but making fun of them is something else...I know some people just think they're being "funny" but if it was their kid, I'm sure they'd feel much differently...

And the crowd that says "it can't get any worse" has a very short memory...

I have not seen people mocking players.  Where do you see that?

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, iucane said:

HOW does anyone know this UNTIL we make an offer REQUIRING them to say NO.  You throw 7-8mm a year at any of them and you DON'T know what they will say??  IF we want a HOMERUN hire we have to make a HOMERUN offer.  IF we are unwilling to do that, then we are not the blue blood basketball program that the fan base believes we are

I don't think it needs to be that much since only two coaches make over 5.5.  if it is Brad Stevens then yes you offer that much but not for anyone else.  Would you have been happy if we got Mick Cronin for 5.5 million.

6 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

The guy we need is who we should have hired instead of Crean. He was on the Big net work last night. John B he is our guy. 

I'm totally on board if you can find me one of his actual former players coming to his defense.  Not Shaqingafool, not Snarles Barkley.  One guy that played under him that has taken up for Coach Beilein and the situation at Cavs.  If you get me some tweets or quotes I'll jump on board.  Until then it's a non starter.  We might as well go higher Iowa's athletic trainer that Urban had to fire after 3 days.  Unless you want a team of literally all white dudes.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't think it needs to be that much since only two coaches make over 5.5.  if it is Brad Stevens then yes you offer that much but not for anyone else.  Would you have been happy if we got Mick Cronin for 5.5 million.

No I wouldn't.  What I am saying is you pay a homerun hire what is required to get them to say YES.  We can debate who we believe to be a homerun hire.   Cronin is not in that group IMHO.  Stevens, Matta, Donovan sure

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't personally have a moral issue whatsoever with anything those guys have done, but I do get pretty worked up over things I do have a moral issue with, so I can respect that some won't be on board with those guys because they do have a moral issue. 

I just don't think paying players, skirting NCAA rules, strippers, and especially phone calls, are moral issues. 

Having strippers come in for recruits is the definition of immorality.   Also breaking known rules to me is something I don't want coaching at IU.  You might not think those rules are a big deal but they are rules none the less.

1 minute ago, iucane said:

No I wouldn't.  What I am saying is you pay a homerun hire what is required to get them to say YES.  We can debate who we believe to be a homerun hire.   Cronin is not in that group IMHO.  Stevens, Matta, Donovan sure

99.5% that Stevens and Donovan won't come no matter what

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm totally on board if you can find me one of his actual former players coming to his defense.  Not Shaqingafool, not Snarles Barkley.  One guy that played under him that has taken up for Coach Beilein and the situation at Cavs.  If you get me some tweets or quotes I'll jump on board.  Until then it's a non starter.  We might as well go high Iowa's atheltic training that Urban had to fire after 3 days.  Unless you want a team of literally all white dudes.

Wow that's way over board. When has he ever had an all white team? Not sure what his words were? I will look it up, but if it was that bad why is he on TV at all? He demands effort no matter what race you are. Truth is 95 percent of the players in the NBA play with no passion, it is not good basketball to watch. Just my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

Wow that's way over board. When has he ever had an all white team? Not sure what his words were? I will look it up, but if it was that bad why is he on TV at all? He demands effort no matter what race you are. Truth is 95 percent of the players in the NBA play with no passion, it is not good basketball to watch. Just my opinion. 

Just show me some of his players taking up for him.  That's all it takes, then I'm on board.  

I'm saying he won't be able to recruit black kids if he's thought of as an old racist white guy that got ran off by the Cavs players and not one single former player took up for him. If this is so false, please show me and I'll drop it and delete these posts.  

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/dribble-handoff-college-basketball-coaches-on-the-hottest-seats-as-regular-season-nears-completion/

Funny how only on these supposed "fan" boards is Archie considered on the hot seat. 

I have pulled off this forum and will go back off after posting this, as this has become as bad as any of the other boards in the negativity surrounding the coach and the program. Someone mentioned this as being a cesspool, and I agree wholeheartedly. Refuse to surround myself with the torch bearing mob going after the coach. 

This board used to ridicule Rupps Rafters. Unfortunately, it has become one and the same.

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/dribble-handoff-college-basketball-coaches-on-the-hottest-seats-as-regular-season-nears-completion/

Funny how only on these supposed "fan" boards is Archie considered on the hot seat. 

I have pulled off this forum and will go back off after posting this, as this has become as bad as any of the other boards in the negativity surrounding the coach and the program. Someone mentioned this as being a cesspool, and I agree wholeheartedly. Refuse to surround myself with the torch bearing mob going after the coach. 

This board used to ridicule Rupps Rafters. Unfortunately, it has become one and the same.

I have seen many national media talking about Archie's job security

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Jeff Goodman and his pod cast buddies, Kent Sterling, Sports Illustrated, Dakich, Seth Greenberg, and some others that I can’t think of off the top of my head.  

8 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

We’ve paid 12 million dollars for no tourney games played. But yeah we should still be trying to get a tan from pumping sunshine I guess

9 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Bye

7 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Dude, you aren't going to get sunshine and rainbows in our current situation.   "OMG, the fans of a sports team are talking about replacing a coach who has basically failed at the goals set out for him when he was hired every year he has been here....how terrible."

Nobody is being over the top about him.  All the criticism is justified.  If it wasn't, you wouldn't have to run away from the forum, you would be able to post things that support him doing a good job.  Most fans are not "cheerleaders".  Every program needs that type of fan but short of egregious misconduct, "cheerleader" fans support the coach.  If you are that type of fan, this is the ugly period for you.  The ugly period for fans like me is recognizing these issues two years ago and having the "cheerleader" fans pile on about being too negative.

We all have our purgatory as fans, now it's your turn.  Sorry, most of us cannot pretend it is all ok when it comes to this specific topic.  (And I swear to God if someone hits me with one of those "perspective" posts I will flip out.  We all know that cancer and illness and poverty and all that exists in this world.  I also know that family and friends and things like that are good.  I am just specifically talking about this one infinitesimally small piece of life.)

19 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Apparently, cbs sports is the definitive decision-maker on which coaches are on the hot seat.

tv-600.jpg

39 minutes ago, iucane said:

HOW does anyone know this UNTIL we make an offer REQUIRING them to say NO.  You throw 7-8mm a year at any of them and you DON'T know what they will say??  IF we want a HOMERUN hire we have to make a HOMERUN offer.  IF we are unwilling to do that, then we are not the blue blood basketball program that the fan base believes we are

I have no doubt Pitino would come if offered. He's never going to be offered, though, nor should he. Donovan just signed a 4 year contract with the Bulls less than six months ago, he's not coming right now even if IU offered 8 million/year (he's already making $6 mill). Beilein might come, but I don't know that hiring a 68 year old who left his last job under the circumstances that he did would be in the best long-term interest of the program.

Matta might be a different matter, but every indication he's ever given is that he is thoroughly enjoying retirement with no intention of returning. And if he did decide to return to coaching, I can't see him serving as the immediate successor for one of his proteges. And even then, don't forget that the wheels were coming off of Ohio State by the time he left.

Stevens is the only even semi-plausible HR hire out there, and while he may very well be a long-shot, the only chance you have to land him is to wait until May or June. So you either take a flier on another iffy possibility, or you ride it out with Archie at least into the summer to see where Stevens and the Celtics stand after the NBA season concludes. Given the possibilities on the table, I personally think the latter option is probably the smarter move, but I realize reasonable minds could disagree.

2 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

I have no doubt Pitino would come if offered. He's never going to be offered, though, nor should he. Donovan just signed a 4 year contract with the Bulls less than six months ago, he's not coming right now even if IU offered 8 million/year (he's already making $6 mill). Beilein might come, but I don't know that hiring a 68 year old who left his last job under the circumstances that he did would be in the best long-term interest of the program.

Matta might be a different matter, but every indication he's ever given is that he is thoroughly enjoying retirement with no intention of returning. And if he did decide to return to coaching, I can't see him serving as the immediate successor for one of his proteges. And even then, don't forget that the wheels were coming off of Ohio State by the time he left.

Stevens is the only even semi-plausible HR hire out there, and while he may very well be a long-shot, the only chance you have to land him is to wait until May or June. So you either take a flier on another iffy possibility, or you ride it out with Archie at least into the summer to see where Stevens and the Celtics stand after the NBA season concludes. Given the possibilities on the table, I personally think the latter option is probably the smarter move, but I realize reasonable minds could disagree.

Makes sense.  I'd imagine if the AD is open to the second option, he'd be able to guage interest before summer - Stevens may have zero interest.  Fortunately, I don't think there are tampering rules between colleges and NBA coaches.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I have heard a lot of former players aren't happy and there have been plenty of articles written on this subject.

I have said this before.  I have talked to a few former players that were not excited by this hire and were less excited into season 2 and 3.  With Covid I have not seen those players as those social situations are no longer available but I would expect it to be much worse now.

30 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Go to any game thread...

If by saying they are playing terrible or awful then, yeah lots of us are guilty.  If parents go to any fan message board they are just asking for trouble.  I don’t care if their son was Michael Jordan someone is going to not like something about their play, demeanor, etc.  To me it’s part of big time college athletics. 

Archived