It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

26 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

If he gets a fifth year they will lose a lot of money from donors.  They lost a ton when they hired Sampson and lost a ton of money when they held onto Crean too long.  So never mind, they’ll keep him and keep losing money.........

All seriousness aside, I sure would hate to be Coach Miller poking my head around Bloomington during all of this. I’m sure he’s a ghost....What a tough time for his daughter and wife to be a part of. I feel for them. 

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Artesian_86 said:

All seriousness aside, I sure would hate to be Coach Miller poking my head around Bloomington during all of this. I’m sure he’s a ghost....What a tough time for his daughter and wife to be a part of. I feel for them. 

Which is another reason why our administration should be doing their due diligence NOW.  I guaranty Archie's reputation is still strong enough that other schools would show interest if they thought he would listen.  And, he's probably to the point that he would.  

4 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

That's why i sometimes push back on some of the more negative/borderline nasty comments. Not that there's a ton on this board, but they are there. 

Call me soft, call me whatever, but these are real people. Yes Archie gets paid a lot of money, but he's still seems like a good dude and a husband and a father. It's not like he isn't giving his all. 

I'm sure many others here have too, but I've been in that spot where you lose your job for whatever reason and have that long drive home. I lost my job once after 7 years in a downsizing. I was the sole income in our family, we had 3 kids under 6, and had just purchased a new home. That drive home to my wife who was a stay-at-home mom was the longest drive ever...

Archie isn't getting it done, its most likely time to move on, but I like him and I feel bad for him. 

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Which is another reason why our administration should be doing their due diligence NOW.  I guaranty Archie's reputation is still strong enough that other schools would show interest if they thought he would listen.  And, he's probably to the point that he would.  

Honestly though......Just how tough is it being in Archie’s shoes right now? That’s why he’s paid big money, but he’s not “earnin’ his keep”. He is human, but the pressure has to be astronomical!!!!! 

1 minute ago, Artesian_86 said:

Honestly though......Just how tough is it being in Archie’s shoes right now? That’s why he’s paid big money, but he’s not “earnin’ his keep”. He is human, but the pressure has to be astronomical!!!!! 

Yup, and that's the human element. Regardless of how much money he makes, he probably thought he could be at IU for 10, 15, 20+ years. 

Assuming this doesn't work out, he's going to have to uproot his family. New town for his wife, new school and friends for his young daughter, etc. 

I know that's the life of a coach and that's partly why they get paid so much, but if you're Archie and his family it still sucks. 

3 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

I want to say something here...although I completely disagree with IUFLA I deeply appreciate his take and willingness to stand with it. 

I appreciate diverse opinions and perspectives so thanks IUFLA even if I will continue to not watch IU likely if Archie is retained. 🤷🏻‍♂️👀😅

Agree 100%.  I believe if you took the makeup of all of the different  views on this site, it would reasonably represent views of the fan base at large.  In other words, there are definitely some people 100% in Archie’s corner, period. So I’m glad we have that angle represented. 

Besides, his arguments are well thought out and he backs up his views with concrete reasons.  All of us can have bad moments but he’s a respectful poster and extremely knowledgeable. And a very smart and good guy.  

Besides he’s by himself fighting like 100 people.   And you could say he’s fighting with one hand behind his back because he doesn’t have the facts lol. 

It’s like a litigation where the law firm for one side doesn’t have the facts but they put up a good fight.  

l😜

14 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Agree.  Archie might get a step ahead of the posse.  Crean didn’t have the wherewithal to figure that one out.  Archie is smart enough to do it. I wouldn’t be surprised either way. 

18 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Unfortunately that’s part of the job.  And as someone said, that’s why he makes the big bucks.  I agree the pressure has to be awful. Most coaches are thick skinned, if not they learn to be really quick 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yup, and that's the human element. Regardless of how much money he makes, he probably thought he could be at IU for 10, 15, 20+ years. 

Assuming this doesn't work out, he's going to have to uproot his family. New town for his wife, new school and friends for his young daughter, etc. 

I know that's the life of a coach and that's partly why they get paid so much, but if you're Archie and his family it still sucks. 

Sometimes a school that has a lot of an appeal just is not a good fit.  Archie probably has thoughts about how things would be if he never left Dayton.

I think that, in the future, we will see more coaches take the Mark Few route to success.  At some point, especially if Few can prove you can win it all while not having to knock heads game in and game out with the big boys, other coaches at schools similar to Gonzaga will think 'I don't have to go to big name school to achieve the ultimate career success.  I got all I need right here.'

11 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

The Indiana job eats its coaches. Mike Davis hid in his basement and missed a game due to “illness”. Tom Crean’s son’s teacher announced his firing before it was true

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Agree.  Archie might get a step ahead of the posse.  Crean didn’t have the wherewithal to figure that one out.  Archie is smart enough to do it. I wouldn’t be surprised either way. 

Exactly. What if NC State, or Pittsburgh opened up.  Both would have built in appeal to Archie.  They are both Power 5 schools that have some success in their history, but a middle of the pack conference finish isn't the end of the world either.  

24 minutes ago, BGleas said:

That's why i sometimes push back on some of the more negative/borderline nasty comments. Not that there's a ton on this board, but they are there. 

Call me soft, call me whatever, but these are real people. Yes Archie gets paid a lot of money, but he's still seems like a good dude and a husband and a father. It's not like he isn't giving his all. 

I'm sure many others here have too, but I've been in that spot where you lose your job for whatever reason and have that long drive home. I lost my job once after 7 years in a downsizing. I was the sole income in our family, we had 3 kids under 6, and had just purchased a new home. That drive home to my wife who was a stay-at-home mom was the longest drive ever...

Archie isn't getting it done, its most likely time to move on, but I like him and I feel bad for him. 

Was in that situation last year April 16th. Got axed to boost the stock price.  I worked up in Lafayette.  I had a return to do at the local autozone so I did that because I didn’t know when else I would be in Lafayette and figured we would need the money. Then I sat in my car deciding to drive home with or without calling. It was terrible. 

That being said Archie has already gotten 12 million and is guaranteed 10 million more from IU if he chooses to sit on his butt. He gonna be fine. 

5 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

The Indiana job eats its coaches. Mike Davis hid in his basement and missed a game due to “illness”. Tom Crean’s son’s teacher announced his firing before it was true

It’s not just Indiana though.  UK did it to Tubby, Billy, and he’ll do it to Cal. Duke won’t be any different when K retires.  UNC did it with Doherty. Lots of passionate (crazy lunatics) fan bases do it.  We just happen to be in a real bad stretch of hiring coaches.

18 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Unfortunately that’s part of the job.  And as someone said, that’s why he makes the big bucks.  I agree the pressure has to be awful. Most coaches are thick skinned, if not they learn to be really quick 

I will never agree with attacking coaches/players/families. Never acceptable under any circumstance.

Coach Miller (at least somewhat) knew what he was getting himself into. Fred glass introduced him (and I’m sure talked about this with Miller beforehand) and said that winning big ten titles and a couple tournament games was not good enough at IU, and that Archie was hired to get us back to competing for “multiple national championships”. 

The IU job does come with tremendous expectations, often unrealistic in many eyes. But I can say confidently that we have the best fan base in the world because I can’t think of another CBB program that has such rich history and fell off so badly yet still has a passionate and involved fan base. Literally just getting in the top 3-4 in the conference and winning a couple tourney games would stall my whining about IU for a good year or 2.

13 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Was in that situation last year April 16th. Got axed to boost the stock price.  I worked up in Lafayette.  I had a return to do at the local autozone so I did that because I didn’t know when else I would be in Lafayette and figured we would need the money. Then I sat in my car deciding to drive home with or without calling. It was terrible. 

That being said Archie has already gotten 12 million and is guaranteed 10 million more from IU if he chooses to sit on his butt. He gonna be fine. 

Sorry to hear that. It's happened to me twice. Did the same thing, the entire drive home questioning  if I should call my wife or just show up at home. 

On the second part, I understand he makes a ton of money and will be fine, but that doesn't mean the human side still isn't very difficult. 

16 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

It’s not just Indiana though.  UK did it to Tubby, Billy, and he’ll do it to Cal. Duke won’t be any different when K retires.  UNC did it with Doherty. Lots of passionate (crazy lunatics) fan bases do it.  We just happen to be in a real bad stretch of hiring coaches.

That's not a coincidence. IU administration tried getting cute years ago and it's bitten them.

Just now, Hoosierdave said:

I will never agree with attacking coaches/players/families. Never acceptable under any circumstance.

Coach Miller (at least somewhat) knew what he was getting himself into. Fred glass introduced him (and I’m sure talked about this with Miller beforehand) and said that winning big ten titles and a couple tournament games was not good enough at IU, and that Archie was hired to get us back to competing for “multiple national championships”. 

The IU job does come with tremendous expectations, often unrealistic in many eyes. But I can say confidently that we have the best fan base in the world because I can’t think of another CBB program that has such rich history and fell off so badly yet still has a passionate and involved fan base. Literally just getting in the top 3-4 in the conference and winning a couple tourney games would stall my whining about IU for a good year or 2.

Attacking is a strange word.  If criticism is attacking then not many aren’t guilty.  I agree, families need to be left alone.  Criticism isn’t leaving sports anytime soon.

13 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

And happens to be one of the very few blue bloods (if we can call ourselves that anymore) that has eaten up 4.2 coaches in under 2 decades. That's why I caution people on wanting a new shiny penny. Unless it's an absolute HR hire...might be best to stay the course. Hiring a guy can bring hope...but it also might be a waste for the next 3-4 years where as Archie could stabilize this thing by next year.

See it happen all day/year long with emotional company leaders. If the hire isn't of the home run type...I say stay the course for another year.

PS gang. There are about 10 donors who actually matter. For the I send $5k a year crowd like some do...it takes thousands of those to add up to the 1. This whole donor conversation is nonsense. 

18 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

We all handle things differently.  I was fired from my first job in 2011. Got fired last December.  Now working the best job I've ever had. 

Both times all I could was laugh. It's tough getting the news but you just have to push on. Probably less stressful for me since I dont have kids. But each time I ended up with a better deal. Maybe I'm just lucky. 

But if Archie gets fired and was smart with his money he could just say F it and retire. 

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

We all handle things differently.  I was fired from my first job in 2011. Got fired last December.  Now working the best job I've ever had. 

Both times all I could was laugh. It's tough getting the news but you just have to push on. Probably less stressful for me since I dont have kids. But each time I ended up with a better deal. Maybe I'm just lucky. 

But if Archie gets fired and was smart with his money he could just say F it and retire. 

Yeah if I hadn’t had a kid I would have been ecstatic I hated that job. And it only took me 5 weeks to find a better job. But was super stressful.  

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

And happens to be one of the very few blue bloods (if we can call ourselves that anymore) that has eaten up 4.2 coaches in under 2 decades. That's why I caution people on wanting a new shiny penny. Unless it's an absolute HR hire...might be best to stay the course. Hiring a guy can bring hope...but it also might be a waste for the next 3-4 years where as Archie could stabilize this thing by next year.

See it happen all day/year long with emotional company leaders. If the hire isn't of the home run type...I say stay the course for another year.

PS gang. There are about 10 donors who actually matter. For the I send $5k a year crowd like some do...it takes thousands of those to add up to the 1. This whole donor conversation is nonsense. 

Give me one example of a coach that stabilized a 4 year **** show in year 5. That happened this century. 

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I think all of us understand (at least I do) that there are different levels of donors.  There may only be 10 donors that matter, but if you can get 5-6 of those donors to pony up the money to pay the buyout, that's money that they can afford to part with if having a premiere basketball team is important to them.  

Archived