It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It's been over 25 years. How long do you need?

The coaching hasn't been good. The administration has actively worked to deemphasize basketball. 

Both things are true. But for any coach, it's going to be more difficult when you don't have full organizational support. 

Again, nobody is saying Archie has been good or that he doesn't deserve to be fired. 

But, the job is more difficult without an all-in administration. 

That's all we're saying, and everyone tried to make it some huge defense of Archie. 

So is UCLA administration been holding them back all of these years.  To me our success mainly came from having a once in a lifetime coach and that coach is gone.  Just like UCLA fans still yearn for the success they had under Wooden but haven't found it because Wooden was a once in a lifetime coach.  They have changed coaches more often than us and has found some success but not at a sustained level.  Would you have been happy if we gave Mick Cronin 5.5 million a year.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

Is it possible in the history of iubb that previous administrations supported coach Knight way too solidly? Totally agree and understand your confidence too

Well, let's face it, RMK in the early 90s held more power than anyone in the administration, and it wasn't really close. Whether you think that's healthy or not is another thing entirely.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So is UCLA administration been holding them back all of these years.  To me our success mainly came from having a once in a lifetime coach and that coach is gone.  Just like UCLA fans still yearn for the success they had under Wooden but haven't found it because Wooden was a once in a lifetime coach.  They have changed coaches more often than us and has found some success but not at a sustained level.  Would you have been happy if we gave Mick Cronin 5.5 million a year.

I don't follow UCLA closely enough to answer all of that.  

I'd be happy if we hired a coach and then supported him 100% and let him do what he does. 

If we hired Cronin and he wanted to release 3 recruits and bring the point guard from UCLA that he had previously signed, then I'd hope our administration would let him do that. 

You're so focused on the money, its more than that. 

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well they went to 3 FFs with Ben Howland who they fired.  I wish our administration had UCLAs expectations. 

And Alford went to 3 Sweet 16s in his first 4 years.   Again fired.

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I don't follow UCLA closely enough to answer all of that.  

I'd be happy if we hired a coach and then supported him 100% and let him do what he does. 

If we hired Cronin and he wanted to release 3 recruits and bring the point guard from UCLA that he had previously signed, then I'd hope our administration would let him do that. 

You're so focused on the money, its more than that. 

I am not focused on money like some are because I see people say just throw out 10 million and any coach will come.

6 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

25 years but context is that’s 4 hire. 1 of which was good.  3 bad hires. 

We need to change how we hire.  Mike Davis wasn’t good enough to be named the sole interim coach. That should have been an obvious no. 

Crean was a flash in the pan and so was Archie.  We went flash not substance 

We need to invest in somebody that has been successful multiple high level places or years at a single high level place 

If we do that and the guy can’t take us the next step then we can talk about what the administration needs to do. 

Is the administration willing to pay for someone who has been successful on the level you mention? I think the answer is no. 

Our administration has not been good enough. It has not supported the coaches it has hired well enough and it hasn't hired the right coaches. The admin also hasn't emphasized winning enough. 

The coaches that were hired also have not been good enough and have failed at their jobs. 

6 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Well they went to 3 FFs with Ben Howland who they fired.  I wish our administration had UCLAs expectations. 

And Alford went to 3 Sweet 16s in his first 4 years.   Again fired.

By the way IU did fire a coach who went to a championship game and another coach who went to 3 sweet 16's in 5 years.

4 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

He went to it with a HOF coaches players.  See Illinois, UCONN, UK, etc.  All were fired.

What does that have to do with anything you said you wish IU would have the expectations as UCLA by firing coaches who went to the final four or sweet 16's.  IU did just that and that is what matters.

I know absolutely zero about the IU administration's responsibility for poor BB results under Archie.  But, I have read that CAM has the 14th highest compensation of ALL D1 coaches.  Bill Self makes double of CAM, but is ranked only 9 positions higher on that scale.  Here are some of Self's results: Record at home games at KU 264 - 14.   That's an average of of ONE loss at home per year for about 18 years.  His record at ILL for 3 yrs was about 75% winning overall.   we all have seen many many home losses under CAM, some to lesser teams.   Self is a special coach,  and no program lands those guys often.   However, IMO opinion, it is offbase to mitigage CAM's results with Admin lack of support.  The only big mistake i see that they made is signing him up for huge $$$$ and longer-term than is justified.   If they dont make a change after this season, then that is another big mistake they're making.

17 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Our administration has not been good enough. It has not supported the coaches it has hired well enough and it hasn't hired the right coaches. The admin also hasn't emphasized winning enough. 

The coaches that were hired also have not been good enough and have failed at their jobs. 

Idk how it can’t be more concise than this. But bring on the “so you’re saying the administration is telling Archie what plays he can call??!!”

2 minutes ago, John S said:

I know absolutely zero about the IU administration's responsibility for poor BB results under Archie.  But, I have read that CAM has the 14th highest compensation of ALL D1 coaches.  Bill Self makes double of CAM, but is ranked only 9 positions higher on that scale.  Here are some of Self's results: Record at home games at KU 264 - 14.   That's an average of of ONE loss at home per year for about 18 years.  His record at ILL for 3 yrs was about 75% winning overall.   we all have seen many many home losses under CAM, some to lesser teams.   Self is a special coach,  and no program lands those guys often.   However, IMO opinion, it is offbase to mitigage CAM's results with Admin lack of support.  The only big mistake i see that they made is signing him up for huge $$$$ and longer-term than is justified.   If they dont make a change after this season, then that is another big mistake they're making.

Don’t see anyone saying that. Don’t see a single person saying “if only the administration had done X, then Archie would be doing better at coaching this team.” Zero.

1 minute ago, BADGERVOL said:

Don’t see anyone saying that. Don’t see a single person saying “if only the administration had done X, then Archie would be doing better at coaching this team.” Zero.

1 minute ago, BADGERVOL said:

OK>  I ll stick to comments about bb games, and avoid discussion on Admin, which as i said I have zero knowledge about,,,only hearsay and  on forums

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just look at about any thread and you will find it

I’ve seen offering 10 million a ton. Haven’t seen anyone say “if we offer we can have any coach we want.” I’ve seen tons of talk about how that still isn’t a guarantee but we want to try.

I’m fine offering top dollar for a big name and striking out. At least it would show we are willing to.

Went to see Indiana Wesleyan women's team play last night and they are ranked in the top 20 in D2.  I saw better offensive execution and better actual offensive sets than I have seen from Archie in 4 years.  Played with great flow and pace and ran up and down the court and did not just walk the ball up the court.  They had 5 players on the court that can hit 3's and I think they had near 15 made 3's last night.

Archived