It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

9 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

One of my greatest memories is my dad took to Assembly Halll, showed me the trophy room,and we straight up walked on the Assembly hall floor and shot around.  RMK was an [edited] as usual,(still love the guy) @Billingsley99 you understand why we still love RMK. 

Anyway but would you expect any different?, but his assistant Norm Ellenberger gave us a tour of the locker rooms.  

My point is, I am very familiar with Indiana University even thought I didnt go there because $$$.

But I work in town and am so pissed off I will bust down doors and deliver letters in person for y'all. 

Edit: Please don't use foul language on the board. Keep it clean, as has always been one of our rules.

Coach Ellenberger was one of my all time favorite people. Me being a humble grateful college student opened doors I never could have imagined. Just playing in assembly hall once a week was just the tip of the iceberg. 

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A strong athletic department brings a ton of value to a university. Don’t you think Alabama’s academic standards have gone up since Saban took over? More people apply, more people apply from out of state because they want to go to a school where they can have a full college experience, which includes those special sporting events. IU is not a Michigan or Northwestern academically, but IU needs to be able to offer more unique college experiences in order to elevate its status as an institution. 

17 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Wait, you're saying there are people at an institution of higher learning, which exists to educate people and help prepare them for life, that want to be known for successful academic programs as opposed to it's extracurricular activities??  How dare they!!!  I want perspective employers to see my IU degree and admire me because a basketball team one some games.  Who give's a rat's ass about the quality of the academics, I'm the right hire, because Calbert Cheaney was a really good player and I went to school with him.  O.o

You mean athletics isn’t a profession that schools prepare gifted athletes for? You mean it wouldn’t be nice to have a top notch basketball and football team for those students who are going into sports journalism to cover? Or those who want to go into broadcasting? Basketball shouldn’t be an afterthought and looked at as not part of the mission of a university, as it plays a part in it like many other aspects of higher education. Let’s be honest, IU academics are not on par with the rest of the Big Ten. It’s actually ranked in the bottom half, at least last I checked. So maybe that’s the plan, let’s be in the bottom half of everything. Let’s not be known for excellence across the board. Michigan and OSU seem to not have a problem with academics and sports. Duke doesn’t mind taking basketball seriously. Texas is willing to pay huge money when coaches aren’t producing, yet are a good academic school. 

5 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Sorry, if a perspective employee shows me a UNC degree, my first thought is to wonder if it is real.  You can thank the basketball team for that.

Haha well maybe NC  was a bad one to use. ! Does not change the fact you can have both great school an Athletics. 
I don’t believe it has to be one or the other! 

31 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Wait, you're saying there are people at an institution of higher learning, which exists to educate people and help prepare them for life, that want to be known for successful academic programs as opposed to it's extracurricular activities??  How dare they!!!  I want perspective employers to see my IU degree and admire me because a basketball team one some games.  Who give's a rat's ass about the quality of the academics, I'm the right hire, because Calbert Cheaney was a really good player and I went to school with him.  O.o

Wait you’re saying top administration people who use tax payer money for public institutions, while making hundreds of millions off athletics, endowments, donations, grants, merchandise, books, speaking engagements, etc, and get paid ABSOLUTELY ABSURD salaries, wake up every morning mostly concerned with the education of our next generation while driving students insanely in debt?

I’d say we can have our cake and eat it too. It’s not too much to expect excellence in every aspect of an institution like that.

10 minutes ago, Feathery said:

You mean athletics isn’t a profession that schools prepare gifted athletes for? You mean it wouldn’t be nice to have a top notch basketball and football team for those students who are going into sports journalism to cover? Or those who want to go into broadcasting? Basketball shouldn’t be an afterthought and looked at as not part of the mission of a university, as it plays a part in it like many other aspects of higher education. Let’s be honest, IU academics are not on par with the rest of the Big Ten. It’s actually ranked in the bottom half, at least last I checked. So maybe that’s the plan, let’s be in the bottom half of everything. Let’s not be known for excellence across the board. Michigan and OSU seem to not have a problem with academics and sports. Duke doesn’t mind taking basketball seriously. Texas is willing to pay huge money when coaches aren’t producing, yet are a good academic school. 

There are almost 50,000 students enrolled at IU.  How many are scholarship athletes?  Less than 1,000?  How many will make their living in athletics?  Including sports reporters, coaches etc, maybe 500?  The other 500 plus the other 49,000 should have a good education to fall back on.  So yes, academics are more important than athletics.  There are great schools across the country that don't have much if any athletics programs.  If we are struggling in academics as you suggest, perhaps the plan is to spend more time and resources on fixing that and less on fixing a basketball team.  You know, the greater good and all.  And before we go there, I understand schools can have both, but if we are as bad academically as people are suggesting, I do hope that is the administrations number 1 priority.

1 minute ago, Muddy River said:

There are almost 50,000 students enrolled at IU.  How many are scholarship athletes?  Less than 1,000?  How many will make their living in athletics?  Including sports reporters, coaches etc, maybe 500?  The other 500 plus the other 49,000 should have a good education to fall back on.  So yes, academics are more important than athletics.  There are great schools across the country that don't have much if any athletics programs.  If we are struggling in academics as you suggest, perhaps the plan is to spend more time and resources on fixing that and less on fixing a basketball team.  You know, the greater good and all.  And before we go there, I understand schools can have both, but if we are as bad academically as people are suggesting, I do hope that is the administrations number 1 priority.

If your academics has slipped that much an our basketball program is in the tank for everyone to see. Maybe we need a new President of the University. Who would clean house of under performing administration. 

Purdue choose our ex Governor and they are doing very well! 

3 minutes ago, OLDIUFAN said:

If your academics has slipped that much an our basketball program is in the tank for everyone to see. Maybe we need a new President of the University. Who would clean house of under performing administration. 

Purdue choose our ex Governor and they are doing very well! 

I don't disagree, but I'm also not a fan of Mitch.  Mitch was quoted in the Indy Star saying that the WL campus was for out of state students, and that the satellite campuses were for the in state kids.  Don't know if he got that from IU of if IU got it from him, but both schools are operating on the same philosophy.  It's why I dropped out of the alumni association and stopped donating any money,

11 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

I don't disagree, but I'm also not a fan of Mitch.  Mitch was quoted in the Indy Star saying that the WL campus was for out of state students, and that the satellite campuses were for the in state kids.  Don't know if he got that from IU of if IU got it from him, but both schools are operating on the same philosophy.  It's why I dropped out of the alumni association and stopped donating any money,

IU was doing this long before Mitch took over. 

1 hour ago, Muddy River said:

The irony is that IU academics has fallen since the administration decided to focus on academics over sports. I’m not downplaying academics at all. I know the weight a degree carries. The money they have taken from the athletic department Big Ten Network payouts haven’t been put to use to enhance the reputation of Indiana academics. My other point I was making is that athletic achievement doesn’t have to mean lower academic standing. You used UNC degree as a question it’s validity bc of a scandal. Yet, UNC is a degree that is viewed as a superior to a Indiana degree. As is Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Purdue, Texas, etc. who all do great in both athletics and academics. It doesn’t have to be an either or. It can be both. And if IU needs to raid the athletic department budgets to help in getting academics to a higher level, then they needs its sports teams to be successful or that money will be finished as well. 

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You can do both Villanova and UVA shows that

How do you know Villanova doesn't operate in the gray area? Their second title was built around Jalen Brunson and Omari Spellman. Both top 20 recruits from Big Ten country. Brunson from Illinois and Spellman from Ohio. 

Not exactly fertile recruiting grounds for schools in Philly. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

How do you know Villanova doesn't operate in the gray area? Their second title was built around Jalen Brunson and Omari Spellman. Both top 20 recruits from Big Ten country. Brunson from Illinois and Spellman from Ohio. 

Not exactly fertile recruiting grounds for schools in Philly. 

Brunson's dad played at Temple which is also in Philly

2 hours ago, Muddy River said:

That’s way too facile.  No one has suggested otherwise.  The point is quality administrations at P5 schools can use athletics to accentuate academics and cash flow. 

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Brunson's dad played at Temple which is also in Philly

Yeah, I know where Temple is. I live about an hour from Philly. 

Still doesn't change that he got Brunson out of Illinois and Spellman out of Ohio. His dad didn't play for Wright or Villanova. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, I know where Temple is. I live about an hour from Philly. 

Still doesn't change that he got Brunson out of Illinois and Spellman out of Ohio. His dad didn't play for Wright or Villanova. 

Also wright has produced a lot of good guards so he could have looked at that.  I am not saying they don't play in the Gray area but nothing has came out about it.  I guess I am the kind of person who believes it is innocent until proven guilty

2 hours ago, Muddy River said:

I totally disagree.  Love Mitch. He was one of the best governors out there and now is a top university president.  IU students will always have a majority of its student body coming from in state as a state school and the implications with state taxes.  

I went to IU in-state but I’m all for IU getting as many top students as possible.  This is a competitive world and we are built on capitalistic principles.   IU should not be handing out spots like it’s a charity.  Look at Michigan, North Carolina, Virginia and top echelon state schools.  You have to earn your way in there.  Rightfully so.

The more top students you have, the better your school will be in the end. 

Ironic that you come in here like the church lady preaching the importance of academics and then you want IU to lower its standards.  Apparently, many of us have much higher standards for IU than you do. I have degrees from three different departments  at IU and I want the best.

I couldn’t agree more with Mitch. There are plenty of in state options if you don’t get into IUB. Ball State.  ISU.  Numerous satellite schools etc.  And I am not taking a shot at any of those schools. Respect them all.  But there is no problem with a kid going there if IU standards are high.  

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Also wright has produced a lot of good guards so he could have looked at that.  I am not saying they don't play in the Gray area but nothing has came out about it.  I guess I am the kind of person who believes it is innocent until proven guilty

Playing in the gray area doesn't make you guilty. I assume if you're recruiting at a level where you can win multiple national titles in a 3 year span that you're at minimum in the gray area. 

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

I totally disagree.  Love Mitch. He was one of the best governors out there and now is a top university president.  IU students will always have a majority of its student body coming from in state as a state school and the implications with state taxes.  

I went to IU in-state but I’m all for IU getting as many top students as possible.  This is a competitive world and we are built on capitalistic principles.   IU should not be handing out spots like it’s a charity.  Look at Michigan, North Carolina, Virginia and top echelon state schools.  You have to earn your way in there.  Rightfully so.

The more top students you have, the better your school will be in the end. 

Ironic that you come in here like the church lady preaching the importance of academics and then you want IU to lower its standards.  Apparently, many of us have much higher standards for IU than you do. 

I know the University needs the money but I think they put way to much emphasize on out of state students.  It seems like the academic standing has went down since they have changed their philosophy.   I know sports isn't the most important thing for the administration but having good sports teams can lead to more applications.  Also I think since they went to out of state students the student section at the game has went down.  You see a lot of games where students come in late or not at all.  To me these out of state students probably weren't big IU sports fans growing up so it doesn't mean anything to them.  For sports purpose it would be better to have more in state students come to IU because they would be more likely to want to get season tickets.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know the University needs the money but I think they put way to much emphasize on out of state students.  It seems like the academic standing has went down since they have changed their philosophy.   I know sports isn't the most important thing for the administration but having good sports teams can lead to more applications.  Also I think since they went to out of state students the student section at the game has went down.  You see a lot of games where students come in late or not at all.  To me these out of state students probably weren't big IU sports fans growing up so it doesn't mean anything to them.  For sports purpose it would be better to have more in state students come to IU because they would be more likely to want to get season tickets.

I think this comes down to the product on the field/court. Win and people will show up. There is no doubt that this fall our football team will attract a healthy attendance. In-state or Out-of-state, the mentality is the same: if the team is good, kids will want to watch in person.

25 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I think this comes down to the product on the field/court. Win and people will show up. There is no doubt that this fall our football team will attract a healthy attendance. In-state or Out-of-state, the mentality is the same: if the team is good, kids will want to watch in person.

I just think a lot of in state students probably grew up watching IU sports and be more inclined to buy season tickets.  I think they would be more invested in their success as well.  I always hate seeing some say that if you didn't attend IU how can you be a real fan.  To me I have seen a bunch of old guys who never attended IU but has been fans for 50+ years.  To me they are more of a fan than a kid who came from say New York who didn't even know what IU basketball was before they got here.

Archived