It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

5 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Most universities use athletic programs to bring in the money needed to fund athletics and academics.

I'm about to go on a rant so forgive me. 

College tuition has been subsidized by the US government to the point  anyone can get a loan. IU has been sucking on that teet for years.  

Indiana University is meant for qualified in state students first and non residents 2nd. I wanted to go there but they priced me out.  

If my daughter didn't get her scholarship there was no way I could afford to send her

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If my daughter didn't get her scholarship there was no way I could afford to send her

I wanted to go to IU so bad but my parents couldn't pay their part and looking at the student loans I would have to pay back I wasn't willing to take on that debt. Im still paying on student loans but will be done in 5-6 years. 

2 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I wanted to go to IU so bad but my parents couldn't pay their part and looking at the student loans I would have to pay back I wasn't willing to take on that debt. Im still paying on student loans but will be done in 5-6 years. 

The price of college is absolutely ridiculous these days

12 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I have been very blessed that I have not had to get any student loans for either of my kids.  My daughter had to get a loan for grad school because her scholarship didn't cover grad school.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.zdnet.com/google-amp/article/fbi-is-investigating-more-than-1000-cases-of-chinese-theft-of-us-technology/

Look has nothing to do with racism...China is the worlds biggest thief. As for other countries I would rather not subsidize their educational systems by having our schools filled up with their students. Anyways this isn’t the time or place. You can pm me if you would like to discuss further. And I’d appreciate it if you would apologize for calling me racist. I know it’s the “in” thing to do but if you really think that of me I think you could talk to me privately before rushing to such an egregious opinion.

You literally called IU students thieves because of where they are from.  What clarification could you possibly make on that. 

If you don’t want people to accuse you of being racist stop calling people criminals based on where they are from.  

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Anytime government subsidies anything the price skyrockets.  They either dont understand equilibrium theory or they just dont care. 

That’s not why the price is skyrocketing....it’s an arms race trying win over future students at the expense of current students. I remember my tuition going up by 400 one semester.  An increase to my technology fee.  Asked a guy in UITS what it was for and he said it was going to be used to put up new flat screens all throughout the KSOB. I would later note these flatscreens having pointless announcements on them. But man they looked great to prospective parents I bet. 

No question about the loans.  A total windfall and bonanza for colleges and universities.  I feel bad for the earnest students today that are priced out.  Meanwhile the colleges and universities hire an endless stream of middle management type bureaucrats.

The other issue is that not everyone should be going to college.  This is some fiction created to inculcate secondary students that it’s essential.  It’s actually not.  There are many other avenues including trade schools where people do really, really well.  There are so many horror stories of kids getting $30-$40k in debt and then leaving college because it’s not for them.   

It’s very similar to home ownership.  It gets jammed down people’s throats that you should own.   Maybe, maybe not!  Renting is just fine depending on circumstance.  In some markets there is volatility in housing prices.  My physical therapist bought a modest townhome and is now down $50k in value.  She’s trapped because she has an opportunity out west and is trapped here since she’s under water.  

35 minutes ago, BDB said:

ONLY, on an IU basketball board would you read something like this.  You graduated in the early '40's?

I graduated in 2009.  Of the people I know that got jobs using their college degrees I can’t think of a single one that stayed in the state of Indiana. Quite a few underemployed people such as myself stuck around.

Couple went to Chicago. Had a few NYC. A couple more throughout the Midwest and one was west coast somewhere. San Fran maybe. 

IU can recruit people from Indiana all they want but if there aren’t jobs for them when they graduate they are going to leave. So until our state government does more than make us the warehousing capital of the US people will take their IU degrees and leave the state 

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

No question about the loans.  A total windfall and bonanza for colleges and universities.  I feel bad for the earnest students today that are priced out.  Meanwhile the colleges and universities hire an endless stream of middle management type bureaucrats.

The other issue is that not everyone should be going to college.  This is some fiction created to inculcate secondary students that it’s essential.  It’s actually not.  There are many other avenues including trade schools where people do really, really well.  There are so many horror stories of kids getting $30-$40k in debt and then leaving college because it’s not for them.   

It’s very similar to home ownership.  It gets jammed down people’s throats that you should own.   Maybe, maybe not!  Renting is just fine depending on circumstance.  In some markets there is volatility in housing prices.  My physical therapist bought a modest townhome and is now down $50k in value.  She’s trapped because she has an opportunity out west and is trapped here since she’s under water.  

You aren’t joking. Was force fed the narrative all through high school that you are a failure if you don’t go to college.  We are desperately short of skilled trades people in this country.  We need to stop demeaning this work.  

17 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

That’s not why the price is skyrocketing....it’s an arms race trying win over future students at the expense of current students. I remember my tuition going up by 400 one semester.  An increase to my technology fee.  Asked a guy in UITS what it was for and he said it was going to be used to put up new flat screens all throughout the KSOB. I would later note these flatscreens having pointless announcements on them. But man they looked great to prospective parents I bet. 

Do you disagree that when .Gov pumps money into an industry it drives prices down?  Government subsidies ALWAYS make things more expensive.  

3 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Do you disagree that when .Gov pumps money into an industry it drives prices down?  Government subsidies ALWAYS make things more expensive.  

You are going to need to go into more detail on what you mean.  I’m not even certain you can call something that raises the price to the consumer a subsidy.  Like I’m like 10 years out of date on my Econ but I’m pretty sure that you can’t call that a subsidy.  

If you mean student loans then I guess?  But I also think the term subsidy has been falsely attributed to what the government does with them.  The net effect of a government backed student loan is terrible for the borrower.  

I don’t think anybody is wrong and there is truth to what everybody is saying in regards to tuition. It is a mess down to the stupid electives we are forced to pay for that have nothing to do with the field we are pursuing. So much is wrong there’s not one good place to start when diagnosing the problem. 

3 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

You are going to need to go into more detail on what you mean.  I’m not even certain you can call something that raises the price to the consumer a subsidy.  Like I’m like 10 years out of date on my Econ but I’m pretty sure that you can’t call that a subsidy.  

If you mean student loans then I guess?  But I also think the term subsidy has been falsely attributed to what the government does with them.  The net effect of a government backed student loan is terrible for the borrower.  

Ok, government says we will provide low interest student loans to anyone.  

Colleges are like cool we can admit anybody now .Gov will pay for it. So let's raise tuition.  .Gov pays for it and the cycle continues.  

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I don’t think anybody is wrong and there is truth to what everybody is saying in regards to tuition. It is a mess down to the stupid electives we are forced to pay for that have nothing to do with the field we are pursuing. So much is wrong there’s not one good place to start. 

Wait are you telling me the geography course I took for my business degree was meaningless.  How can you say that.  Next you’ll be telling me my A+ in Bugs Bunny an American Icon is useless. 

3 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I don’t think anybody is wrong and there is truth to what everybody is saying in regards to tuition. It is a mess down to the stupid electives we are forced to pay for that have nothing to do with the field we are pursuing. So much is wrong there’s not one good place to start when diagnosing the problem. 

Screw Humanaties classed am I right. 

And I love history but I learned all I needed in high school literally and spent $1500 on on classes I didn't even buy the books for. 

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

Wait are you telling me the geography course I took for my business degree was meaningless.  How can you say that.  Next you’ll be telling me my A+ in Bugs Bunny an American Icon is useless. 

The titles of some of these classes are hilarious. A couple I remember: Indians of Indiana, charts graphs and tables, gender religion and history, Elvis and the post war era. Glad my tuition money funded these job programs for professors. 

We’ve lost the hole point of a liberal arts education. 

The answer isn’t to scale back electives like Music Appreciation (and I’m a jock who never did an instrument), it’s to make education more affordable. Society as a whole is better off when more are educated on more things. PARTICULARLY literature, history, and the arts. And OMG I have NO art bone in my body. In anything. But it broadens us and makes us better humans that connect to one another and enriches the bigger picture.

Lets not make liberal arts educations “tech schools” let’s make them cheaper (not free!) and get rid of corruption, wasted money, etc. there are better ways to do this without cutting out the whole purpose of a liberal arts education. 

3 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

The titles of some of these classes are hilarious. A couple I remember: Indians of Indiana, charts graphs and tables, gender religion and history, Elvis and the post war era. Glad my tuition money funded these job programs for professors. 

Ok some of those are crap lol

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Wow. I guess my university was pretty based compared to others. I got tossed out of my humanities class for calling my professor a communist. 

8 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

We’ve lost the hole point of a liberal arts education. 

The answer isn’t to scale back electives like Music Appreciation (and I’m a jock who never did an instrument), it’s to make education more affordable. Society as a whole is better off when more are educated on more things. PARTICULARLY literature, history, and the arts. And OMG I have NO art bone in my body. In anything. But it broadens us and makes us better humans that connect to one another and enriches the bigger picture.

Lets not make liberal arts educations “tech schools” let’s make them cheaper (not free!) and get rid of corruption, wasted money, etc. there are better ways to do this without cutting out the whole purpose of a liberal arts education. 

I hear you. But you can’t get specific majors outside a liberal arts degree. We just accept that but it’s kinda messed up. Especially when college is so expensive - all that money is going to unnecessary credit hours that are required to get a 4 year degree, which in turn, is required by employers. 

18 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I hear you. But you can’t get specific majors outside a liberal arts degree. We just accept that but it’s kinda messed up. Especially when college is so expensive - all that money is going to unnecessary credit hours that are required to get a 4 year degree, which in turn, is required by employers. 

Well they need the money to update their quad or build new rooms to segregate the student body. 

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

How did this topic get do far off track. It was supposed to be about firing Miller but now it is about Universities economics

Lets bring it full circle then. The economy of the university will dictate if Archie is fired or not. Carry on. 

Archived