It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

This will, apparently, be a very unpopular opinion in this thread: I'm better at "business" because of my liberal arts degree. And I have the data to prove I'm better at it than people with business degrees. 

Makes perfect sense to me.

My dad is a B'school (not IU) prof. He says they give the nod to the non-Business Undergrads when looking at the MBA apps because business undergrads are too narrowly focused. Steve Jobs in his speech to the Stanford graduating class said his most valuable class was calligraphy because it taught him the importance of design.

There's a reason History is still the number one major at Harvard and most of the other Ivies.

48 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

This will, apparently, be a very unpopular opinion in this thread: I'm better at "business" because of my liberal arts degree. And I have the data to prove I'm better at it than people with business degrees. 

so you're better than every person who has ever gotten a business degree.  That is quite a statement there.

5 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

so you're better than every person who has ever gotten a business degree.  That is quite a statement there.

I'm not sure I said that, but I will say I really value the reading comprehension I gained from my liberal arts degree. 

17 hours ago, BGleas said:

How do you know Villanova doesn't operate in the gray area? Their second title was built around Jalen Brunson and Omari Spellman. Both top 20 recruits from Big Ten country. Brunson from Illinois and Spellman from Ohio. 

Not exactly fertile recruiting grounds for schools in Philly. 

Meh.  Upper Marlboro, Maryland is not exactly IU recruiting country.  Did Crean cheat to get Vic?  Sometimes there is a connection between coach and kid that overrides geography.  

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Meh.  Upper Marlboro, Maryland is not exactly IU recruiting country.  Did Crean cheat to get Vic?  Sometimes there is a connection between coach and kid that overrides geography.  

There's a difference between getting an under-recruited, late-bloomer that's ranked in the 100+ range vs. a 5* McDonald's All-American. 

I'm not saying Wright is some raging cheater, just saying if you're as successful as he has been there's a really good chance you're in that gray area. 

7 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Just clearing up my stance and then back to basketball. I don’t doubt that you are more well rounded. It’s not that I was disputing that taking all classes not related to a major is a waste - it’s the shear number of them. IIRC, at IU they are called COAS courses and I remember every time I was like ‘what dumb classes am I going to have to choose from this semester’. More times than not I looked at the grade distribution report and if they required attendance; so I could skip many classes and still get an easy A. These were outside the non-business major requirements like math, psychology, history, English composition, etc. (I’m not complaining about these)

The escalating cost of education is a huge problem I just think that all issues need to be on the table: we need to reevaluate philosophical and systematic way colleges have historically been ran. Administrative and facility costs are huge and college has turned into a game of keeping up with the Joneses. They’re too busy expanding to remain attractive to perspective students and uphold their reputation instead of taking more practical approach of fine tuning the curriculums they already have. Expand, expand, expand = more departments, more facilities, more staff, more administration, more pensions, etc. These costs are getting passed on to students, which equals more debt, which hurts the spending power of our economy. Something is going to bust. Mark Cuban was not crazy when he called higher education the next bubble. 

This is why I keep rolling my eyes when I see people complaining that our athletic facilities are ‘fine’ but they aren’t the ‘best’. It’s just more of the ‘keeping up with the joneses’ mentality. Sure a big doners may pay for a nice facility with their name on it, but who is paying the utilities? who is being paid to maintain it? who is being paid to clean it? I’m assuming that ultimately these costs are passed on to the students. 

9 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Very possible. Honestly the KSOB taught me a lot but they taught me little about people leadership which to go anywhere in logistics you have to have 

my entire job is walking around and building relationships. Facilitating information transfers. Somebody with a communications or teaching degree would have had a huge leg up in my field. 

20 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Very possible. Honestly the KSOB taught me a lot but they taught me little about people leadership which to go anywhere in logistics you have to have 

my entire job is walking around and building relationships. Facilitating information transfers. Somebody with a communications or teaching degree would have had a huge leg up in my field. 

Yeah, it all depends on what you do. I sell enterprise software (6 and 7 figure deals to large companies, usually dealing with their C-Suite) and I'm much better off because I have a well-rounded education. 

If I was in finance or probably even operations? I'd have been better off going to KSOB, IMO. 

12 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I'm not sure I said that, but I will say I really value the reading comprehension I gained from my liberal arts degree. 

What you said was you were better at business with your LA degree than people with Business degrees and you have the data to prove that.  So i assumed your sample size was everyone who has a business degree.  It was meant to be tongue and cheek and be funny.  But instead it didn't that land that way and you decided to call me stupid without actually calling me stupid by referencing you comprehension gained from said degree.  Very well done. 

33 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

What you said was you were better at business with your LA degree than people with Business degrees and you have the data to prove that.  So i assumed your sample size was everyone who has a business degree.  It was meant to be tongue and cheek and be funny.  But instead it didn't that land that way and you decided to call me stupid without actually calling me stupid by referencing you comprehension gained from said degree.  Very well done. 

No, I said I am better at business because I have a liberal arts degree. For me personally, it has been more beneficial than a business degree would have been.

I also have data to prove that, in my field, I'm better than people with business degrees. That doesn't mean I'm better than every person who has ever gotten a business degree. 

54 minutes ago, OLDIUFAN said:

The best business man I know never went to college! He built his own business up and is worth I am assuming around 50 m. So just saying. 

There are millions of examples for all sides.  No higher education, those who graduated from Harvard Business school and those with degrees in basket weaving who because uber successful business people.   Intelligence, timing, luck, training, and intuition all in come into it.  

6 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah, it all depends on what you do. I sell enterprise software (6 and 7 figure deals to large companies, usually dealing with their C-Suite) and I'm much better off because I have a well-rounded education. 

If I was in finance or probably even operations? I'd have been better off going to KSOB, IMO. 

Eh I’m in operations. There’s nothing I can’t teach you in 3 weeks to make you a successful supervisor.  The rest would take some time to learn but probably faster to do in industry than studying 

52 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

There's a big difference between being a supervisor and being a leader...

And it’s hard to find a true leader with out a class titled “Getting Dressed.”

(Real class offered for freshman at Princeton about the significance communication thru dress)

32 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

I can’t stop thinking about the fact the tournament will be in the state of Indiana completely this year and this team likely won’t be playing.  That just says so much to me about why a change needs to be made. Fans will be allowed, who wouldn’t be hyped for that.

So you would think differently if the tournament wasn't in Indiana. To me that had nothing to do with whether or not we should keep Archie.

Archived