It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I will admit when I am wrong but I am right about TJD and player development.  I also go by what I hear from former players who have said pretty much the same about player development.  Leary even said he doesn't think race is that much better but he id getting a lot more minutes and that is the cause for his numbers going up.  I think franklin has improved skill wise but a lot of the other players have the same skill se that they had when they got here.

Listen to the Brian Evans interview on Hoosier Hysterics...in a nut shell he hasnt seen any improvement...said TJD scoring is up because he takes 20 shots a game...said guard play is why he couldnt be a coach

3 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

Fife seems like a guy you hire when a legend retires and the program is in a good place. I don’t think IU can afford to take a chance on a guy like Fife right now. They need a proven winner. 

Agreed. Or if your coach leaves suddenly and your first seven options turn you down. You don’t fire a coach, pay a big buyout, and then hire Fife

3 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

Fife seems like a guy you hire when a legend retires and the program is in a good place. I don’t think IU can afford to take a chance on a guy like Fife right now. They need a proven winner. 

This is what I am thinking as well. There is a chance Fife would do really well here, and I would root for him, but he would be much less proven than Archie was. I think if IU makes a change they need to hire a Scott Drew type who has proven he can win in the power five. That being said, I won't be shocked if IU hires Fife.

2 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

This is what I am thinking as well. There is a chance Fife would do really well here, and I would root for him, but he would be much less proven than Archie was. I think if IU makes a change they need to hire a Scott Drew type who has proven he can win in the power five. That being said, I won't be shocked if IU hires Fife.

It would be a very IU thing to think, “hey if we can hire Fife for $2M a year, that would help offset Archie’s buyout “

4 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

If they make a move this year, it would be to hire a guy like Fife (cheap). That being said, he'll be available next year too (unless Izzo retires). 

1 minute ago, DC2345 said:

He was looking down towards whoever was in the middle of the huddle during the TO. If it wasn't Archie then it was another coach. He yelled at the bench before the TO because he didn't like the play call. He was mad at the coaches. Even AJ Guyton said on twitter he was yelling at the staff. 

If true.....recipe for disaster.

If the administration does move on from CAM after this season, which I find incredibly unlikely, then I would be fine with Fife if the other obvious targets are pursued first. The reality is that there really aren't that many "sure thing" coaches that are actual viable options, and I personally don't see any of them maybe except Drew saying yes to us. So if it's between Fife and another up and coming mid major coach, I think I'd rather just see it go to Fife. If nothing else, it will quiet down the crowd demanding we need an Indiana guy which I personally think is absolutely ridiculous.

Surprised I don't see more love for Cheaney as a candidate on here, but maybe I skim these posts too hard.

Had fantastic success as an assistant at SLU, has ran the gambit of college program positions (including a nice tenure of Dir. Basketball Operations at IU), currently an assistant with the Pacers, and obviously a renowned Hoosier who knows the culture and standards that should withstand here more than anyone.

We have a cultural problem that has metastasized into an apathy and losing problem. If a big marquee name isn't coming to IU (and they aren't), culture should be the #1 priority in the next coach. I cannot think of a larger cultural shift than taking the worst offense in modern college basketball history and giving the reins to the all time leading Big Ten scorer.

13 minutes ago, Bushmage said:

Surprised I don't see more love for Cheaney as a candidate on here, but maybe I skim these posts too hard.

Had fantastic success as an assistant at SLU, has ran the gambit of college program positions (including a nice tenure of Dir. Basketball Operations at IU), currently an assistant with the Pacers, and obviously a renowned Hoosier who knows the culture and standards that should withstand here more than anyone.

We have a cultural problem that has metastasized into an apathy and losing problem. If a big marquee name isn't coming to IU (and they aren't), culture should be the #1 priority in the next coach. I cannot think of a larger cultural shift than taking the worst offense in modern college basketball history and giving the reins to the all time leading Big Ten scorer.

No head coaching experience, but would love to have him on the staff.  BIG all time leading scorer is got some pull with players I’d say.

13 minutes ago, Bushmage said:

It's a nice thought but honestly I don't want to see anymore mid-major coaches, unproven coaches or what have you.  Hire a proven winner at a high major level.  It's the only way this program ever moves up imo.

4 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

No head coaching experience, but would love to have him on the staff.  BIG all time leading scorer is got some pull with players I’d say.

That's fair, but to argue your point I would point out Juwan Howard has 0 prior coaching experience and is crushing it with Michigan. Sure he inherited a great program, but if he wasn't a good hire they don't stay in the top 5 like they have with an outstanding future in recruiting. It's entirely possible to hire a great head coach that has not had prior experience -- albeit more unlikely than likely.

If we are able to hire a proven, marquee guy then I would reiterate to forget what I'm saying and absolutely go that route. But if the climate isn't great for who might be interested in us, I think we should warm up to guys like Cheaney.

1 minute ago, Bushmage said:

That's fair, but to argue your point I would point out Juwan Howard has 0 prior coaching experience and is crushing it with Michigan. Sure he inherited a great program, but if he wasn't a good hire they don't stay in the top 5 like they have with an outstanding future in recruiting. It's entirely possible to hire a great head coach that has not had prior experience -- albeit more unlikely than likely.

To be fair, Howard's name carries more weight than Cheaney, as he played in the NBA much longer, played with Lebron, was part of the Fab 5, was a 1x all star, etc.  Cheaney's name resonates with IU fans, but not much more than that.  IU, imo, does not need an IU guy and should avoid that route.  Would be great for nostalgic purposes for fans, a cheap pop, but wouldn't move the needle.  This used to be a big time program, it needs to get back to carrying itself that way and hire a big time, proven winner.  Just my 2 cents.

5 minutes ago, Bushmage said:

If we are able to hire a proven, marquee guy then I would reiterate to forget what I'm saying and absolutely go that route. But if the climate isn't great for who might be interested in us, I think we should warm up to guys like Cheaney.

Juwan was also interviewing for nba head coaching jobs. I think it's cool to say you play for Juwan Howard. Everyone knows who he is from the fab 5. I don't think Calbert carries the same weight with kids these days as Juwan. Plus Calbert wasn't even sitting on the bench for most Pacers games until recently so I don't know how big of a role he plays as an assistant coach right now. 

24 minutes ago, Bushmage said:

i go right back to no college head coaching experience.

10 minutes ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

It's a nice thought but honestly I don't want to see anymore mid-major coaches, unproven coaches or what have you.  Hire a proven winner at a high major level.  It's the only way this program ever moves up imo.

It is easy to say hire a winner at a high major but the hard part is getting those guys to leave their high major job.

Just now, IU Scott said:

It is easy to say hire a winner at a high major but the hard part is getting those guys to leave their high major job.

That's very true but worth a shot.  Out of the list of coaches (everyone's list is pretty similar, so we'll use that as the base), one of those would absolutely take a loaded offer from IU imo.  Won't be Stevens, Donovan or Few but very well could be a Drew, Beilein, Matta or one of the other couple of names mentioned.

6 minutes ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

To be fair, Howard's name carries more weight than Cheaney, as he played in the NBA much longer, played with Lebron, was part of the Fab 5, was a 1x all star, etc.  Cheaney's name resonates with IU fans, but not much more than that.  IU, imo, does not need an IU guy and should avoid that route.  Would be great for nostalgic purposes for fans, a cheap pop, but wouldn't move the needle.  This used to be a big time program, it needs to get back to carrying itself that way and hire a big time, proven winner.  Just my 2 cents.

Agreed on all fronts. Hopefully we can still get a proven winner. I think I'm mentally preparing myself for that to not be the case.

Archived