It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

20 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

Just got a text saying that barring a big ten tournament championship Archie is done. I guess we won’t have to wait long if it’s true..

Edit- also stated it will be a mutual decision so the buyout may not be as big of an issue as we thought.

🤷🏼‍♂️

So theoretically, Archie knows? He'd have to for it to be a mutual decision...And he'd leave that chunk of money on the table?

If that's the case, then he's already been talking with other suitors...

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, IUFLA said:

So theoretically, Archie knows? He'd have to for it to be a mutual decision...And he'd leave that chunk of money on the table?

If that's the case, then he's already been talking with other suitors...

Possible he isn’t leaving a chunk. What if he stuck feelers out and had a team in place OR just really confident and just wanted OUT and they offered a single payment buyout to give him a chunk all at once and save face and money for IU?

idk thinking out loud

1 minute ago, BADGERVOL said:

Possible he isn’t leaving a chunk. What if he stuck feelers out and had a team in place OR just really confident and just wanted OUT and they offered a single payment buyout to give him a chunk all at once and save face and money for IU?

idk thinking out loud

This is exactly right from what I was told. I’m honestly surprised he’s having his radio show tonight.  Figured they’d be done after this news

4 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

This is exactly right from what I was told. I’m honestly surprised he’s having his radio show tonight.  Figured they’d be done after this news

I got laughed at on another forum for saying that when the season ends the AD should approach him about a negotiated buyout.  They said why would he walk away from all that money.  My thought was that if the money was really an issue and they kept him around another year just to fire him anyway that he was looking at $6.5 to 7 million from the buyout and salary that he earns over the next year.  So why not make an offer to get him that money up front and get him out the door?

Also, from Miller's perspective, if it is going to be the transfer wild wild west, getting a job ASAP may help him land on his feet quicker and rebound faster.  So it may be a win/win for everyone.

I'm starting to think that the Knight return could be what helps broker Beard to Indiana.  I know there have been things said about Beard staying close to his daughters in Texas but if Beard is so close with the Knight family (which he has said himself), i could see Pat helping make it happen.

2 minutes ago, labeck81 said:

I'm starting to think that the Knight return could be what helps broker Beard to Indiana.  I know there have been things said about Beard staying close to his daughters in Texas but if Beard is so close with the Knight family (which he has said himself), i could see Pat helping make it happen.

My worry even if Beard comes here when the job at UT comes open he would bolt in a second

18 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

it's a must listen tonight - his tone after the last 2 games has shifted significantly...curious how he sounds tonight.

8 minutes ago, labeck81 said:

That would be PERFECT

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

Yeah.  Honestly I'd rather bring back Crean.  Cheaney is my all time favorite IU player but he'd be a disaster as coach. 

I don't think anyone knows how anyone will be as a coach.  It comes down to right fit.  No one can predict.  If Calbert never favored recruiting, which some have said, no he would not be the right fit.  If he wants to go after it recruiting....why not a good fit?

Archie might kill it somewhere else where his personality fits.  

5 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

dang.  i replied after seeing the first Cheaney post.  people are really starting to embrace that idea?  

You do that then you have to bring an experience HC in to be an assistant.  I liked the idea if Brey gets fired at ND he would be a good fit.

3 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

I don't think anyone knows how anyone will be as a coach.  It comes down to right fit.  No one can predict.  If Calbert never favored recruiting, which some have said, no he would not be the right fit.  If he wants to go after it recruiting....why not a good fit?

Archie might kill it somewhere else where his personality fits.  

i agree with all that other than we are not in a position to hand the keys to a guy who has never been a college head coach and hope we strike gold.  we should be able to do better than that.  

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You do that then you have to bring an experience HC in to be an assistant.  I liked the idea if Brey gets fired at ND he would be a good fit.

again, i like the idea of these dream match-ups, but i have to think it is very very rare.  people say Howard didn't know Martelli well i guess.  that is one example.  otherwise, can you really see our admin going to Calbert and saying, "Okay, we'll hire you as the head coach. but you need someone who has more experience than you on your staff, so we have decided to hire Mike Brey as your assistant/mentor?"  i just don't see it.  and then also, "We want you to hire IU alum as your other assistants."  

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i agree with all that other than we are not in a position to hand the keys to a guy who has never been a college head coach and hope we strike gold.  we should be able to do better than that.  

I hope we can get someone that instantly brings in a breakthrough recruit and creates a brand and identity.  An established coach is always a good idea.  But, we can't ignore the sucess Michigan is having.  Part of their model is that they have a long time head coach on the bench as an assistant.  Something to explore.  Got to get creative to restore IU basketball.  Got to make it cool again and establish a winning culture.

Archived