It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

We’ll burn that bridge when we come to it...

Then you put in an exclusive clause that raises the buyout if he goes there. That is what Texas Tech has. It would cost Texas a fortune to try to buy him out. Some have whole conference buyouts where anyone in the same conference raises the buyout.

Just now, dgambill said:

Then you put in an exclusive clause that raises the buyout if he goes there. That is what Texas Tech has. It would cost Texas a fortune to try to buy him out. Some have whole conference buyouts where anyone in the same conference raises the buyout.

Yes.  Exactly what Glass did with Moren and Purdue. 

7 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

again, i like the idea of these dream match-ups, but i have to think it is very very rare.  people say Howard didn't know Martelli well i guess.  that is one example.  otherwise, can you really see our admin going to Calbert and saying, "Okay, we'll hire you as the head coach. but you need someone who has more experience than you on your staff, so we have decided to hire Mike Brey as your assistant/mentor?"  i just don't see it.  and then also, "We want you to hire IU alum as your other assistants."  

I am not saying this would be my preference and another former coach I would look at would be former Belmont coach Rick Byrd.  I know he retired and probably wouldn't want to come back as an assistant but I loved watching his teams play.

47 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So theoretically, Archie knows? He'd have to for it to be a mutual decision...And he'd leave that chunk of money on the table?

If that's the case, then he's already been talking with other suitors...

Or Archie might take a year off to cool down. Looks like he needs some time off to regroup. Crean did it too. 

3 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

So we should hope for a magical run by smart this year.  

6 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Texas is currently top 15, so even if they think Beard is better than Smart and has a better long term value, it'd be hard to let Smart go after this season. 

I honestly don’t think Smart is a bad coach. He recruits well and it’s taken a bit to get his program rolling but I think they are not far away from making a final four. With the right bracket I could see an elite 8. If they dropped him I’d snatch him up in a minute. Not a bad consolation prize if we miss out on the big fish.

52 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

My worry even if Beard comes here when the job at UT comes open he would bolt in a second

IMO, this is where IU has possibly an edge against a school like Texas. Obviously, Beard has to have that personality that he doesn't mind (or in fact enjoys) tons of attention. As soon as he takes his team to FF at IU, he'd become a king in the state of Indiana. In Texas, it's not happening. He works his butt off and takes his team to FF. He'll get a nice pat on the back, and then the next day people will talk about football. If IU offers competitive level of compensation, it'd be hard for a successful coach to leave unless he has aspiration to be in the NBA. 

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I honestly don’t think Smart is a bad coach. He recruits well and it’s taken a bit to get his program rolling but I think they are not far away from making a final four. With the right bracket I could see an elite 8. If they dropped him I’d snatch him up in a minute. Not a bad consolation prize if we miss out on the big fish.

He recruits well but it rarely translates to production on the court.  This is the first year he’s done well and he’s in 5th place in a decent, not great, big 12.

17 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Smart has had some good fighting teams. I would also gladly welcome him.

45 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

I hope we can get someone that instantly brings in a breakthrough recruit and creates a brand and identity.  An established coach is always a good idea.  But, we can't ignore the sucess Michigan is having.  Part of their model is that they have a long time head coach on the bench as an assistant.  Something to explore.  Got to get creative to restore IU basketball.  Got to make it cool again and establish a winning culture.

You mean getting Romeo....the most sought after recruit since Cody, Gordon or Bailey didn't do it for you? We'll never know after his hand injury. Always something with our timing I guess.

4 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

He recruits well but it rarely translates to production on the court.  This is the first year he’s done well and he’s in 5th place in a decent, not great, big 12.

We have to be careful that when we sick this bad we don’t buy and plant an apple tree when we want to grow a peach tree.

I don’t want to end up with Crean 2.0 and then be back with a coach who’s good enough not to fire and bad enough to never reach our ceiling.

20 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

You mean getting Romeo....the most sought after recruit since Cody, Gordon or Bailey didn't do it for you? We'll never know after his hand injury. Always something with our timing I guess.

Romeo is one of the most unappreciated, under-used talents in my IU fanhood history. The kid was a game changer and made an impact and spent alot of his time standing in the corner based on the coaches schematic.  

Even with a hand injury, he was special.  That team had many pros.  Two NBA kids in Morgan and Langford and a future oversees pro in Green.

30 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I think the top of the Big 12 is every bit as good as the B1G. I don’t think we would finish ahead of Baylor, WV, TT, Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma or Oklahoma St. Sure it falls off after that but we got waxed by Shaka and his Longhorns earlier this year. Is Shaka my first choice...no but would I take him over Archie. Sure would.

6 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Romeo is one of the most unappreciated, under-used talents in my IU fanhood history. The kid was a game changer and made an impact and spent alot of his time standing in the corner based on the coaches schematic.  

Even with a hand injury, he was special.  That team had many pros.  Two NBA kids in Morgan and Langford and a future oversees pro in Green.

i would have LOVED to see Romeo play a season with a non-dysfunctional team.

32 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

We have to be careful that when we sick this bad we don’t buy and plant an apple tree when we want to grow a peach tree.

I don’t want to end up with Crean 2.0 and then be back with a coach who’s good enough not to fire and bad enough to never reach our ceiling.

Well Crean was better than what we have now. I’m willing to roll that dice. If Mike Davis can take us to a championship game then why not Shaka Smart. (Not my first pick) heck I’d take Davis over Miller. At least kids enjoyed playing for him and he knew enough to know what he didn’t know. 

10 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

It's still heart breaking that Romeo-Juwan combo was wasted. 

Archived