It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

if Archie is back, we really think he'll ditch the packline D?  i would doubt it.  most college coaches don't just abandon their defensive philosophy.  i also still don't see it as our big problem.  our defense isn't bad.  i venture to say we should worry more about our offense.  

Oh if Archie is back we won't ditch it. I just don't think he will be back. 

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

if Archie is back, we really think he'll ditch the packline D?  i would doubt it.  most college coaches don't just abandon their defensive philosophy.  i also still don't see it as our big problem.  our defense isn't bad.  i venture to say we should worry more about our offense.  

Our defense is horrible this year. Before MSU our defensive efficiency was rated 11th in the B1G in in-conference play. (not sure what it is now). Every team has a 'hot night' against us: one or 2 nights is a fluke, almost every night is a trend. 

35 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Thanks for the link. After reading that, it seems like he could handle the pressure of the IU job.

These few quotes have me excited about the possibility of Drew (one of which you alluded to liking in your post):

Drew was undaunted. Playing from way behind and unwilling to take as long to rebuild as most people expected, he embarked on a two-pronged recruiting strategy: players and donors. He relentlessly attacked both, speaking to every Baylor alumni group he could find and chasing on-court talent everywhere.

Donations were raised to buy a golf cart for whisking recruits around campus. More money was raised for a smoked-glass door in the locker room, in hopes of trying to make it look better. (“We had nothing else to sell,” Driscoll said.) Finally, a donor was lined up to remodel the whole locker room, which freed up the staff to get more creative in other areas.

Recruiting players and donors would be great at IU. If we are mid-pack Big Ten facilities, maybe he can help change that.

Along the way, a guy known for his zone defense threw that out and has played man-to-man almost the entire season. Drew simply believed his current personnel—shorter, more athletic—is better suited to man than zone. The decision has proved prescient; this is the best defensive team Drew has ever had.

Making adjustment to personnel has been sorely lacking in Archie's tenure.

Eventually, Drew altered his recruiting approach—he chased fewer five-stars and more developmental prospects who competed with a hunger that helped compensate for any lack of talent. He combed the transfer market for players who would fit his program. He embraced the new roster management mantra for college basketball success in the one-and-done era: get old and stay old.

Chasing the right talent instead of the best talent. Making the get old stay old mantra actually work

At first glance, I thought it said raise money for a golf cart for whiskey. I was so intrigued and impressed I had to go back to verify. So glad it’s Friday, I think my brain needs a drink.

I just want Saturday to be over with already so we can have a better idea of whether for sure he will be back or not, ha...I’m not necessarily trying to shove him out the door, but it’d be nice to know other than being based off hope or the talk that has started to circulate. Some think he’s for sure gonna be gone, others think (mostly articles) that the buyout will prevent it. I’m in the group that thinks the buyout shouldn’t matter.
  Insider on the other board said he was told about 4 games ago that the only way Archie wouldn’t be back was if he lost the last 5 games. Said he thinks that has now changed at this point after losing 4 in a row and that both sides want a change.

11 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

I just want Saturday to be over with already so we can have a better idea of whether for sure he will be back or not, ha...I’m not necessarily trying to shove him out the door, but it’d be nice to know other than being based off hope or the talk that has started to circulate. Some think he’s for sure gonna be gone, others think (mostly articles) that the buyout will prevent it. I’m in the group that thinks the buyout shouldn’t matter.
  Insider on the other board said he was told about 4 games ago that the only way Archie wouldn’t be back was if he lost the last 5 games. Said he thinks that has now changed at this point after losing 4 in a row and that both sides want a change.

Which “other” board are you talking about?

Just now, IUwins0708 said:

Gotcha.  Was just curious because it aligns with what I was told as well.

Ok nice! I was just about to ask if he was for sure someone who’s stance on things are legit, which they seem to have been....so I guess if you’re hearing the same things then that kinda clears that up. Thanks 

Same guy just said he has heard discussions about even if we lose next two games, the department getting cold feet and he be back next year. That would go against a change wanting to be made obviously, so who knows. I’m def not going to doubt any known insider from any board because I surely know you all know way more than me. Info is greatly appreciated. If at this point it’s up in the air like that, I’m sure actually knowing the next two games are for sure lost will make for some easier decisions. I just figured we have already reached a point where we need the change.

Edit: I’m only posting this because I respect his word and am just passing along info I see on other sites. 

So at this point, all we know is that next season we will deffinately have a coach and there's a 100% chance it may or may not be Archie Miller??? 🤣🤣

@IUrocker, @IUwins0708, @CoachSS and anyone else sharing things they have heard or been told, please keep sharing!  I fully understand things are more fluid than the level of the White River right now and will change often.  I/we all appreciate it!! 😃👍

1 minute ago, 3Ballin said:

So at this point, all we know is that next season we will deffinately have a coach and there's a 100% chance it may or may not be Archie Miller??? 🤣🤣

@IUrocker, @IUwins0708, @CoachSS and anyone else sharing things they have heard or been told, please keep sharing!  I fully understand things are more fluid than the level of the White River right now and will change often.  I/we all appreciate it!! 😃👍

I think the mixed signals indicate the discussion being had.  There is a pull between the finances and the reality that if the finances were normal (i.e. a non COVID year, he'd be gone.)

So depending on where you fall, either decision may look like a no brainer.  You can't eat that much money if the school lost as much as is being discussed.  You also can't keep a guy with Miller's record around.  Both sides have a somewhat valid argument.  And that will lead to winds blowing in all directions.

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I think the mixed signals indicate the discussion being had.  There is a pull between the finances and the reality that if the finances were normal (i.e. a non COVID year, he'd be gone.)

So depending on where you fall, either decision may look like a no brainer.  You can't eat that much money if the school lost as much as is being discussed.  You also can't keep a guy with Miller's record around.  Both sides have a somewhat valid argument.  And that will lead to winds blowing in all directions.

Yup, i know.  In no way meant to be a dig at any of our members in the know.  Just a light hearted comment at how often the ebs n flows change.

12 hours ago, John S said:

Ok. In order to spice up the discussion on possible replacements.   Brian “Dutch” Dutcher, head coach of San Diego St Aztecs.  Mtn West Conf, like Alford at Nevada.  Dutchers 4-yr record is 93-30. He is Minn grad, son of former Big Ten coach, and was a long time asst coach under Steve Fischer.  Highly reputed as teacher, coach and recruiter.  He doesnt have the polish in front of cameras like the Alfords of the world.  But he is genuine blue collar type of leader.   Too bad he’s 60 already, and probably loves Aztec program and warm weather. Almost forgot to mention that he co recruited Kawhi Leornard.  Dutch is paid less than half of Archie.    

Nice thought, but he's not leaving SoCal

Two years later, Fisher called him. “I’m being introduced tomorrow as the coach at San Diego State,” he said. “I want you to come with me and promise you’ll stay three years.”

Twenty-two years later, Dutcher is still there. “I guess I lived up to the commitment,” he said. “I’m not sure I would have lasted as an assistant for that long in the same place in, say, Laramie, Wyoming — God bless Laramie, Wyoming — but San Diego is paradise. Steve and I were both Midwesterners, and when we got out here, neither one of us had any thought about leaving or going back.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/03/03/brian-dutcher-san-diego-state-aztecs/

On 3/3/2021 at 6:56 PM, dbmhoosier said:

The hurdle, as always, is the Indiana Administration.  It's an enormous hurdle.

Sounds like they are still in weakling, wishy-washy mode.   I don’t want an uninspired choice made here.  Maybe if they bring Archie back, they will see the fever pitched rage of some people on one hand and complete and total apathy by other people.  They are likely totally underestimating that dynamic.  At that point maybe they will be forced to do the right thing.  

In another year McRobbie will be gone although we have no confidence that they can hire a problem solver.  So that might not help.  

When Archie separates from us, I want them to make a very aggressive, inspired move.   I’m not sensing the mood for that right now.  If that’s the case, let Archie do his thing for one more year.  

7 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Sounds like they are still in weakling, wishy-washy mode.   I don’t want an uninspired choice made here.  Maybe if they bring Archie back, they will see the fever pitched rage of some people on one hand and complete and total apathy by other people.  They are likely totally underestimating that dynamic.  At that point maybe they will be forced to do the right thing.  

In another year McRobbie will be gone although we have no confidence that they can hire a problem solver.  So that might not help.  

When Archie separates from us, I want them to make a very aggressive, inspired move.   I’m not sensing the mood for that right now.  If that’s the case, let Archie do his thing for one more year.  

Any rumors on who the next President will be?  Surely they aren't stupid enough to promote from within again.  We need to find our Mitch Daniels.

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

Any rumors on who the next President will be?  Surely they aren't stupid enough to promote from within again.  We need to find our Mitch Daniels.

No, but I look to you for the intel on that!   I know you were worried about an internal hire who would be more of the same.  

1 hour ago, 3Ballin said:

Has CoachSS posted anything on here about  the coaching situation? I haven't seen anything from him in a long time. I hope he is doing well and I appreciate everything him and all the other insider's bring to the board.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The thing is if they bring back Archie and no extension it will kill recruiting for the 202 class.  What player will want to commit to IU not knowing about what is going on with the coaching situation.

Cool. Then let’s extend him 3 more years then fire him next year even more on the hole and go after a bargain hire because of it.

IU at its finest. :)

39 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Has CoachSS posted anything on here about  the coaching situation? I haven't seen anything from him in a long time. I hope he is doing well and I appreciate everything him and all the other insider's bring to the board.

Not sure?  I know he's gotten beat up pretty bad in the past when things didnt pan out the way his info was leanin toward so i justed wanted to tag him as well as sort of a nod to him to let him know his contributions are appreciated on here.

To anyone that us common folk on here perk up for when they speak, i know there are more than the 3 i tagged earlier so please know we all appreciate all of you as well!

Archived