It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I think he would have to go massive into the transfer market. Like bring in 3-4 in addition to Stewart. If he's back by some chance, he can't rely on adding more freshmen. He's need to sell playing time and opportunity to guys that also only have a year left to play. 

He absolutely needs to go to the transfer market, and he needs to be willing to make room if necessary.  Izzo said that his players were playing for the scholarship, and that planting of a flag by Izzo may very well lead them to the tourney when they were in a worse position than we were.  I believe that this would be the type of thing that IU administration would not approve of. 

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like Tier 1 of realistic candidates is Beard and Drew. 

Tier 2 would be Mack and Musselman. 

I don't really see a scenario where we get a guy outside of that quality. This isn't a bad spot to be. I'm not sure the Tier 2 quality guys can win a title, but maybe with the resources IU does have and the right things coming together they can. At any rate, I'd expect to consistently be top 5 in conference with guys of that caliber. 

13 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Moses Abraham.  i think it was longer

I remember how optimistic this board was about the future.  Nobody thought that Moses would lead us to the promised land, it was just the fun of building a program step by step.  

I’d be cool with Mack. He wins, and has done it a bigger stage then many of the other names being mentioned. If you look at his record he has only missed the tournament once as a head coach, which was also the only season he won fewer then 20 games. 

Success in the NCAA tournament, which we all crave, requires consistent chances year in and year out which he would give us.

Please, please, please just not Enfield.

Just now, T-Free20 said:

Is Mack even a realistic option? If so, how would you compare him to Scott Drew?

There is a poster on another site who claims that Mack’s agent has let IU know that he would listen to a pitch. Some have suggested that he wants to escape the NCAA cloud that hangs over the program.

If it was known since Friday that the money has been raised for the buyout, then it certainly lines up with there being a BoT meeting with members of the athletic department today. Could be discussions of “ok, we’ve got the money, let’s talk about who we’re going to go after and what it will cost.” 

More on Mack, if he is in fact a realistic option:

Has made the NCAA tournament 9 of a possible 10 years. Will make it again this year and would have last year, too. 

Has made it to the second weekend 4 times out of 9 trips, with only 3 first round losses. 2 of those 3 came in his early days at X. 

Knows the region very well and knows how to win at a high pressure basketball school. 

I'm not sure if he is the best we can do or not, but if he is our floor then we are in a great spot. 

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Has made the NCAA tournament 9 of a possible 10 years. Will make it again this year and would have last year, too. 

Has made it to the second weekend 4 times out of 9 trips, with only 3 first round losses. 2 of those 3 came in his early days at X. 

Knows the region very well and knows how to win at a high pressure basketball school. 

I'm not sure if he is the best we can do or not, but if he is our floor then we are in a great spot. 

Agree. It's an interesting name. Obviously he has solid high major experience, which is something I think IU needs. He had good success at Xavier largely, and has solidified Louisville. 

I don't think he's a home run and it's a little concerning that Louisville fans seem to be ok with him leaving, but I like the ties to the region and the experience. IU shouldn't be overwhelming due to his experience at Louisville and the ACC. 

If he's the floor, then that is a good sign. 

2 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:
  • Brad Stevens
  • Billy Donovan

Are not coming to IU. Both have been successful in the NBA (no recruiting/NCAA BS and more $$$). The only way they become available is if they have a fall from grace in the NBA. Either way, I'd assume coaches like this call YOU to let you know they're interested. 

The uniform stuff I just don't think matters and if it does, it's semi-counter to:  I want to feel like the team cares at least as much as I used to. 

I think IU just needs a coach that has done it a high level, not in a smaller conference. But that's my take. 

I know they aren’t realistic. I’m just trying to track who is mentioned regardless of if it could or should happen. 

Just now, BGleas said:

Agree. It's an interesting name. Obviously he has solid high major experience, which is something I think IU needs. He had good success at Xavier largely, and has solidified Louisville. 

I don't think he's a home run and it's a little concerning that Louisville fans seem to ok with him leaving, but I like the ties to the region and the experience. IU shouldn't be overwhelming due to his experience at Louisville and the ACC. 

If he's the floor, then that is a good sign. 

I agree about the UL fans, but at the same time he is replacing a top 10 coach of all time there. He doesn't have those same shoes to fill at IU. 

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

At least a heck of a lot BETTER spot lol

thanks for the intel

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

I agree about the UL fans, but at the same time he is replacing a top 10 coach of all time there. He doesn't have those same shoes to fill at IU. 

Imagine we grab Mack and then Lousiville goes out and replaces him with Beard or someone we have higher on our list as fans. 

18 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Seems like Tier 1 of realistic candidates is Beard and Drew. 

Tier 2 would be Mack and Musselman. 

I don't really see a scenario where we get a guy outside of that quality. This isn't a bad spot to be. I'm not sure the Tier 2 quality guys can win a title, but maybe with the resources IU does have and the right things coming together they can. At any rate, I'd expect to consistently be top 5 in conference with guys of that caliber. 

I'm still not convinced that Mack is realistic...but I wouldn't be upset with him if it is true he has some interest. I would list it as:

Tier one: Stevens (I know, I know), Beard, Drew.

I think all of those are great hires who could win it all/restore greatness to Hoosier Nation.

Tier 2: Mack

I think he could potentially be really good but not quite as proven as Tier 1...but I think his floor is higher than other options and he has less risk

Tier 3: Musselman

I'm not convinced of him, but he might be good. Just more of a gamble than I would like to see IU take.

Tier 4: Dane Fife

High risk/high reward. I just can't see the donors ponying up the $$ for Fife, but I don't rule him out either.

*I would put Matta/Beilen in between tier 2/3 due to age/various concerns about back etc.

Archived