It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

8 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

So.... How many of you guys (and gals), think Justin Smith is gettin' the last laugh? Raise your hands......  Looks like he knew something when he decided to transfer? I see where his team could be a #3 seed. And he will get to play in the Dance, while his teammates will be doing something else this Spring.....

giphy (6).gif

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

So.... How many of you guys (and gals), think Justin Smith is gettin' the last laugh? Raise your hands......  Looks like he knew something when he decided to transfer? I see where his team could be a #3 seed. And he will get to play in the Dance, while his teammates will be doing something else this Spring.....

Happy for him, but I think he’s mature enough to actually cheer for his old pals.  His dad?  Maybe not.  

I’d say Dakich knows a lot  more about coaching than we do. Unfortunately he tries to act like he is Bobby Knight . It rubs people the wrong way, because his record as a coach was awful. Dan was taught by one of the all time greatest coaches. I think he’s mostly right about Archie and his staff.  Do I love his arrogance? No, but he would be a heck of an assistant coach at a major university. However, The part that I disagree with him the most is the fact that he wanted Alford as our coach.  I’d say he is better than what we have now, but long term, not a great option.

2 hours ago, Bustout said:

If Dolson is telling Archie that he’s putting feelers out there, I don’t think they are on the same page.

Archie likes this job. Wants to succeed here.   He doesn’t want to quit.  

How do you  know this for sure? To me, Archie seems more frustrated lately than I've ever seen him and almost has a look of despair on his face at times. I don't think he is a quitter by nature but maybe he himself is even having doubts on whether he can turn it around here and be able to meet the expectations set forth by Glass when he was hired. 

2 hours ago, DC2345 said:

The head coaching record isn't what it's made out to be. When he was at Bowling Green he lost his best player like 5 of the years he was the coach too. At IU or another power 5 school you should be able to overcome that to an extent. At a MAC level school that is much harder to do. You have to look at the X's and O's and things like that to better evaluate but I have a gut feeling you don't know much about what he did in that department so you shouldn't be hating based on an overall record. 

Kind of ironic making excuses for Dan's coaching record in a thread about firing Archie for his.

33 minutes ago, DunkinDipo said:

How do you  know this for sure? To me, Archie seems more frustrated lately than I've ever seen him and almost has a look of despair on his face at times. I don't think he is a quitter by nature but maybe he himself is even having doubts on whether he can turn it around here and be able to meet the expectations set forth by Glass when he was hired. 

I mean. I guess I don’t. But he knows exactly what the coach of IU entails - good and bad.  He knew what he was getting himself into.   He always comments about the fan base and how great they are.   I don’t see him quitting.  

13 minutes ago, Bustout said:

I don’t get the sense at all he would leave this job behind voluntarily - that’s just me. 

He knows he's in over his head and won't be here long term. But he can't just walk away from that buyout.  I can almost assure you that his agent is making calls.  

2 hours ago, Bustout said:

I think Dolson will look at the record, obviously, but also progress.  Does he feel the program is moving in the right direction.  For instance, if they are 5th in B1G next year and S16 ... that may be good enough in a vacuum, but that is year 5.  You can’t forget the first 4 years. Plus, Archie will need probably an extension/restructure after next anyway - so Dolson will need to evaluate everything and where the ship is headed.  

Let’s say Archie brings in 3 new coaches, new offense next year, 4 new kids, 2022 and 2023 recruiting starts hitting ... that could change things.   

If there are minimal changes and the offense is garbage again, he’s probably gone.  

Here's my concern in keeping him because again there are so many layers to this. Let's say we keep him and things start off looking promising,etc...do you think the 2022 recruits will say yes at that point? What happens if we fade,etc....those 2022 recruits would go elsewhere. 

Not saying its "the" factor...but it's a concern. Especially the 2 up in NW Indiana/Chicagoland area. If we make a move now a new coach would have plenty of time to make up on 2022 recruits. If we wait....might not be enough time. 

19 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

He knows he's in over his head and won't be here long term. But he can't just walk away from that buyout.  I can almost assure you that his agent is making calls.  

I really don’t get the sense he feels that way.  I sense he thinks he can do this job well still and is confident in his abilities. 

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Here's my concern in keeping him because again there are so many layers to this. Let's say we keep him and things start off looking promising,etc...do you think the 2022 recruits will say yes at that point? What happens if we fade,etc....those 2022 recruits would go elsewhere. 

Not saying its "the" factor...but it's a concern. Especially the 2 up in NW Indiana/Chicagoland area. If we make a move now a new coach would have plenty of time to make up on 2022 recruits. If we wait....might not be enough time. 

If things take off and look promising, that’s a good thing.  If not, he’ll get fired.    In either event, it won’t come down a couple potential recruits.     

34 minutes ago, Bustout said:

I mean. I guess I don’t. But he knows exactly what the coach of IU entails - good and bad.  He knew what he was getting himself into.   He always comments about the fan base and how great they are.   I don’t see him quitting.  

He might have thought he knew what he was getting into but I highly doubt he envisioned tying for 10th in the conference, and all that entails, in year 4. This job, so far, can’t possibly equate to what he thought he was getting into. 

The lack of success, feeling increased pressure, wondering why this isn’t working, inability to motivate the team, seeing the success of other coaches hired at the same time, recruiting losses, tons of homes losses, etc has to be getting to him and he looks miserable/lost/frustrated after games. 

4 minutes ago, Bustout said:

If things take off and look promising, that’s a good thing.  If not, he’ll get fired.    In either event, it won’t come down a couple potential recruits.     

That's my problem. Not planning for contingencies and weighing pro/con and risk analysis. Jalen Washington has already said some very nice things about IU. I'm not saying any one recruit holds a program hostage....but it's a factor not just him but the entire 2022 recruiting class.

6 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

He might have thought he knew what he was getting into but I highly doubt he envisioned tying for 10th in the conference, and all that entails, in year 4. This job, so far, can’t possibly equate to what he thought he was getting into. 

The lack of success, feeling increased pressure, wondering why this isn’t working, inability to motivate the team, seeing the success of other coaches hired at the same time, recruiting losses, tons of homes losses, etc has to be getting to him and he looks miserable/lost/frustrated after games. 

Well - I think he knew what the expectations were good or bad.  He probably didn’t anticipate 10th place year 4, but that tells me he wants to rectify it, not run from it. 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's my problem. Not planning for contingencies and weighing pro/con and risk analysis. Jalen Washington has already said some very nice things about IU. I'm not saying any one recruit holds a program hostage....but it's a factor not just him but the entire 2022 recruiting class.

I understand. Kenya is here to recruit too.  And he’s netted Stewart without a real recruiting cycle.  He could save Archie’s job if he gets the talent in here  

I’ve also said it 10 times, but if Dolson isn’t convinced Archie is the guy, this is the off-season to do it bc a coach can accelerate a rebuild by August 

1 minute ago, Bustout said:

I understand. Kenya is here to recruit too.  And he’s netted Stewart without a real recruiting cycle.  He could save Archie’s job if he gets the talent in here  

I’ve also said it 10 times, but if Dolson isn’t convinced Archie is the guy, this is the off-season to do it bc a coach can accelerate a rebuild by August 

That's where I'm at factoring all things in. If you don't think he's the guy you do it now. You can't go into next year with lame duck coach if things go wrong especially since live recruiting/visits,etc...will more than likely be happening. 

I really want Archie to work here. Still do. It's just something to consider because the last thing I want is to be in this exact situation in 12 months. 

4 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Well - I think he knew what the expectations were good or bad.  He probably didn’t anticipate 10th place year 4, but that tells me he wants to rectify it, not run from it. 

One comment somewhere in this thread talked about how coaches at this level have, and need to have, an ego to take on a job like IU’s, and all that comes with it.

I would imagine that CAM would have a similar makeup, and would want to prove the doubters wrong rather than walk away.

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

One comment somewhere in this thread talked about how coaches at this level have, and need to have, an ego to take on a job like IU’s, and all that comes with it.

I would imagine that CAM would have a similar makeup, and would want to prove the doubters wrong rather than walk away.

I agree.  Ego or not - he just doesn’t strike me as the type of guys that would quit this job.   

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's where I'm at factoring all things in. If you don't think he's the guy you do it now. You can't go into next year with lame duck coach if things go wrong especially since live recruiting/visits,etc...will more than likely be happening. 

I really want Archie to work here. Still do. It's just something to consider because the last thing I want is to be in this exact situation in 12 months. 

Yeah - that’s why I’m sure Archie is (or will) be providing Dolson his off-season plan and Dolson will be providing expectations for next season.    

It’s very possible this discussion hasn’t happened yet and may not take place until next week.   At that point in time is most likely when Dolson will make his decision. 

Archived