It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

48 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You said this...

And all I'm saying is 1 win and a pandemic, and there's no difference to the records of the 2 coaches...If we beat OSU in 2019 BTT we're in...If we don't have a pandemic in 2020, we're in...

You have to be reasonable about this...And saying that JB's record in his first 4 years was "wildly successful" as opposed to Archie's record is just not the case...

Look, I get it...And I respect the opinions of those who want him gone after the last game of the season (barring a miracle). If that's what Scott Dolson decides, then so be it...I'll get behind the next coach just like I did with this one...

But I just don't see a reasonable alternative...And I believe with all my heart that if Dolson makes a change, he's got someone in mind...

And many aren't going to like it...

You keep bringing the 1 win up.  There are a lot of coaches that would have saved their job with 1 particular win.  If Crean beat Syracuse, this thread might not have even exist.  The win didn't happen so it does not matter.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

The fact remains that Beilein’s worst year was his first, with the other coaches players.

The fact remains that Archie’s best finish was his first year, with all Crean players.

One coaches trajectory was positive and the other coaches trajectory is negative. Beilein’s trajectory was positive to the extent that in year 5 UM won the Big Ten with a 13-5 record.
While I would love for Archie to come back and win the Big Ten next year I think the  odds are better that I will wake up tomorrow morning in bed with the 4 Miss Universe finalists.

I'll say this...If bringing back Archie or letting him go rests on whether we win tonight, or any other game we play the rest of the way, then we do have the wrong AD...

I just don't think it does...

1 minute ago, aaprice14 said:

You keep bringing the 1 win up.  There are a lot of coaches that would have saved their job with 1 particular win.  If Crean beat Syracuse, this thread might not have even exist.  The win didn't happen so it does not matter.

It wasn't about the keeping a job, it was in comparison to John Beilein's record his 1st four years at Michigan...

3 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

I think he is a great guy but don’t like the results. That does not mean I hate him or am treating him badly.

Not one single person likes the current results. and i wasnt directing the treating him poorly part at you. But people were calling for his job game 3 of this year. 

5 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

TB: made the tournament years 3 and 5, NIT year four. sound somewhat familiar?

Coach K finished 3rd in the ACC at 7-7 out of 8 teams. ACC then is not what the ACC is now. 

Scott Drew: nice job cutting out the NIT in year 6

Jay Wright: was a little bit of a stretch. but i tried

ACC was a lot better back then than it is today

Just now, IUFLA said:

It wasn't about the keeping a job, it was in comparison to John Beilein's record his 1st four years at Michigan...

I think most everyone will agree that if we could take the trajectory of CAM or John Beilein, we would all pick John Beilein.  It is not as close of comparison as what you let on.  I would rather a rebuild start out slow and build. CAM rebuild is slowing down.  If it continues to slide, how much further will this set IU back?

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Biggest difference is year 4. Archie lost most of his support in year 4 when we all realized we are still basically in the position we were in when he started. Year four for JB they finished 4th in the BT. 

Year 4 sunk Archie. 

Just now, 8Bucks said:

Biggest difference is year 4. Archie lost most of his support in year 4 when we all realized we are still basically in the position we were in when he started. Year four for JB they finished 4th in the BT. 

Year 4 sunk Archie. 

I guess we'll see...

6 hours ago, Muddy River said:

I believe John had a conference record of something like 30 and 42 in his first 4 seasons at Michigan.  Would we allow him a 5th year after a start like that?

I don’t think it would take that long. He has the wins to back it up . If that’s the argument we use, then Archie needs another year . Ugh! 🤨

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Top to bottom? 

Yes because teams like NC. St and Wake Forrest were good.  Also I liked when conferences were no more than 10 teams because it was a better guide who was the best teams.  I guess I didn't pay attention to the ACC that much this year and didn't realize that Georgia tech was 4th in that conference.  GT is a very weak team and if that is the 4th best team in your conference you know it is weak.

4 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

No Way. Remove Maryland and you add FSU, VT, Louisville, Syracuse among a few others.

Totally disagree with you and I am going by how talented the teams were then.  None of those teams you mentioned would have finished in the top 5 of the ACC back then.

6 hours ago, Muddy River said:

I believe John had a conference record of something like 30 and 42 in his first 4 seasons at Michigan.  Would we allow him a 5th year after a start like that?

Yes because year 4 they finished 4th. That seems to be something so many are missing. If Archie had made a nice jump this year he would be in good shape. 

19 minutes ago, 8Bucks said:

Yes because year 4 they finished 4th. That seems to be something so many are missing. If Archie had made a nice jump this year he would be in good shape. 

Michigan's record in the Big 10 that 4th year where they finished 4th?

9-9

A .500 record in the B1G in Archie's first 4 years would have gotten you 6th, 6th, 10th, and 6th...

And we talk about "trending."

Wins in first 4 years

Beilein-10, 21, 15, 21

Miller-16, 19, 20, 12

So Archie was trending up until this year...Beilein was up and down his 1st 4...his 5th was when he REALLY started trending...

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Michigan's record that 4th year where they finished 4th?

9-9

A .500 record in the B1G in Archie's first 4 years would have gotten you 6th, 6th, 10th, and 6th...

And we talk about "trending."

Wins in first 4 years

Beilein-10, 21, 15, 21

Miller-16, 19, 20, 12

So Archie was trending up until this year...Beilein was up and down his 1st 4...his 5th was when he REALLY started trending...

Archie was trending up until this year? If we trend much higher we will soon be 14th. Beilein and Archie conference  records and finish:

JB

5-13 , 9th

9-9,  7th

7-11, 7th

9-9, 4th

Archies

9-9, 6th

8-12, 9th

9-11, 10th

7-11, 10th

18 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

No Way. Remove Maryland and you add FSU, VT, Louisville, Syracuse among a few others.

ACC 1984-85

Georgia tech was the best team and had 5 NBA players on their team. (Price, Salley, Dalrymple, Neal, Joeseph)

UNC finished 2nd in the conference and had 6 NBA players on their roster(Daugherty, Smith, Wolf, Lebo, Popson, Bucknell)

NC St. finished 3rd in the conference and had 6 NBA players on their roster(Charles, Webb, McMilliam. McQueen, Washburn, Del Negro)

Duke finished 4th in the conference and ha d4 NBA players on their roster(Dawkins, Alarie, King, Henderson) Ammaker was also one of the best PG in the country.

Maryland finished 5th in the conference and had 2 NBA players on their roster( Bias, Branch)

Clemson finished 6th on the conference with 2 NBA players on their roster( Grant, Grant)

Wake Forrest finished 7th in the conference with 3 NBA players on their roster( Bogues, Green, Rudd)

UVA finished 8th in the conference with 1 NBA player on their roster(Polynice)

5 out of the 8 teams made the tournament

46 minutes ago, 8Bucks said:

Year 4 sunk Archie. 

I agree and Beilein went on to win the Big Ten the following year at 13-5. I just don’t think Archie has the pieces to come close to that next year. I’m not hoping he fails, and would love for him to start a great 20 year run next year, but I don’t see it. 
Who knows....maybe we will win the BTT this year and make a run in the tourney. If that happens I’ll happily take the “I told you so” shots.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

We only lost by 4...79-75...

So they showed up...They just got beat...it happens...

Is this the Langford year where we lost 12 of 13?  Like I understand saying, "well we were this close" if you only look at that one game, but forget that paper cut.  We had both our legs chopped off before we had even made it to that game.

If you are looking about what went wrong that year, the Ohio State game in the BTT should be towards the end of the list.  

17 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Archie was trending up until this year? If we trend much higher we will soon be 14th. Beilein and Archie conference  records and finish:

JB

5-13 , 9th

9-9,  7th

7-11, 7th

9-9, 4th

Archies

9-9, 6th

8-12, 9th

9-11, 10th

7-11, 10th

My point is, the comparison to Beilein is not really a good one for you guys with torches and pitchforks...it's closer than you want to believe...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

My point is, the comparison to Beilein is not really a good one for you guys with torches and pitchforks...it's closer than you want to believe...

Ha,

Thinking our results have been mediocre, which is putting it kindly, equates to having torches and pitchforks? I’m starting to suspect you are Mrs. Miller. If so, thanks for taking the time to post and I wish your husband the best.

9 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Is this the Langford year where we lost 12 of 13?  Like I understand saying, "well we were this close" if you only look at that one game, but forget that paper cut.  We had both our legs chopped off before we had even made it to that game.

If you are looking about what went wrong that year, the Ohio State game in the BTT should be towards the end of the list.  

The point is, while we lost 12 of 13 as you say, we were still in a position to play our way into the tournament with that 1 game...

Archived