It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

Like I said in another thread I e-mailed Dolson again and wasn't as nice this time and said we better hear that Archie has been fired within the next 24 hours.  I know I get made fun of for doing this but I think if you want a change you need to do the same thing.  It is one thing to complain on this board but it won't make a difference like letting Dolson know personally.  It is embarrassing that IU is in the same breath as NW and Rutgers instead of the top of the big ten.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Like I said in another thread I e-mailed Dolson again and wasn't as nice this time and said we better hear that Archie has been fired within the next 24 hours.  I know I get made fun of for doing this but I think if you want a change you need to do the same thing.  It is one thing to complain on this board but it won't make a difference like letting Dolson know personally.  It is embarrassing that IU is in the same breath as NW and Rutgers instead of the top of the big ten.

Uh, IU is not in the same breath as Rutgers. We'd have to improve a great deal to be as good as Rutgers. 

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It is embarrassing that IU is in the same breath as NW and Rutgers instead of the top of the big ten.

What’s even more embarrassing is that I’m not sure you can even say IU is in the same breath as Rutgers. Hell, we have lost 4 in a row and 5/6 to Rutgers. Friggin Rutgers.

I mean could you imagine next year if he’s back? I mean it will be ruthless. Honestly, I don’t like him as our coach but I would never want what he’s about to endure next season to anyone. If they fire him... You have to get it right!! IU is long overdue to be stuck in neutral. 

1 minute ago, Sea Turtle said:

Indiana kind of deserves this for being arrogant and high and mighty enough to turn down Rick Pitino and John Calipari.

If we had hired Pitino, which of the following would have made you consider it may not have been a good move.

• Karen Sypher 'event' at Porcini's
  • Strippers being brought in to entice recruits.
  • Six figure payment to recruit.

As far as Calipari.  As bad as IU and Archie performed this year, we had a better season than UK.  Calipari's one and done approach is no longer a viable way to compete.  He won his single National Championship with a generational talent surrounded by a team full of other NBA players.  And, we STILL beat that team that year.   He will never win another one unless he changes the way he recruits.

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If we had hired Pitino, which of the following would have made you consider it may not have been a good move.

• Karen Sypher 'event' at Porcini's
  • Strippers being brought in to entice recruits.
  • Six figure payment to recruit.

As far as Calipari.  As bad as IU and Archie performed this year, we had a better season than UK.  Calipari's one and done approach is no longer a viable way to compete.  He won his single National Championship with a generational talent surrounded by a team full of other NBA players.  And, we STILL beat that team that year.   He will never win another one unless he changes the way he recruits.

I don't care about Karen. Ever here the Knight stories?

Compliance stops the other two. That and not having to do that at Indiana.

You would still trade Caliparis results with ours since he was hired.

40 minutes ago, madmax said:

Very curious what Fred Glass thinks about all of this. Even up until recently hes been diehard in his support of Archie, not that I would expect any different from the man who hired him.

I would guess this makes Fred sick to his stomach. Fred seemed to bleed IU and I have no doubt that he wanted to hire a coach that would win and be the high point of his legacy. 
It’s not working out, to say the least, but I’m not one of those that blame Fred. I don’t follow mid-major coaches but Archie was definitely one of the highest regarded young coaches in the country and Fred stepped up with a pretty fat contract to land him. Many (fans, media etc ) thought it was a great hire but sometimes things just don’t work out.

Just now, Sea Turtle said:

I don't care about Karen. Ever here the Knight stories?

Compliance stops the other two. That and not having to do that at Indiana.

You would still trade Caliparis results with ours since he was hired.

I wouldn't want his results if it meant being a one and done factory, It might surprise you but some still care as much about how you win than just winning.

1 minute ago, IU878176 said:

I would guess this makes Fred sick to his stomach. Fred seemed to bleed IU and I have no doubt that he wanted to hire a coach that would win and be the high point of his legacy. 
It’s not working out, to say the least, but I’m not one of those that blame Fred. I don’t follow mid-major coaches but Archie was definitely one of the highest regarded young coaches in the country and Fred stepped up with a pretty fat contract to land him. Many (fans, media etc ) thought it was a great hire but sometimes things just don’t work out.

Does the media ever say 'what a bad hire?'

The fans were pretty disappointed.

6 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

Does the media ever say 'what a bad hire?'

The fans were pretty disappointed.

The hire was widely hailed as a great hire. This is a small sample but there are many more examples.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2017/03/25/reaction-iu-hiring-archie-miller/99618802/

https://www.heraldbulletin.com/sports/former-iu-players-react-to-hiring-of-archie-miller/article_490ea87a-1352-11e7-bf98-ef84b722728e.html

https://bleacherreport.com/indiana-hires-archie-miller

To me Archie lost tonight's game at the 7:50 mark of the second half.  He took out TJD at 8:14 at a TV timeout which was fine but then 25 seconds later had another TV timeout and we were down 48-47.  There is no reason after two long TV timeouts not to have TJD back on the court. By the time he brought him back in we were down 8 and the game was pretty much over.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

To me Archie lost tonight's game at the 7:50 mark of the second half.  He took out TJD at 8:14 at a TV timeout which was fine but then 25 seconds later had another TV timeout and we were down 48-47.  There is no reason after two long TV timeouts not to have TJD back on the court. By the time he brought him back in we were down 8 and the game was pretty much over.

TJD was wasted at that point. He was struggling to get back down the floor. I don't think he had much left in the tank the rest of the game

Its easy to say that, but during that span we missed a wide open 3, a wide open elbow jumper and 2-3 layups, one from Race that was completely uncontested. 

Again, this isn't meant to be some big defense of Archie, but these are rudimentary, basic basketball plays. At some point players have to execute. 

He was saving him for the CBI.

41 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Frustrating to hear Archie talking about player fatigue and dealing with injuries. Nobody forced Archie to play with 11 scholarship players the past two seasons. 

Maybe if he didnt self-impose a scholarship limit on his team they'd be in a better position to manage fatigue and injuries.

It's just nonsense the way he's set up his roster and there is nobody to blame but himself.

Conditioning and dealing with injuries is part of the game, or it used to be.  

I really dont know what is going on.  Do we live in a wimpy world where even the tiniest injury put you on the bench.

I only played sports to my SR at the high school level but I played through pain and sprains and broken bones because I wanted to play and win. 

Archived