It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Serious question for everyone who thinks nothing could be different in a year: how many of you would be willing to change jobs, uproot your family, and move across the country after the year we've just had? How many of you would be more open to that after we've returned to more normalcy in the next year?

I know for me personally, I would be significantly more change averse right now then I'll likely be in a year. 

That is a fair point but I don’t think it would be definitive for all. For example, let’s say you are from Indiana and still have a lot of family here but due to Covid you did not get a chance to see them much and that made you realize what is important. Coaching in Boston or Waco is just too far. Or maybe you aren’t from Indiana but nearby and places like Alabama or Arkansas is further than you prefer from family. 

1 minute ago, 8Bucks said:

That is a fair point but I don’t think it would be definitive for all. For example, let’s say you are from Indiana and still have a lot of family here but due to Covid you did not get a chance to see them much and that made you realize what is important. Coaching in Boston or Waco is just too far. Or maybe you aren’t from Indiana but nearby and places like Alabama or Arkansas is further than you prefer from family. 

Sure, that's certainly possible. 

I can tell you from my experience living across the country from family, my wife and I have had many talks during Covid about moving home. But we also don't want to make that type of major decision until things are more normal so we can make a more informed decision. 

39 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Ah how silly of me to think the President could factor into a basketball hire. That's certainly never happened at IU. 

In your scenario I’d rather see IU fire Archie, hire Beilein. Stabilizing things over the next couple of season with a low buyout. Then make the move when Stevens and Boston part ways. 

edit: that way we are making progress without sticking with a coach who is in over his head. 

1 minute ago, Feathery said:

In your scenario I’d rather see IU fire Archie, hire Beilein. Stabilizing things over the next couple of season with a low buyout. Then make the move when Stevens and Boston part ways. 

edit: that way we are making progress without sticking with a coach who is in over his head. 

Sure, that's fair, but what if Beilen says no?

What is the BOT doesn't want him because of the thugs comment? Or McRobbie doesn't want him because of that, but we know he won't be around in a year?

Just now, IowaHoosierFan said:

I just don't understand this logic. I guess i never will.  Each to their own I guess.  I respect your opinion, i just don't understand it.

What don't you understand about it? If he continues to struggle to get to .500 in conference, then I'll have lost faith in his ability to get us where we want...Last year (pandemic) and this year (pandemic/injuries) kept me from wanting the axe right now...

But I see a lot of things I like about CAM...I see flashes of what this team can become...We were competitive in the vast majority of games we played...We were really only out of 3 games this year...And I think our backcourt and our inexperience were big reasons...

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

What is the BOT doesn't want him because of the thugs comment? Or McRobbie doesn't want him because of that, but we know he won't be around in a year?

Or what if Beilein struggles like he did starting out at Michigan?

And you're right...don't discount the "thugs" comment...that's his coaching Waterloo...

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Or what if Beilein struggles like he did starting out at Michigan?

And you're right...don't discount the "thugs" comment...that's his coaching Waterloo...

I’m not worried about that comment. Enough players have spoken out in his support it’s a nonissue at this point. He struggled until he adjusted at Michigan. He is a better coach now. Now worries about him for a short term hire. 

2 minutes ago, Feathery said:

I’m not worried about that comment. Enough players have spoken out in his support it’s a nonissue at this point. He struggled until he adjusted at Michigan. He is a better coach now. Now worries about him for a short term hire. 

I could very well be wrong, but I don't remember any younger players speaking out about it. I remember a lot of older guys speak out saying no big deal, but unfortunately guys that old are out of eligibility. 

EDIT: And this wasn't even about what the players think, it was about what McRobbie and the BOT might think. 

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

This from Matt Norlander of CBS

• Let's start with some coaching-cycle scuttlebutt. You better believe there are schools sending out feelers to people connected to coaches to politely gauge their interest in any potential openings. In talking to various sources in the past week, here's my impression as of today with power-conference gigs that have speculation around them and expectations in the coming days and weeks.   

Jobs I've been told are definitely opening: DePaul, Minnesota

Jobs I've been told are definitely not opening: Marquette, Miami, Notre Dame.

Jobs I've been told will probably not open: Indiana, Kansas State, South Carolina

Job I've been told is more likely to open than not: Iowa State

A unique situation no one can predict: Arizona.

Yeah like we can trust what cbs says. CBS  Clown Boy Show

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I could very well be wrong, but I don't remember any younger players speaking out about it. I remember a lot of older guys speak out saying no big deal, but unfortunately guys that old are out of eligibility. 

EDIT: And this wasn't even about what the players think, it was about what McRobbie and the BOT might think. 

Mcrobbie is the real problem

Maybe a decision has been made but Dolson is waiting until after selection Sunday. I've read that we are actually still in the running to make the NIT. I think it is not very probable that we make it in but it's still possible apparently. I seriously doubt Archie would be fired before we know for sure we have played in our last game this season. 

48 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

If he says no he says no. Still no reason to keep our worst coach in my lifetime and the coach who oversaw the worst conference run in a century. 

Serious question for those supporting the current situation with the IU basketball program. How could you support losing? This is not a debate about coaches are people too, or Archie is a good person, or if Archies wife is hot, because she clearly is. This is a debate bout is this what we want for the basketball program to look like? If you answer yes please explain.

51 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I was trying to illustrate this last weekend, to no avail.  I was trying to show that we need to be playing chess, not checkers.  IMO, the dumbest thing we can do is fire Archie and then hire whatever is in front of our face.  No, we need a well thought out plan, even if it means waiting a year.  It’s patently false to say we will have the exact same candidates next year for sure.  There are situations that can materialize in the meantime.  When I tried to illustrate this before, people argued the details and lost the point.  

Totally agree that there needs to be a well-defined and executed strategy. However, there is risk from waiting as well. Early next year, it's possible that some high profile programs could have job openings to retirements, etc. The competition for openings isn't that strong at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Feathery said:

If he says no he says no. Still no reason to keep our worst coach in my lifetime and the coach who oversaw the workday conference run in a century. 

Do you think a business is more likely to let a poor employee stay around longer when the market for replacements is not good? Or do you think most business would keep an employee that has disappointing performance but has never had conduct issue when the market for a replacement is poor?

11 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

Serious question for those supporting the current situation with the IU basketball program. How could you support losing? This is not a debate about coaches are people too, or Archie is a good person, or if Archies wife is hot, because she clearly is. This is a debate bout is this what we want for the basketball program to look like? If you answer yes please explain.

My “like” was not solely based upon the comment about Archie’s wife. But I will concede that those wanting to give him another year have them right to include her as one reason to do so.

That is all.

9 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Do you think a business is more likely to let a poor employee stay around longer when the market for replacements is not good? Or do you think most business would keep an employee that has disappointing performance but has never had conduct issue when the market for a replacement is poor?

Well when I worked for Conseco in my 2 years there think I had 4 managers.  All were let go because of job performance

3 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

My “like” was not solely based upon the comment about Archie’s wife. But I will concede that those wanting to give him another year have them right to include her as one reason to do so.

That is all.

I don't think I have seen his wife since his opening press conference

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

I get rid of the poor performing employee. This isn’t even a hypothetical for me, it’s my reality. When companies hold onto poor performers out of fear of a better replacement, that’s when culture suffers. Your high achievers have to pick up the low achievers slack and you start to lose them. When your culture is shot then you have an even bigger problem. 

I do not rate Archie highly as a coach. I see many coaches that are attainable that are better than Archie. I’m not even an Alford guy, but he is better than Archie. That’s how poor of a coach Archie is. Which is why I am adamant that a coaching change needs to be made. Another year just kicks the can for another year, delaying the process making IU better. 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Well when I worked for Conseco in my 2 years there think I had 4 managers.  All were let go because of job performance

I’d guess that one bud difference is when you let go on a manager and hire a new one if after a year they suck also then can them also. But with a coach if you can the one you have you’re stuck with the next for four years or more.

Archived