It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The time to have snagged Pitino was 2001 when he was very interested.  The timing was perfect for both parties. He was coming off Boston where Larry Bird and Kevin McHale weren’t walking through that door.  We were coming off zero tolerance.  

Now in an alternate universe, would our compliance people have kept the strippers and cash out of the mix?  I’d say yes.  

5 minutes ago, Shapopojoe said:

53....the problem is we let the younger fan base continue to embrace mediocrity and awesome dunks, dude or push into a Pitino....let’s be honest our generations are the last ones to value winning with ethics....just review all of the boards...Pitino is hot topic...hell, he might not even want the job, who knows but we have two directions....and I want to see a win before I kick the bucket...put him on a tight almost strangling leash and monitor him 

When I said older I was thinking 30+ so you definitely fall into that group but I think you're the exception in being open to a coach like Pitino.  My grandpa, one of the few fellow IU fans in my family, would probably kick the bucket at the idea of Pitino taking over the program that coaches like McCracken, Knight, and Davis led. 

Just for giggles I took a look at rupp riffraff a bit ago.  Saw a thread from some guy who was PO'ed at Vitale.  He posted:

To go out of his way and comment twice about Trendan Watfords brother making the biggest shot in Indiana history to beat UK. Just STFU Dick

"Biggest shot in Indiana history"? LOL

If I had $1 for every copy of the Keith Smart photo, I could pay Archie's buyout.

I think we need to let all the formal process play out before we accept the idea Archie is back.  Need to let selection Sunday complete, figure out contracts, get press release ready and so on.  The get reviewed by a bunch of people and take time.

if Archie is gone no way it’s not done by the start of the tournament.  With the tournament in Indiana a lot of easy drives to talk with coaches people that might be interested and no flight aware to get in the way.  If it’s happening it happens by Thursday IMO but no reason to force this out before it’s ready.  We all want a change but we can all sit back and just let things take shape.

15 minutes ago, Shapopojoe said:

It’s not the reasons you alluded to....the guy was just a PR disaster....he took knights team and then floundered....and his subsequent coaching disasters at other schools, proved the point...

A lot of people talked about all the racist letters that Davis use to receive and that is a reason some of the fan base never gave him a chance.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

A lot of people talked about all the racist letters that Davis use to receive and that is a reason some of the fan base never gave him a chance.

**Note: @IU Scott I am NOT pointing fingers at either you or anyone else in particular, so please take that into consideration with my following observation**

We've talked about "checkered pasts" for potential coaches, but when one of ours (Davis) received the hate mail that he did from his own "fanbase", maybe it's not simply the coaches that need to reset their thinking/approach.

As bad as the on-court performance of the last few years has been, it's nothing compared to the embarrassment those letters were and what they represented.

17 hours ago, ephul said:

You're joking, right? His last two years at Michigan he was 33-8 and 30-7. His recruiting wasn't amazing? Based on what? "Stars"?

And I'd say he left Howard with some damn good players. But his recruiting "wasn't amazing?"

I'm not arguing that he was a bad coach - he certainly had some very good years. I am arguing he wasn't amazing at recruiting. 247 has his class ranks as 51, 283, 34, 45, 29, 8, 14, 30, 107, 31, 43. This board would have a thread eviscerating him every year. He developed the heck out of some of those classes, but let's not pretend those guys were always his first choice - he regularly went after guys and lost to Izzo and the rest of the conference. His bench depth suffered because of it (as it suffers this year with the remnants of his players). On top of that, he is now deemed a racist, so it will be hard for him to even go that high.

He can coach, so I don't think it's a terrible idea to roll the dice on him, but it absolutely could be disasterous.

Regarding Coach Davis, I was behind him 100%.  Took my oldest to an IU game at age 10; hung around after the game and found ourselves outside the Press Room post-game (win) as we were passing through a hallway.  Coach was walking to the door, to go in, I had no idea the timing, and was gracious enough to stop, smile, say a couple words and sign our game program.  Classy, classy man.

I listened to his interview via Hoosier Hysterics several months ago, and came away with more respect for him. His son is a terrific player and he's been coaching him at Detroit Mercy. 

Unfortunate that it didn't work out with him, because he is just a great individual.

Here’s an eye opening observation....Correct me if I’m wrong, but not one current or past player has posted positive support of Archie during all this mess. The only thing I keep seeing is past IU players showing their frustration. Shouldn’t this red flag rank at the top of Dolson and Co.’s decision making? JMHO...🤔

39 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

How was it known they were IU fans? It could have been anyone that sent those..probably some that dont even know a thing about basketball that just want to stir s^*t.

3 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Here’s an eye opening observation....Correct me if I’m wrong, but not one current or past player has posted positive support of Archie during all this mess. The only thing I keep seeing is past IU players showing their frustration. Shouldn’t this red flag rank at the top of Dolson and Co.’s decision making? JMHO...🤔

I find it funny that during senior speeches the last few years his current players didn't mention Archie that much.

Archived