It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, IUFLA said:

If you're down 3 (one possession) with more than 40 seconds on the clock why would you foul? Get a stop and you have time to tie it.

Even a 50% FT shooter can ice the game if he fulfills his average...

Not many coaches think that way at all.  If IU was playing good defense and had a Steve Alford shooting the ball then I agree with you.  Plus a 50% free throw shooters percentage drops significantly in crunch time situations. As do all free throw shooters percentages 

23 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The only decision I question was sticking with Armaan. Beside that, what other decision(s) did you think we're bad?

A team that shoots 57% from FT line foul with 41 left immediately instead of playing for a stop and 1 opportunity.  Extend the game. I was screaming at the radio to foul but no one listened 

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

A team that shoots 57% from FT line foul with 41 left immediately instead of playing for a stop and 1 opportunity.  Extend the game. I was screaming at the radio to foul but no one listened 

I’ve been saying this, you absolutely have to extend the game!  Hell even if they are good free throw shooters you do it! Pressure changes everything!

19 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Not sure about what point, specifically, you're taking about...

If you're down 3 (one possession) with more than 50 seconds on the clock why would you foul? Get a stop and you have time to tie it.

I have to say on this you are wrong. 41 seconds left. Foul get 3 or 4 cracks at it. Instead they got 1 down 4. Play the percentages if no assistant coach was telling him then that is sad.

I have to say on this you are wrong. 41 seconds left. Foul get 3 or 4 cracks at it. Instead they got 1 down 4. Play the percentages if no assistant coach was telling him then that is sad.

Why give them the opportunity to get free points? That's insane to me. Get the stop and you'll have your shot...

Just now, IUFLA said:

Why give them the opportunity to get free points? That's insane to me. Get the stop and you'll have your shot...

U get 1 shot. We were in bonus not double. They shoot 57 percent as a team. Analytics tell you to, game feel tells you to. Every coaching handbook says to experience says to. If you don't get stop game over. Even if they hit both you are still a 2 possession game. You have to extend it if they miss you have plenty of time to take a quick 2. Most teams give up the quick 2 anyway. 

Just now, IUFLA said:

You were cackling for him last year, and now you've changed ponies...to Alford for God's sake...

I love Steve, but there's a reason he's at Nevada...

Alford would be far from my first choice.  But IU would never hire my top guys of the realistic candidates like Marshall or Pearl.

U get 1 shot. We were in bonus not double. They shoot 57 percent as a team. Analytics tell you to, game feel tells you to. Every coaching handbook says to experience says to. If you don't get stop game over. Even if they hit both you are still a 2 possession game. You have to extend it if they miss you have plenty of time to take a quick 2. Most teams give up the quick 2 anyway. 

And they shoot 57% in normal circumstances not crunch time in a close game! I don’t know any coaches who don’t extend the game anymore.  It just makes the most sense.  In the 80s and 90s not many if any did this.  Now it’s the norm.

I'll agree to disagree here...

Every coach I've ever heard, sans maybe Valvano, says if you have a one possession game you don't foul...you trust your D to get you that final shot...

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Every coach I've ever heard, sans maybe Valvano, says if you have a one possession game you don't foul...you trust your D to get you that final shot...

It was a terrible decision against a poor free throw shooting team. Playing defense requires a high level of effort and execution to 1) defend, 2) rebound and 3) go down and hit a three. Our team didn't look like it had that in them today, so start playing the math to your favor. 

Just now, IUFLA said:

I have never any in the past 20 years that does not extend the game. We are not good enough to get 1 must stop and a must 3 to go to OT. only chance was to extend the game 

4 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

And they shoot 57% in normal circumstances not crunch time in a close game! I don’t know any coaches who don’t extend the game anymore.  It just makes the most sense.  In the 80s and 90s not many if any did this.  Now it’s the norm.

I think it's situational. If you're talking about a team that shoots 75% I like playing defense there. 

Archived