It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Feathery said:

His $10 million buyout in a pandemic will get him another year. After next season it drops to around $3 mil (of memory is correct). I think he gets another year, unless a booster steps up to buy him out. 

Archie was on my list to hire on reputation alone. He wasn’t at the top by any means, but on the list. I worried about his offense. Many games at Dayton were very low scoring. He didn’t do great at Dayton until that conferences top teams went to a new conference. That’s when his teams were at the top of the conference. Also, Dayton coaches seem to do well there but not elsewhere, but that’s just a warning sign to me. 

If we do move on it will be a IU guy bc the pool is so shallow. Be prepared for Smart, Fife, or Alford. Tony Bennett would be a natural replacement because he runs a better version of the same defense. Easier transition. But I don’t think Bennett leave Virginia. 

I thought about this last night and it was exactly what I came up with as well. Administration and professors and heck even state officials would be in an uproar if in the middle of a pandemic and cutting programs and laying people off we are spending 10 million dollars of public money to let him go...plus likely 2-4 more million to buyout the coach you are hiring on top of a top 10 salary...wow the people will be in an uproar. I think next year will be the final straw for Archie if he can’t come through. It would just be tone deaf to do this now given the current economic environment of the country and school.

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

Tom Allen has said many times that people who say leaders are born are 100% wrong.

Tom Allen is 100% correct, too...

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

You have to find the guys that are capable of being a leader and then teach them how to lead. 

Easier said than done...I've been to more leadership training than I can count, as have many with a military background, and I can tell you no matter how much someone tries to teach a person how to lead, only certain people "get it." 

It can't just be words, it has to be actions...Anthony Leal said he makes 500 3 point shots a day...That takes incredible commitment and stamina...One day, that commitment and stamina will hopefully rub off on a few more people...

No one is going to follow someone who doesn't live up to the standards they're preaching...

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I thought about this last night and it was exactly what I came up with as well. Administration and professors and heck even state officials would be in an uproar if in the middle of a pandemic and cutting programs and laying people off we are spending 10 million dollars of public money to let him go...plus likely 2-4 more million to buyout the coach you are hiring on top of a top 10 salary...wow the people will be in an uproar. I think next year will be the final straw for Archie if he can’t come through. It would just be tone deaf to do this now given the current economic environment of the country and school.

Offsets happen when the coach gets a new job so it wouldn't be the full 10mil.  Plus, IU could pull from any one of the 1billion dollar endowments, which some are probably specifically for sports and handle this.  IU is not in any way shape or form in money trouble.  They would just have to use some rainy day money instead of a new parking lot for some place on campus.

But yes, he wlll most likely not get fired until after next year.  But that doesn't mean if they really wanted to, they couldn't.  They could easily and not miss a beat or even see a dent in their financial books

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Easier said than done...I've been to more leadership training than I can count, as have many with a military background, and I can tell you no matter how much someone tries to teach a person how to lead, only certain people "get it." 

It can't just be words, it has to be actions...Anthony Leal said he makes 500 3 point shots a day...That takes incredible commitment and stamina...One day, that commitment and stamina will hopefully rub off on a few more people...

No one is going to follow someone who doesn't live up to the standards they're preaching...

We have a whole team that says differently :D 

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

UCLA is terrible.  They didn't go big game hunting and they under fund their recruiting and sports programs.  I used Brad Stevens as an example.  And to be honest, no know really knows what anyone would say to 10mil a year for 5 years.  But there are coaches who would come to IU for the right money and the right contract.  Hell even bringing Sampson back would be an upgrade at this point.

UCLA is 10-2 this year

1 hour ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Totally agree, expecially the bolded part.  My feeling is that posters don't dislike Archie, many of us actually like him and deeply wished he'd been able to deliver.  I hope people don't go after him personally,  I doubt we here would but there are some morons on social media (and rivals) that may very well do so.

It started on Facebook along time ago

19 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I think 10 million/year is a bit crazy, but I think UCLA set the market with Cronin. So if we're talking names like Hamilton, Beard, Wright etc. we'll need to be around $6 million/year. And who's to say those coach's schools would try and match it?  Realistically, I just don't see IU spending that especially after their athletic department getting slammed from COVID. If (a big if) CAM goes after next year maybe we go inside the family and look at Whitman or Smart and pair them up with a veteran assistant like UM. 

John Calipari, Kentucky: $8,158,000

Mike Krzyzewski, Duke: $7,256,924 

Mick Cronin, UCLA: $5,500,000, including a $2 million signing bonus

Rick Barnes, Tennessee: $4,700,000 

Chris Beard, Texas Tech: $4,430,000 

Jay Wright, Villanova: $4,410,304

Tom Izzo, Michigan State: $4,191,070

Roy Williams, North Carolina: $4,102,409

Chris Mack, Louisville: $4,067,494

Bill Self, Kansas: $3,985,857

If we want to flirt around the idea of a Stevens, Wright, Bennett.  Probably 7ish.  

Beard 6ish.  

But let's not play embarrassing games like UCLA did.  

Covid and buyout probably buy a year and I'm guessing we don't piss the bed the rest of the year either anyways.  

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

I like Oats.  

I will literally quit with Alford.  Probably would start cheering for my high school friends son when he gets to Purdue next year.  

Cronin might not be the prettiest looking coach but he can flat out coach some ball.  They lucked out.  He would coach the pants off of Cal.  

Oats would be my worst nightmare because he is purely about analytics. He wants just 3's and layups.  Here are the percentages of how their points are scored

Points in the lane 43%

From 3's 36%

From the line 19%

Mid range 2%

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Well sure.  Someone said Stevens isn't coming for 15 million.  This program brings in last I saw 40 mil annually. Do you invest in the wealth of your program to get wealth back?

Also, do you look like UCLA in the process and get embarrassed?

UCLA is going to win the Pac10 and be a tournament team under Cronin at least. Sure it was embarrassing the Cal offer but they still are sitting better at coach and team then us.

18 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Exactly and CAM is paid handsomely to find them shape them and win with them.

17 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Offsets happen when the coach gets a new job so it wouldn't be the full 10mil.  Plus, IU could pull from any one of the 1billion dollar endowments, which some are probably specifically for sports and handle this.  IU is not in any way shape or form in money trouble.  They would just have to use some rainy day money instead of a new parking lot for some place on campus.

But yes, he wlll most likely not get fired until after next year.  But that doesn't mean if they really wanted to, they couldn't.  They could easily and not miss a beat or even see a dent in their financial books

Of course IU has the money...but it’s the image it presents. This is 2021...the truth doesn’t matter it’s how people will spin the truth and use it to go after the people that would make the decision.

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Exactly and CAM is paid handsomely to find them shape them and win with them.

Tom Allen didn't say anyone can be a leader...Just that they can be made...You can name leaders all day and twice on Sunday, but good leaders are harder to find...We found one in Tom Allen...

As I said, only certain people "get it." 

Archived