It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, iucane said:

I just don't get why Fife is on any list???  IU should be hiring coaches with more proven HC experience

To me it would come down to what his plan would be to turn things around and what kind of staff he would hire. He wouldn't be my first choice but if the others said no then he couldn't really do any worse than what's already being done. 

53 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Fair points, and I agree with what you both are saying. I honestly don't know what to think. I see signs of him being a solid coach - some of the plays coming out of TOs and to start the game are well designed, for example - but then there's the obvious issues that don't seem to be improving, or one thing improves and another regresses. The defensive numbers are certainly alarming. To be completely fair, this is also a pretty young team in a conference that is as good as it has even been, and it shows. But, again, the buck stops with CAM.

I guess I'm just not mentally ready to go through yet another coaching change, and was really hoping we had our answer for the next two decades in CAM. 

I think many are gun shy about a coaching change because they automatically think it’s going to be “four more crap years” before we can tell if we are gonna have a good coach her not.” That isn’t usually the case.

Usually if you get the right guy you’re excited in year two and sometimes even somewhat year one.

Great hire takes this roster and IMMEDIATELY does more than we’ve seen. They wouldn’t win a conference title or go to a Sweet 16 but we’d SEE the difference we’d need to see in order to have HOPE AGAIN. 

We should take the approach Jeopardy is doing while they look for a permanent replacement for Alex Trebek.  They have a series of celebrity hosts lined up.

Here are some the Hoosier basketball program could consider

• Dickie V.  - What better way to bring attention to your program than have Dickie V on your bench 
  • Don Fischer - The man has seen it all over the years.  And, he is in tune with the fan base.
  • Sister Jean - She already led Loyola Chicago to the Final Four
  • Pete Rose - I bet we would be competitive in not time
  • Gene Hackman - Greatest chance at a Hollywood ending to the season.

Who else you got?

4 minutes ago, iucane said:

I just don't get why Fife is on any list???  IU should be hiring coaches with more proven HC experience

It’s insane Fife would be on anyone’s list. No way. That would be a worse resume than several hires. Heck maybe worse than DAVIS because one could at least argue Davis hasn’t had a shot to be a head coach yet. Fife has and didn’t cut it.

Fife needs to go get a mid major job and show what he’s got for a few years.

18 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Man, you are going to die on this hill and its not worth it.  There are so many other points you could be willing to stand your ground on but this seems like one you should just move past.  Its Schrodinger's Cat man.  We both made and missed the tourney last year because there was no selection Sunday. 

And it's not just the anti-CAM guys that are saying this.  it's everyone, except you and maybe 1 other person. 

Is it technically correct to say we missed last year.  No.  Is it correct to say we made it. No.

Look, it's like this with me...people are finding every little morsel they can to pile on...and that's fine...as long as it's grounded in truth, I have no issue with it...I do think the fact that people ignore a lot of what's went on during Archie's tenure (and I've outlined them in various other threads, so I'm not doing it here) is sad...

Odds are, he gets next year...There's a big difference between 10 million and 3 million to anybody with a brain...And if things fall right, we can be a very good team next year...

And this season isn't over...I see people during game threads giving up 5 minutes into the game...I hope they don't live the rest of their lives that way...

And I'll never let the "group think" sweep me up...I make my own assessment and decisions...And right now I'm saying let's assess after next year...If we're still struggling to be .500 in the B1G, I'd listen to names...But it'd have to be a "home run" hire...I wouldn't be for another mid-major coach coming in, or some other "up and comer." Established guy with a clean record...

Some people don't seem to want to respect that...To them I say, "Too bad."

I respect people that want to make the change as long as they base their stance on facts and not BS lies...

Maybe Fife is the guy to finally fix IU. I mean it is kind of his fault that IU has started spiraling in the first place after RMK was fired. Yes he was a really good player but it all started when he and others on the team threatened to transfer unless Mike Davis was hired and the administration went along with it. That's why students don't make hires and maybe he could fix the mistake that he and his teammates at the time helped create that IU hasn't been able to right itself in the last 20 years.  

I just don’t understand why Archie hasn’t recruited or gotten transfers to replace Durham an Rob. Great guys but he has got to know neither can carry the load we need. They both could be good spot players but he needed to go get some players. 
How long did he think the fans at IU would put up with this crap. Haven’t beat Purdue are Mich in 5 years. Haven’t been to the NCAA tournament and please don’t say we would have been in it last year. We were a bubble team again hoping to be picked. 
Does anyone really think this freshmen class is the answer! I don’t I think so. We are bottom to middle tier of Big Ten again next year. 

6 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

And Danny Ainge has said their roster isn't talented enough. Brad's not going anywhere especially after signing that extension. 

Understood.  But, if IU does not make an offer to Stevens (more than one) when the Hoosier job opens, rest assured Duke or UNC will within the next 3-5 years.  Even if the odds are 99.9932599 against him accepting, the offer has to be made.  

I really hope Drew is actually being considered. He's still young at 50 and has some Indiana ties with his Dad and going to Butler. Baylor has been amazing these last two years and I think he'd be able to get us back in the National title contention. He's making under 3 million this year so it would be easier to give him a raise versus someone like Chris Beard. They have a top 10 recruiting class next year and he has also shown the ability to develop transfers based off this years team. Plus his team leads the country in 3 point shooting percentage along with being the best defensive team in the nation.  I miss watching a great shooting team. He had another top 5 team last year. It'd be nice to be in the title hunt again. 

19 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Look, it's like this with me...people are finding every little morsel they can to pile on...and that's fine...as long as it's grounded in truth, I have no issue with it...I do think the fact that people ignore a lot of what's went on during Archie's tenure (and I've outlined them in various other threads, so I'm not doing it here) is sad...

Odds are, he gets next year...There's a big difference between 10 million and 3 million to anybody with a brain...And if things fall right, we can be a very good team next year...

And this season isn't over...I see people during game threads giving up 5 minutes into the game...I hope they don't live the rest of their lives that way...

And I'll never let the "group think" sweep me up...I make my own assessment and decisions...And right now I'm saying let's assess after next year...If we're still struggling to be .500 in the B1G, I'd listen to names...But it'd have to be a "home run" hire...I wouldn't be for another mid-major coach coming in, or some other "up and comer." Established guy with a clean record...

Some people do seem to want to respect that...To them I say, "Too bad."

I respect people that want to make the change as long as they base their stance on facts and not BS lies...

Facts:

1.  Defense is supposed to be our forte.  We are ranked 11th in our conference in defensive efficiency this year.  That is supposed to be what we do well.

2.  You'll say the year is not over yet and COVID yada, yada...but we've never played in the NCAA tournament while Miller has been here.

3.  We have never finished over .500 in our conference since Miller has been here.  Going back to Crean, we are looking at 5 straight years of this.  The first time that has happened since we joined the Big Ten Conference.

4.  He has a worse winning percentage at the moment then Mike Davis had over his 6 year IU career.  (Mike got worse and Archie got "better" by winning games against mediocre competition outside the conference).  He is barely above Crean and Crean started out with 1 returning scholarship player and had guys from the baseball team on his first roster.

5.  Al Durham is the first 4 year IU player to never make the top 10 as part of the IU program.  He hasn't made the top 20 either.  All (not)  done under Miller.  Al Durham has had the worst team oriented career of any 4 year player at IU in the history of the program.  That coincides with the 4 years Miller was coach.

And your argument is to just give him another try so that hopefully all the stars perfectly align for him to have a chance to stumble into the tournament in year 5.  Why?  7 million dollars is a drop in the bucket when this all gets rolling again and that cost is probably going to be reduced when he gets another job.  We spent $26.5 million of AD money on an international studies building for Pete's sake.  $7 million is nothing in the grand scheme of things.  Particularly if the program gets running again.  People donate when that program is doing well.  We tried things your way when it was apparent Davis was not the answer.  We tried it again when it was apparent Crean was not the answer.  Let's go the cut throat route just this once and see what happens.  And by cut throat I mean cut the guy loose and make an offer to our guy that they cannot say no to.  No matter who that guy happens to be.

56 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So let me ask you this...

If MSU would by some miracle make it this year, his streak would be broken anyway? 

When you were coaching, if you had a 10 game winning streak, and your next opponent had to cancel for, oh, I don't know, safety reasons, and your school mutually agreed to the cancelation, does that mean your winning streak is snapped?

I know people are desperate to get Archie out, but don't BS it...

And I'll say this...I think people should be careful what they wish for...

I warned people that when Crean was on the hot seat.

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Some people don't seem to want to respect that...To them I say, "Too bad."

I just figured out why you are such an avid CAM supporter.  You be you man.  You be you

I need to say that Fife is one of my all time favorite Hoosiers. However, he's one quirky dude. I don't mean that as an insult - it's probably one of the main reasons we all love him. That said, I'd like to see how his personality translate into being a head coach at a mid-major before we go all in on him. 

I'll also reiterate what I've said in the past. We better have a bird in the hand if CAM were to get fired after this season. I will agree @IUFLA when he says be careful what you wish for. I don't want to fire CAM and be backed into a corner if the top candidates for his replacement say 'no' in a coaching search. In that scenario, I'd rather see what CAM can do with one more year than being hung out to dry with another 'up and comer'. 

Archived